Neptune Aquatics

TGunn's First 37g in the Bay Area

Ah, okay, I see whats going on there. I unfortunately won't be able to submerge the drain line below the water surface like that, as the water just free-falls from the overflow grating into the chamber. And its the sound of the water falling that is irritating -- if the rock needs to be submerged this won't work as well for me...

Hmm, I guess I could just fit some filter foam in the space underneath the overflow grating, essentially allowing the water to flow through that.... I suspect it'll become a nitrate factory, however.

I make a filter basket similar to this one: http://shop.mediabaskets.com/images/AP24 Laser 1.jpg
I load it with foam, carbon, chemi-pure elite, then I raise it up so it close to the drain teeth, by doing this water drain out and hit the basket right away and reduce the noise, also the basket act just like the filter sock. It's also very easy to clean by just take the whole basket off.
Reduce the return pump size or slow down the return pump will help, but need to install a circulation pump.
By the way, if you dont have any live stock yet, then I recommend you to carefully test all the seams in side one more time, other wise you will see the same water level in the front display and the rear sump chamber.

I make a filter basket similar to this one: http://shop.mediabaskets.com/images/AP24 Laser 1.jpg
I load it with foam, carbon, chemi-pure elite, then I raise it up so it close to the drain teeth, by doing this water drain out and hit the basket right away and reduce the noise, also the basket act just like the filter sock. It's also very easy to clean by just take the whole basket off.
Reduce the return pump size or slow down the return pump will help, but need to install a circulation pump.
By the way, if you dont have any live stock yet, then I recommend you to carefully test all the seams in side one more time, other wise you will see the same water level in the front display and the rear sump chamber.

Okay, that seems pretty easy to build -- or at least a functional but not-nice-looking facsimile. :) I'll see what I can whip up and make sure to post pics. :)

Yeah its just a Maxijet 900 right now as the return pump, so nothing too fancy. I tried blocking the output 3/4 and it is still pretty noisey from the splashes. Oh well.

The seams all checked out fine. I filled the front half of the tank first. Because I didn't want to overflow things I shut off the RO/DI once the front area filled and resumed the next day. There was zero leakage into the back compartments from the front side. Also zero sign of leakage on any seams.

Are you sure you have enough water in the tank? I have a couple of AIO tanks and they are dead silent. The drop from the weir/OF is only 1/2 inch.

Are you sure you have enough water in the tank? I have a couple of AIO tanks and they are dead silent. The drop from the weir/OF is only 1/2 inch.

I guess I could always just raise the water level. :) simple and good idea.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Just a guess. My tanks fill the OF chamber first so there is always lots of water there and almost no fall to generate noise. Yours must be different so time to get creative! :)

Just a guess. My tanks fill the OF chamber first so there is always lots of water there and almost no fall to generate noise. Yours must be different so time to get creative! :)

Well I raised the water level to with an inch of where the overflow dumps in the back. Perfect silence. Only the skimmer makes noise now.
Haha sometimes the simplest solution is best.

My blue water-jug came via Amazon prime today, so I now have the Tunze Osmolator set up as well.
At this point I'm ready to get some sand and liverock.

Since I'll be in the area of Neptune tomorrow for the BAR New Hobbyist workshop I'll pick up some sand..

IMG_20140411_201937.jpg

No matter how hard I try, cables are always messy.

I have an Oceanic cube just like this that I turned into an AIO. My overflow was originally very loud, but I built a rack out of black eggcrate that holds a bunch of filter floss at the top, just under the overflow. The overflow water hits the filter floss now and makes it much quieter.

I have an Oceanic cube just like this that I turned into an AIO. My overflow was originally very loud, but I built a rack out of black eggcrate that holds a bunch of filter floss at the top, just under the overflow. The overflow water hits the filter floss now and makes it much quieter.

From the looks of it that might've been what Mario originally had set up with this one. There is a little ledge I could put eggcrate on. Oh well for now filling it up really full solves the problem. :)

Yay! I picked up 40lb of oolitic sand today at Reef Raft.

IMG_8921.jpg

I was worried that my LEDs wouldn't be bright enough, but I suspect they definitely are.

Unfortunately both Reef Raft and Neptune don't really have a good selection of live rock. Both just sell dry base rock that's been hydrated. I'm going to give mailorder a shot I think. I want rock thats teeming with life.

Glad to see you got your sand! Did you get the CaribSea Oolite? That's what I used in my tank.

