Neptune Aquatics

SPS branches fusing

Ibn

Some of the branches in my tank have grown into each other and combined to create thicker branches. Normal due to high flow?

It's happening with the tricolora valida and two millepora so far.

I think when I move my corals around they shift they way they grow - toward the light. Not all my corals do this. So far I know my red millie has done this, and my unknown brown table acro does this to.

Hmm, would make sense. I've gone and attached them to the rockwork so we'll see if it continues when the corals aren't being moved.

I have my lights on a chain over the tank and able to move them around a little. I hope it will prevent the coral from growing in just one direction. :)

Also have to recall a coral is not a single organism, it's growing where it wants to grow with each successive generation of polyps, that's to say one branch doesn't know what the other branch is doing, so if they happen to want to go towards the same location they will.. and encrust onto one another.

millis will table on you so what your seeing is most likely normal, as well as I have a valida that tables as well, not like an efflo mind you but it has a thick trunk and a large flat area where the branches emerge.

The green milli I brought to the swap I frag often to keep it from fusing and becoming more difficult to frag and keep under control.

Back