Our mission

Suggestions for new fish

cwolfus

Past President
Hi All,

So my new 70 is in place and mostly stable. It's time for some new fish. I currently have a med yellow tang, an ocellaris, and a blue w/ yellow tail damsel. Any suggestions for colorfull fish that don't hide all the time and are reef safe?

-C

Pseudochromis can be extremely aggressive even against fish 5x their size and they will take down even a large cleaner shrimp in minutes. If you value your shrimp, avoid pseudos. I know a single Royal Gramma might seem obvious, or how about a harem of Royal Gramma!? They are extremely colorful, always out and about, and have a lot of personality. Plus they are bulletproof.

saltwater molly!!

just kidding.

Are you going for small fish? or you want a medium? Or centerpiece?

for small fish, maybe a couple bangghai (sp?) cardinal fish would be neat! the threadfin (bluestreak) might be cool too (lepagous or something or another).

you know what else I think are cool are the meiacanthus (sp?) blennies. they are always out and about because they evolved to avoid predation (venomous) and have no need to pick on other fish.

Kinetic,
Do you know where I might find some bluestreak cardinals?

Darcitananda,
Pseudochromis do tend to be agressive for their size, but if you pick smaller species you can work with them. I think in cwolfus's 70 they'll be cool. A nice pseudo that stays small and harmless is P. elongatus.
I've kept many a pseudochromis with shrimp (granted the were lysmata, not very small or delicate ones like perclimenes).
One thought...fairy wrasses? A lot of them are colorful, all reef safe, and after they settle in aren't TOO shy. They are jumpers, though.

[quote author=blink* link=topic=1672.msg15425#msg15425 date=1170393944]
Kinetic,
Do you know where I might find some bluestreak cardinals?[/quote]

I saw a lot the end of last year show up at almost all the LFS's I visited, namely at All About Fish (It's so close to my work, I go there on my way home). I didn't see any today, but they sure were plentiful about a month ago. I'll keep my eyes peeled next time.

I want to go and get a longspine urchin they have, a nice big maxima clam, and probably a handful of bangghai. But I'll have to wait until next sunday probably =P

By "reef safe" you mean safe against corals? or mobile invertabrates? (shrimp, snails, crabs) If it's the former then a hawkfish would be a nice colorful addition, however they will eat shrimps n' stuff (ask about Zorro to Darci :))

Zorro evil!

How about a mandarin, if you can get it to eat? colorful, reef safe, interesting. maybe a pair so you can observe their spawning dance.

[quote author=darcitananda link=topic=1672.msg15453#msg15453 date=1170475961]

How about a mandarin, if you can get it to eat? colorful, reef safe, interesting. maybe a pair so you can observe their spawning dance.
[/quote]

That would have my vote

some people say more work on them but how about some anthias ??? People say feed them 3 times a day, I only feed mine when I get home.
I heard lyretail, sunburst, bartlett, or dispar anthias...

or wrasses
talk about colorfull
http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=01-4144
http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=01-5019
http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=01-5018-10

this one I am getting soon..

http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=01-5025-10

I have one lyretail that is turning to a male - it's fat - it eats anything

The female is super skinny and apparently like to sample frozen mysis only.

I only feed my fish when I get home - so that makes it once a day. I think it really depends as far as Anthias go is if they are eating and what are they eating.

Sheesh!

I guy can't even buy chromis in private anymore! ;-)

I bought 6 chromis at OT after the swap on Saturday. I still have all 6! My experience with Chromis has always been you lose about 50% but so far these guys are playing by their own rules!

But I still want a good sand sifter. What does everythig think about a twin-spot goby?

C

Sorry to out you man : ) twin spots are good, but they do like to dig so make sure your rock work is stable. Are they schooling in the open yet?

Yeah, but they are mostly staying up at the top. Whenever one or two venture to far my tang and/or ocellaris chase them off. Must be fishie hazing (w/o the keg). :)

C

I was reading about twin spots, and the success rate for them is really slim. I see a lot of them in pairs at the stores, so they might be cool. They're kinda small, so with just one might get lost.

There's also those cool gobies that are mostly white, with a blue streak and yellow around their eyes... name escapes me. I see them gulping up sand all the time.

Have you seen those cool fingered dragonets?
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1130&cc=1

Liveaquaria picture doesn't do it justice! But I've seen one in person, and WOW. Kinda cool like a scorpionfish, some have neat florescents in the fins, get larger than most gobies, and when they are extended with their fins, they're HUGE looking.

If you want really good sand sifters... then these would be the best imo... I've tried almost every type of typical sand sifters that people get... ( goldenhead, diamond, engineers, twin spots, different sleeper heads and finally dragon gobies " banded " )

these far most sift more sand and move more sand than any of these gobies mentioned..
These breed as well in your tank, I've had them breed in my tank twice already..

DSC02939.jpg

picture of eggs on top of them under the rocks..
Picture002.jpg

Back