got ethical husbandry?

Vacation dosing

tribbitt

Supporting Member
I will be going on 10 day vacation over the summer. I currently hand-dose DIY 2-part, with a pipette, each day. How do I keep that going over the vacation? Do I need to get dosing pumps? They’re really expensive for what I can do by hand.

I will be going on 10 day vacation over the summer. I currently hand-dose DIY 2-part, with a pipette, each day. How do I keep that going over the vacation? Do I need to get dosing pumps? They’re really expensive for what I can do by hand.
You could potentially set up a drip system, but that's cumbersome and not super precise (plus has the possibility of clogging if the alk cakes around the outlet).

I'd suggest a dosing pump to be safe. There's the 2-head Jebao doser for $60, or - for $10 more - a wireless 4-head Jebao doser. I'm sure if you ask around here someone has an old used one for sale, too.

low cost option if you have an ato is add kalk to it. not perfect but could work for 10 days if your demand isn't high. you just need to know you alk/ca consumption and average daily evap to calculate how much kalk to add to ato reservoir.

I dose alkalinity and Ca daily. Params are a bit wonky as I’m still getting it dialed in, but the relevant params:
Ca 500 (I dosed according to bad math for a week)
Alk 9.3
Mg 1500

Magnesium doesn’t get depleted fast so I’m okay with letting it fall (it’ll drop maybe 10-20ppm).

Calcium is high right now, and alkalinity was always on the lower end of okay (was trying to bring it to 10 but not super concerned).

1715709576442.png

This is my dosing. The leftmost “30mL Ca” and “20mL alk” are dry calcium chloride and dry baking soda respectively.

I’m probably doing something wrong, but I can’t just stop entirely for 10 days

Last edited:
low cost option if you have an ato is add kalk to it. not perfect but could work for 10 days if your demand isn't high. you just need to know you alk/ca consumption and average daily evap to calculate how much kalk to add to ato reservoir.
I dose a little kalk each day, but it doesn't do anything beyond raise pH. I do half a cup a day.

If you test your Calcium (which is at 500) today then what will it be in 24 hours?
I honestly have no idea. All I can say right now is that even with calcium dosing, Ca is going down. The 500 was from 4 days ago - just retested and it's 480. The dose is lower than normal, but this shows that uptake is higher than the rate I'm adding it - again, 2.25g dry calcium chloride a day. I do not see precipitate on the heaters (it could precipitate elsewhere though)

So you have some time on this. Don't dose the next three days. Check CA, MG, and ALK every 24 hours record results. Then come back and lets discuss when we have data.
Do you also do water changes?

So you have some time on this. Don't dose the next three days. Check CA, MG, and ALK every 24 hours record results. Then come back and lets discuss when we have data.
Do you also do water changes?
I have a bad water change schedule. I do them infrequently, but large

I already dosed today. Do I need to test at the same time each day?

Let's see what happens. You are flirting with disaster though and it's pretty common. You are using chemicals that you aren't certain you need and in what quantity to make up for not doing regular watr changes which would result in a healthier tank and probably no need for any additives.

Let's see what happens. You are flirting with disaster though and it's pretty common. You are using chemicals that you aren't certain you need and in what quantity to make up for not doing regular watr changes which would result in a healthier tank and probably no need for any additives.
I used to stick with water changes, but parameters would change. I don’t remember how much, but that is why I started dosing.

I water change every 2-3 weeks, ~40%. I do smaller water changes of like 5% once a week or so, when rinsing out filter stuff.

I honestly have no idea. All I can say right now is that even with calcium dosing, Ca is going down. The 500 was from 4 days ago - just retested and it's 480. The dose is lower than normal, but this shows that uptake is higher than the rate I'm adding it - again, 2.25g dry calcium chloride a day. I do not see precipitate on the heaters (it could precipitate elsewhere though)

You're fighting yourself. Those numbers are all elavated skewing the ratio. When you do that, you get precipitation of mg/alk/ca. Shoot for alk of 6-8 / ca 420 / mg 1300.

The reason I try to stick with my params is because IO reef crystals mixes to that number. Calcium 490, alk of 11 (despite claims of 13) and mag of 1440 (and i have lots of lps)

Although J should test my newly mixed saltwater… online there’s some claims of problems with consistency

Back