Our mission

Tap water?!

Hey all,

OK, 3 of the 4 reefers I've met here in the Bay Area say they use straight, dechlorinated tap water for their tanks. Has something changed recently with the Bay Area's water? Or are most captive-bred critters raised in tap water these days?

I know this question may seem facetious, but this is really shocking to me. When I left the hobby about 7 years ago, it was high treason to not use RO/DI water. And for those of you using tap water, how has your experience been?

Thanks!

Mike

Some of the BA water sources like hetch hetchy are known for high quality water. East Bay MUD is known for some of the best water quality in the US and SJ from what I hear isn't that far behind. Now my water in SC is not good at all and I use RODI but i'll be ditching the RO part shortly for a larger DI :D No waste same quality water!

Last time I TDS'd San Francisco tap water in Inner Richmond the average was about 35ppm which is really, really good. There's still the chlorine and other stuff in there but compared to many other places in the US our water quality is very good. I still RO/DI all my water regardless of the quality.

Dagnabit. Haha, yea, that waste water is KILLING me. I live in a brand, spanking new community with very tight restrictions on water usage. I have a feeling I may get hit hard come next month. What DI unit are you planning on getting?

Gee, I may be asking for it.
But!
I have been using tap water for a the entire length of which I have been keeping marine organisms -about a year and a half, give or take, and I have not seen any adverse side effects, despite some mentioning "tap water will kill your reef."
My main reasoning for not getting an RODI unit is that space simply does not allow for me to conveniently run one.
For what it is worth, I know more than a handful people who use straight de-chlorinated tap water, without any ill effects.
Yes I am sure corals and fish don't benefit from from the metals and minerals from tap water, but I haven't seen it causing them any detriment.
Of course using RODI water in our reefs is ideal, not to mention preferable over tap water, but for some of us, like myself, I have not experienced any problems with good ol' tap.

I am aware that use of an RO unit produces x gallons of waste water for every x gallons of purified water, if I understand things correctly.
Gresham, you mentioned you will be getting a larger DI unit ... from your post I am inferring that no waste water is produced during the de-ionization process?

I'm using the Mightymite 50GPD from air water ice. Best $100 I've spent on the reef so far. The LFS I was getting RO/DI from had a TDS reading of around 110ppm, higher than local tap water... I was wondering why I had a diatom problem.... ;)

Yah straight DI has no waste per say, however, it does tend to cost more as the DI resin isn't that cheap. I may end up going the Culligan route as for $80 + monthly rental I can get a huge canister that will last over half a year for me :)

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5618.msg70433#msg70433 date=1229638045]
Yah straight DI has no waste per say, however, it does tend to cost more as the DI resin isn't that cheap. I may end up going the Culligan route as for $80 + monthly rental I can get a huge canister that will last over half a year for me :)
[/quote]

Thanks Gresh
Where is a place to look into small DI units?

Airwaterice is a solid company. Maybe something like this?

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1DOUBDIDUALTDS/Twin_DI_with_Dual_inline_TDS_Meter.html

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5618.msg70433#msg70433 date=1229638045]
[/quote]

That's not too shabby either. Hmm, I'm going to have to get a TDS meter and measure what our ppm is here. We're so tightly restricted here it's almost unbelievable. I think my wife and I are limited to 200 GPD total; the average person uses 100 GPD. So basically, we have nothing for the aquarium or the backyard :D

SJC tapwater is about 350-450 ppm.. Good luck if you are going to use it :D .. My tank is not big enough to buy an RO/DI unit so I use drinking water.

[quote author=badbread link=topic=5618.msg70432#msg70432 date=1229637983]
I'm using the Mightymite 50GPD from air water ice. Best $100 I've spent on the reef so far. The LFS I was getting RO/DI from had a TDS reading of around 110ppm, higher than local tap water... I was wondering why I had a diatom problem.... ;)
[/quote]

Hm, I'm getting a diatom bloom too. but my problem is probably old filter cartridges in the used unit I bought.

[quote author=badbread link=topic=5618.msg70423#msg70423 date=1229637445]
Last time I TDS'd San Francisco tap water in Inner Richmond the average was about 35ppm which is really, really good. There's still the chlorine and other stuff in there but compared to many other places in the US our water quality is very good. I still RO/DI all my water regardless of the quality.
[/quote]

Hey Jay, do you think the water in the sunset will be worse than yours?

Hrm, no idea. I think things like household piping, street piping, etc... may contribute to your TDS reading as well. Your welcome to borrow my meter if you'd like. Let me know.

[quote author=badbread link=topic=5618.msg70465#msg70465 date=1229642445]
Hrm, no idea. I think things like household piping, street piping, etc... may contribute to your TDS reading as well. Your welcome to borrow my meter if you'd like. Let me know.
[/quote]

Yeah would you mind if I borrowed it? I am a little curious about the status of my water ... if it is near 35 ppm, I'd be happy.
Are these bad boys pretty easy to use? I've never used one before.

Message sent bread

So, one more time ...
Obviously a TDS reading of zero is ideal.
Gresham mention 35ppm is okay.
What at ppm level would one begin to worry?

I can only speak for myself but I have always operated under the assumption that once my RO/DI starts spitting out a tds of around 5-6 it's time to change filters. For me that gives me a filter life of about 6-8 months. The tap here in Morgan Hill spits out in the 420-430's.... really bad. My RO/DI is currently spitting out water at around 2-3 TDS. I have filters on hand to change out once I see them go to 5. Once I do I can count on 0 TDS for about 4 months.

Back