Jestersix

The wet side of my MP-40 died, considering replacing with a Gyre pump ... recommendations?

Are gyre pump still the thing the cool kids do now? My MP-40 wet side failed. They are like $90 to replace. Although cheaper than a new gyre pump, I am entertaining the idea of getting one as an upgrade. I may still fix the MP-40 and relocate it to another place on the tank.

Any thoughts on a reliable unit? Do these pumps do what they say and give amazing flow?

Thanks!

V

I've been using the Icecap 2k's on my 69 & 75g tanks and have been pretty happy with them. The one bugaboo I was a bit upset with after buying them is I found that the $250 add on controller unlocked a bunch more flow modes than the stock controller. It wasn't clear until I purchased a set that all but 4 modes were locked unless I spent the extra $. Recently all those modes were unlocked and made available in the Hydros app which solves my unhappiness :) Other than normal maintenance in the last 14 months they've been solid.

Are gyre pump still the thing the cool kids do now? My MP-40 wet side failed. They are like $90 to replace. Although cheaper than a new gyre pump, I am entertaining the idea of getting one as an upgrade. I may still fix the MP-40 and relocate it to another place on the tank.

Any thoughts on a reliable unit? Do these pumps do what they say and give amazing flow?

Thanks!

V
How did it die? I just took one all the way apart and they can be fickle if debris get caught in there.

I agree though, mp40's are not my favorite wavemaker. I have both the Maxspect gyres and the Red Sea ones. The Red Sea seems to be mechanically a little more sturdy, but you need a controller for each wavemaker while the Maxspect can control 2 wavemakers with one controller. Maxspect also sells individual parts, so if something does break/wear, it can be replaced pretty easily and at low cost. I assume Red Sea does as well, I just haven't needed them yet.

From my own personal experience I wouldn't. I switched over to gyres a few years ago, and now am totally back with Ecotech's. I loved the flow with Gyres, but I have yet to have one last more than a year. I have a whole box of old ones in the garage. Perhaps if you pulled them and completely disassembled and cleaned them every month they might last, but that's not realistic use for most people. Ecotech's do a great job, are easy to clean, and I have some that have lasted for 7+ years with just occasional cleaning.

How exactly did the wet side fail? I've found them to be bulletproof unless the magnet burst or dry side bearings need replacing. I prefer less wires in my tank so I use MP40s.

I have Maxspect gyres. They are a PITA to take apart and clean the blades. However, I do like the wider flow of the gyres.

Is it $90 for a wetside? Good lord. That said, I have Icecap gyres, they're ok... but it's really an apples to oranges on how it works with flow.

Out of curiosity what happened to the wetside?

I love the flow from a gyre style pump.

That said, I gave up on them because similar to @Bruce Spiegelman , I never had one last long term.

That said I went cheap and bought a jebao cross flow and a jbj icecap gyre.

I went through at least two of each, they all ended up having the ceramic shaft break at some point during normal operation.

I'd splurge on a maxspec gyre if I thought it would last but I'm pretty sure it's the exact same pump. It was a big thing when they came out that they immediately got knocked off by other china manufactuers.

Love the pump. Hate the reliability.

I use two jabeo wave makers now. Hard to beat at the price point of you don't care about wires

Well it started making a terrible sound so I noticed that the inside and outside were no longer aligned, then the dry side just fell down. So I reattached it and soon it fell off again after some rattling. So I removed the wet side to look at it and decided to clean the glass side and it was cracked.
V

I have both as well and I also much prefer the Vortechs. As others have stated the Gyres don't last. They're also more finicky when they get even just a bit dirty. I also find them to be noisier.

Well it started making a terrible sound so I noticed that the inside and outside were no longer aligned, then the dry side just fell down. So I reattached it and soon it fell off again after some rattling. So I removed the wet side to look at it and decided to clean the glass side and it was cracked.
V
Did you ever clean with vinegar?

Did you ever clean with vinegar?
Never. In fact I never once cleaned the wet side. I just assumed ... well, it's wet and it's spinning. Surely it is self cleaning! Yes, naive and I'm now paying the price for it.

Well, it sounds like the gyre pumps have low reliability, which is something I can't stand in equipment after so many deadly pump failures, so I think I'll just pony up and buy a new wetside for my ecotech.

Thanks for the input eveyone!

V

Never. In fact I never once cleaned the wet side. I just assumed ... well, it's wet and it's spinning. Surely it is self cleaning! Yes, naive and I'm now paying the price for it.

Well, it sounds like the gyre pumps have low reliability, which is something I can't stand in equipment after so many deadly pump failures, so I think I'll just pony up and buy a new wetside for my ecotech.

Thanks for the input eveyone!

V
I actually don’t clean them much at all. DONT use vinegar tho. It can lead to magnet issues/cracking.

if you are looking to try the gyre type wavemakers, I would check out jebao as a low cost entry. gives out great flow and if you dont like it, smaller loss

if you are looking to try the gyre type wavemakers, I would check out jebao as a low cost entry. gives out great flow and if you dont like it, smaller loss
Or more when it inevitably breaks, small loss :)

That was my perspective on it at least.

Back