If you want amazing live rock, check out KP Aquatics (sealifeinc.net). They're where my new live rock came from and it is so colorful and covered in life. I even got some hitchhiker corals and things. I got 30 lbs from them and including the shipping, it came out to $5.60 a lb which is super cheap for premium live rock. Also, they're an awesome company and I've ordered from them numerous times and highly recommend them :)

Glad to see you got your sand! Did you get the CaribSea Oolite? That's what I used in my tank.

If you want amazing live rock, check out KP Aquatics (sealifeinc.net). They're where my new live rock came from and it is so colorful and covered in life. I even got some hitchhiker corals and things. I got 30 lbs from them and including the shipping, it came out to $5.60 a lb which is super cheap for premium live rock. Also, they're an awesome company and I've ordered from them numerous times and highly recommend them :)

Yup its Caribsea oolitic.. I found it so weird that the sand comes wet.. I really like what I can see of it so far. I'm surprised it isn't drifting around almost at all. I used Caribsea special reef grade sand when I was setting up my Solana just before moving. It was a larger grain size and it drifted around like mad..

I think I will order from KP.. Their rock looks really nice. I like that they leave all the life on it. At just under $6 a pound it's a much better deal than the cured (but lifeless) rock I've seen so far.

Yeah a lot of the live sand comes wet like that. The stuff that comes wet is nice because it doesn't need to be rinsed like the dry stuff does. I had some drifting issues with my sand at first because its so fine, but I got the flow all adjusted and now its totally fine. I love the look of it. Its definitely got that white sandy beach look.

I bought the KPA cured rock, and even cured it is covered in color! I went with dry rock seeded with a bit of live rock when I first set up my tank and the rock just never looked nice. This time around, I decided to start with really nice live rock and it makes such a difference!

Yeah a lot of the live sand comes wet like that. The stuff that comes wet is nice because it doesn't need to be rinsed like the dry stuff does. I had some drifting issues with my sand at first because its so fine, but I got the flow all adjusted and now its totally fine. I love the look of it. Its definitely got that white sandy beach look.

I bought the KPA cured rock, and even cured it is covered in color! I went with dry rock seeded with a bit of live rock when I first set up my tank and the rock just never looked nice. This time around, I decided to start with really nice live rock and it makes such a difference!

I still made a massive sand storm that hasn't fully cleared for me but that's par for the course. I think K the sand is a bit deeper than I would have liked but oh well.

I agree with you on the live rock. My 140g tank was started with some really pricey direct from the ocean rock and my tank was teeming with life. The sand bed was was loaded with spaghetti worms and bristle worms, cerinth snails reproduced by the thousands, etc.

When I downsized to a Solana during graduate studies, I started with dried out recured rock from my 140g and it never was the same.

This time around I'm going for more life-filled live rock. :)

At last! I'm able to see a bit more in the tank...
IMG_20140413_141445.jpg

After seeing a Vortech on the week at the New Hobbyist workshop I'm starting to dislike the look of my honkin' huge Koralia 4. Even the Koralia 1s look pretty big.

Just to help sell you on the MP10, here's my Oceanic Cube with a Koralia 750 when I first started it:
IMG_3748.jpg

Here it is a couple days later with the MP10. Keep in mind my MP10 has a foam guard on it because my seahorses could get their tails stuck in the propeller. Most people don't use the foam guard and it looks even better without it.
IMG_3825.jpg

Just to help sell you on the MP10, here's my Oceanic Cube with a Koralia 750 when I first started it:

Here it is a couple days later with the MP10. Keep in mind my MP10 has a foam guard on it because my seahorses could get their tails stuck in the propeller. Most people don't use the foam guard and it looks even better without it.

Sure makes a difference... So much less obtrusive. I suspect a single MP10 would be enough flow on its own and not require me to use the three separate Powerheads like I am now.

Also like how you can randomize the flow a bit with the reef crest mode and all that.

Felicia also posted on my tank journal pictures of the Jebao WP10 and the MP10. Might want to check it out for size too. I love my Jebao. The price difference is a huge selling point as well.
http://www.bareefers.org/forum/index.php?threads/mouses-im-nuvo-fusion-40g.16376/

Hmm definitely a small looking powered. Looks similar to my koralia 1s but smaller.

Is the flow fairly dispersed from the wp10? I find my big koralia is too focused so it's a bit hard to aim it so it doesn't kick up a storm.

Back