Cali Kid Corals

Tap water?!

I used tapwater to mix the saltwater.
I add the chlorine remover (those liquid that is being sold in Petsmart) and let the water aged in a bucked for about a week before using it.

[quote author=badbread link=topic=5618.msg70465#msg70465 date=1229642445]
Hrm, no idea. I think things like household piping, street piping, etc... may contribute to your TDS reading as well. Your welcome to borrow my meter if you'd like. Let me know.
[/quote]

That is HUGE factor depending on where you live in the city, how old the building is, how old the street system is, etc.

I guess i'm spoiled in that we have a very large ro/di unit (125gpm) at my work. Basically costs a couple of cents a gal. So I use DI all the time.

I hate to admit this, but I use tap water. Luckily, we live in the East Bay under East Bay MUD. I also use polyfilter, phosban, and carbon in my tanks to make extra sure things are taken care of. :)

I wanted an RO/DI unit, but it's not doable at this time. One day...

My TDS readings are about the same as bryans 25-30, I tried the old tap water thing for about a week and a half about a year ago when my RO unit went Kabluie and I lost 1/2 of my corals I'm sure it's from the Cholramines so yesterday My TDS meter has been climbing up towards the twenty something mark and I won't be going down that road again so I just ordered the 100 GPD Typhoon III from water and Ice, it will be nice to have a decent system again.

[quote author=corals b 4 bills link=topic=5618.msg70568#msg70568 date=1229666742]
My TDS readings are about the same as bryans 25-30, I tried the old tap water thing for about a week and a half about a year ago when my RO unit went Kabluie and I lost 1/2 of my corals I'm sure it's from the Cholramines so yesterday My TDS meter has been climbing up towards the twenty something mark and I won't be going down that road again so I just ordered the 100 GPD Typhoon III from water and Ice, it will be nice to have a decent system again.
[/quote]

When you were using the tap water, you didn't use any water conditioner to remove chlorine/chloramines?

I have no problems with TDS here in Redwood City (4-5 before DI, 0 after) but have a major issue with a lot of particles in the water that clog up my filters. Every two months they need to be replaced because they are completely clogged, pressure on the gauge goes down to 0.

Back