got ethical husbandry?

Vacation Recomendations

I am looking for recommendations on places to go that have reefs. I am looking for snorkeling, and would prefer the Caribbean. I thought about Hawaii, but would like something a little different (if you know of special spots, maybe). Pacific side of Mexico? Guam? Any information from people that have done the trip, pitfalls or deals, would be helpful. I am thinking March.

Also, Australia & Asia are no go's as of right now.

Well what kind of reefs? Coral reefs? If so scratch out Pac side of Mexico and Hawaii, not much coral there. Guam is great from what my friends there say. Not many coral reefs left in the Caribbean, Puerto Rico still has a few :)

Belize has the second largest barrier reef after the great barrier reef in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belize_Barrier_Reef

Not specifically coral or not, some of the pictures I have seen of the Gulf of California trips look unbelievable. My sister-in-law's parents have a place in Puerto Rico, I think a little family discussion should be in order. :)

r0ck0 said:
Belize has the second largest barrier reef after the great barrier reef in Australia.

Correct and in recent years its taken a real big hit, not to mention it slipped my mind.

h20player101 said:
Not specifically coral or not, some of the pictures I have seen of the Gulf of California trips look unbelievable. My sister-in-law's parents have a place in Puerto Rico, I think a little family discussion should be in order. :)

Oh OK, then the SoC (Sea of Cortez) does offer some fabulous diving/vacationing. At times the plankton is too thick to see much, but of course I forget what time of year that is (spring?)

GreshamH said:
r0ck0 said:

Correct and in recent years its taken a real big hit, not to mention it slipped my mind.

Yes a real big hit literally:

Belize said Jeff Greene's yacht damaged a coral reef, racking up $1.87 million in unpaid fines.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/23/1743175/greene-denies-his-anchor-damaged.html

Besides all the HURRICANES, yeah, that boat did some damage as well.

On the Pacific side of Mexico, the coast of the State of Oaxaca, Bahia de Huatulco, Puerto Escondido.
Gulf side/Caribbean Peninsula de Yucatan (States of Quintana Roo and Yucatan) has several places; Chetumal, Cancun (surroundings) Isla Mujeres, Xel-Ha and the one I want to visit Xcaret. Belize should be a paradise too

Pitfall is I've never been there, just dreamed of and one day will...

Belize.

Only like 4+ hours away. Then take a flight from the airport out to ambergris. If you're lucky (like me) they let you sit in the copilot seat and you get to island hop landing on sand and having the time of your life. Then go snorkel Hol Chan and see like 50million royal grammas on the vert wall. Tarpon often in the bottom of that cut.
Then drift dive as many times as you can. 60-95 footers. Beautiful. There are sinkholes if you're into that type of thing but a little way off.

Great food at night, beer everywhere, and you can stroll home on the sand as the sun comes up.

BEEN THERE.

I went to Belize to see the reefs about 15 years ago. Friggin AWESOME! Obviously, times change, and it sounds like they've gone on the decline.

Like John said, fiji would be down right awesome.

my brothers went to corn island off the coast of Nicaragua and they said it was beautiful. I went to Ambergris caye of the coast of belize 5n years ago to go scuba diving and wow that place was awesome. the wall dives are sick. you will see hella black cap grammas living in large groups. I dove at the blue hole out there too, if you are interested in diving with big reef sharks. Ambergris caye was my favorite dive trip so far. the people there are really friendly and the local food is delicious. if you go and like spicy food hit up the jerk pit. