Our mission

Tapmorf's 24 Pod

I have seen some good growth with the corals in the tank.

But this past week I noticed these tiny small black specks, which I thought at first were just detritus, but today I saw them moving around. |( They are half the size of a speck of black pepper, like a small mark that a pointed pencil would make. Upon further research, I think I have something called black bugs (similar but not identical to red bugs). They tend to stay on montiporas, especially the Idaho Grape, and the rest of the montis, I have noticed a couple specks here and there. Further research suggests that I treat with a diluted solution of 3ml of Betadine to 1 liter of tank water, dip corals for 25 minutes.

Well today I gave the Betadine a try. I prepared a dip with 3ml of Betadine (from Walgreens) and mixed it in with 1 liter of tank water. Then I proceeded to remove all the monti corals from the tank and placed them into the dip. After 15 minutes I started to blast them in the solution with the turkey baster, I was amazed at the amount of little black bugs coming off the corals, mainly off the Idaho Grape. Then I let them sit in there for another 10 minutes, then blasted them again. From looking at the corals, it looks like all the black bugs had come off the corals. I visually inspected each coral while I blasted them with the solution. I then put the treated corals in another container of tank water and blasted them again with the turkey baster. A few more fell off and it appears that there are no more. After 15 minutes, I blasted and then returned them to the tank. After another half hour or so, the corals started to slime slightly in the tank and do not display any loss of color. I will be keeping an eye on them.

When I looked into the container of betadine and tank water mixture I noticed that a few of the black bugs were still swimming around crazily and that was at about 40 minutes. At almost an hour a few of the bugs are still swimming but slowing down. This leads to me to think that I may have to do this treatment again in the future.

I have not noticed any black bugs after the treatment.

I just replaced the Tunze Nano Skimmer (which I unplugged for about 2 weeks now) with a AquaC Remora Nano. I am a sucker for AquaC skimmers. The skimmer is quite noisy and producing a ton of microbubbles, but according to the makers, this should not be a problem after the initial break in period 1-2 weeks.

P4113451.jpg

P4113450.jpg

P4113448.jpg

Small update:
My yellow assessor decided to jump out last week. Very interesting fish and must be one of my all time favorites.
He was the only fish in my tank, must have been spooked.
Recently, purchased a solarensis fairy wrasse from Neptune Aquatics for a planned upgrade. Guess you could say the nano is a QT for him for now.
Finally upgrading the nano. More updates to come . . .

Joyce, welcome back. My son is getting a nano for his GF in Davis and will probably need a small chiller. Did you still have the Iceprobe? he may be able to use the equipment that was too small for your tank. LMK if you have stuff you don't need. Skimmer, etc.

The tank looks great!!!

I do still have the Iceprobe Chiller and proportional temp controller. I will PM you. I used it for a little bit on my 24 gallon, but I found that it had a hard time keeping the tank cool enough in our office with computers running all day. I think it is probably best on a 12 gallon or smaller cube. What size nano did he end up getting for his GF ? I might be in the Auburn area in a couple of weeks, let me know or I could ship it as well.

At the moment I am thinking once I get everything transferred over, I will finally let go of the 24 Aquapod setup, Sunpod 70w hqi, Nano Remora Skimmer and possibly the Current 1/15hp chiller.

Back