Kessil

The price of water these days...

Either you get water or you don't the price increases.
Went to Burger King across the street and got two Icee's for my kids and asked for one of those mocha drinks for me but said to the cashier barely or no ice, he said if you don't want ice it will be extra fifty cents WT...

Few weeks back we got some drinks same place, asked for a cup with some ice and same thing, extra fifty cents...

The guy pockets the 50 cents :p

I went to a churrascaria with some co-workers we asked for water and it turned out they dont serve tap water and it was 9 bucks a bottle, we only found out the price when we got the bill. :(

We went to a restaurant and they asked if we wanted water or sparkling water. Didn't stop to think they may charge for the sparkling water. Duh!! $6

I worked in restaurants 20 years ago and at the Boardwalk longer ago then that and every business charged money for water that was being given to go customers. The cup itself costs money, the machine uses costly electricity. the server costs money, the building costs money, etc. In high traffic areas a business can loose money on giving away meager little cups and ice.

Dunno about you, but my strong business sense and having lived and worked in a tourist town, I see no fault in charging for cup of ice.

That being said, there should be public drinking fountains in every town!!

If you go to some of the HK restaurant and ask for ice, they will charge you $.50 for it. Hot tea is usually free but Ice Tea cost $.50 ..

$6 for a bottle water is a rip off man..

Erick said:
The guy pockets the 50 cents :p

I went to a churrascaria with some co-workers we asked for water and it turned out they dont serve tap water and it was 9 bucks a bottle, we only found out the price when we got the bill. :(

That's the way to get people's money, sometimes they'll (servers) ask you "bubbles or no bubbles" you say bubbles then you'll see the bubbles price on the bill.

GreshamH said:
I worked in restaurants 20 years ago and at the Boardwalk longer ago then that and every business charged money for water that was being given to go customers. The cup itself costs money, the machine uses costly electricity. the server costs money, the building costs money, etc. In high traffic areas a business can loose money on giving away meager little cups and ice.

Dunno about you, but my strong business sense and having lived and worked in a tourist town, I see no fault in charging for cup of ice.

Agreed on that but when you are a regular customer/neighbor right across the street and they already know when your kids walk right in what they are ordering, getting a little more or less ice should not be an issue mostly since you are already consuming.
If I just walk in and ask for ice/water then that would be a different issue, at least a little bit.

GreshamH said:
IIRC, it is required by law to have some sort of water available, not necessarily at the store but in the area in the form of a drinking fountain or what not. However how that applies to outdoor "malls" vs indoor I'm not sure on.

That being said my personal pet peeve is getting an iced tea in for dinner at a restaurant, then getting a can of Arizona Iced tea brought to me, charging me $2.99 for it, yet they conveniently put a little sticker over the 99 cents bit that's stamped on the can.

I asked for water at a restrant about 2 months ago, when I got the bill and saw it was 8.00 I asked to speek to the manager. I asked him to show me on any menu he had that water was 8.00 and he couldn't since it was not listed. I caused a fuss cuz they charge 8.00 for something they were refilling from a picther and I knew it was regular tap water. He insisted that it was "special filetered water" and it cost HIM a lot to bring in to his resturant, so the next time we went there I brought my TDS meter, when the water tested at 140, I not only stopped drinking it but asked for my money back from the time before......

Ouch. What's the world turning into?

That's how it's in Europe. They always try to get you for the "Flat or 'Gas'eous Water." I hate that, but some times Susan and I have to bite the bullet, as usually we've been hiking all over the place and come back at the end of the day feeling really dehydrated.

But, WTh... :X is an appropriate response. This is America. Water / Ice for a price. I don't think so. (I guess I've been spoiled; but can see Greshams's POV.

We just got back from Budapest, Hungry, and I paid $6 US, 3 times, for a 750 Ml bottle of plain water, so when we found a place to get it for $1.60 US, I bought 12 and carried some in the car and left some in our cabin.

Don't want to be a thread buster but,

On a different subject: My R2 Dual Extremes and R2 Controller arrived today. I set them up (very easy) and I think I going to be impressed with them. I already am seeing my Favia night feeding better than it I've seen it since I got it; and on the first night too . Mario, your Hynophora looks really good under them too. I'll post my comments on my Journal page later on. http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/8161. (Page is still under construction, but getting there) Nuff said.

Right on Roc! TDS meter to rescue. Classic. I was going to chime in by saying Light House Water, a local R/O distributor charges his, less than best, customers (that excludes me) around ? $.40 per gallon. I wonder if anyone yet has done a cost analysis because, from the surface, there seems to be a big spread.

Yeah that's just nickle and diming bullshit. $8 for "specially filtered" water. I don't care how much it costs them, yeah it's not free I get it, but there needs to be some level of common courtesy in the industry. I'm not talking about giving away free beverages to anyone to asks, but for paying customers come on now. It costs money to wash dishes too, should we pay extra for clean plates too? Do we get a discount if we don't use a knife or a spoon with dinner since that what they don't need to clean? Hell lots of places put bread on the table too, and they don't ask a dime for it. Personally I wouldn't ever eat at a place that charges for water, whether it goes through an RO unit or not.

Roc said:
I asked for water at a restrant about 2 months ago, when I got the bill and saw it was 8.00 I asked to speek to the manager. I asked him to show me on any menu he had that water was 8.00 and he couldn't since it was not listed. I caused a fuss cuz they charge 8.00 for something they were refilling from a picther and I knew it was regular tap water. He insisted that it was "special filetered water" and it cost HIM a lot to bring in to his resturant, so the next time we went there I brought my TDS meter, when the water tested at 140, I not only stopped drinking it but asked for my money back from the time before......

lol

...maybe it was the waste water from the RO system that he calls "special filtered water"
Where my brother works, the owner gets p****d off is someone orders "San Francisco's Finest" he wants to sell beverages but mostly expensive wine. If a table orders no wine because they do not drink any alcohol, he explodes too!!

Back