got ethical husbandry?

Tank of a lifetime 215 in wall

I noticed that I have RED BUGS on my acros after I saw a pic on the BAR reef talk forum.
I had never seen them before that but they might have been there a while(so tiny). To date I have never sold or traded corals. I suspect that the red bugs came on some corals that I purchased from a reef central guy that was breaking down his tank. I am still debating what to do as my tank is running like fine timepiece and I only see the RED BUGS on two corals out of about 70. It may prevent me from participating in any DBTC.

To date I have never sold or traded corals.

I suspect that the red bugs came on some corals that I purchased from a reef central guy that was breaking down his tank.
You traded corals, you traded corals for money :D

But in all seriousness, red bugs are not genetically engineered by some mad reefer wanting to get back at the world. They came from the wild, and ended up in wholesalers probably infecting their system and every coral in it, then to some store and infected their systems, then to some reefer. It's not always a symptom of trading, if you have faith in any store to have pest free corals you might as well assume everyone person out there has pest free corals (translation: there's no such thing as the perfect store :D).

Red bugs will tend to favor certain corals that's for sure, IIRC they only go on acropora corals, and then within those some are more favorable than others. But if you have 2 with them, I'd assume every acropora in your tank potentially has them or will get them eventually.

However treating this with interceptor really is a breeze, if you want some pest in your tank this is the pest to have, very easily treatable only side effects will be against hermits, shrimp, and your *pods, even then it might not affect them if you don't go over board.

Also I wouldn't curl up like your a leper as a result of this, feel free to trade away, just let people know you have red bugs. People should be treating every coral coming into their tank as if they have the plague anyways, if they're carefree enough just to toss in a coral then it really isn't your fault.

Red bugs and monti eating nudis are under control for now. I have not seen any in over a week.
The monti eating nudis were on 4 different montis and I was able to QT three of them.
I have over ten encrusted montis in the tank that I can not remove.
The biggest Monti eating nudi that I found was no bigger than a flea.
I never found any eggs.
I am watching like a hawk.
so far so good.

fishez4alivin said:
IMG_4717.jpg

Is that in Alameda? My brother does commercial fishing too. He have a boat name Victory. BTW, love the tank!

Success! :) :) :)
I have not seen one nudi in the tank for over a month.
All montis are healthy and growing in the main tank.
I have a healthy population of Monti eating nudis in QT if anyone would like some :D

On another note the red bugs are gone. I treated the tank with interceptor twice.
The first dose seemed to have killed all the red bugs (1/2 tablet for 200 gallons)
The second dose( 1 1/2 tablets) finally whacked the evil peppermint shrimp that were eating my acans.
(I tried to catch them for two weeks and caught almost every thing else three times)
As of now all is well. Except, I cant find the needle valve for my CO2 reactor that I cleaned when I ran out of CO2 last week.
Tank is looking great and all params are good!!!!

sfsuphysics said:
To date I have never sold or traded corals.

I suspect that the red bugs came on some corals that I purchased from a reef central guy that was breaking down his tank.
You traded corals, you traded corals for money :D

But in all seriousness, red bugs are not genetically engineered by some mad reefer wanting to get back at the world. They came from the wild, and ended up in wholesalers probably infecting their system and every coral in it, then to some store and infected their systems, then to some reefer. It's not always a symptom of trading, if you have faith in any store to have pest free corals you might as well assume everyone person out there has pest free corals (translation: there's no such thing as the perfect store :D).

Red bugs will tend to favor certain corals that's for sure, IIRC they only go on acropora corals, and then within those some are more favorable than others. But if you have 2 with them, I'd assume every acropora in your tank potentially has them or will get them eventually.

However treating this with interceptor really is a breeze, if you want some pest in your tank this is the pest to have, very easily treatable only side effects will be against hermits, shrimp, and your *pods, even then it might not affect them if you don't go over board.

Also I wouldn't curl up like your a leper as a result of this, feel free to trade away, just let people know you have red bugs. People should be treating every coral coming into their tank as if they have the plague anyways, if they're carefree enough just to toss in a coral then it really isn't your fault.

In all my years I have never seen Red Bugs in any wholesaler I have visited (which is most in the US ;))

Back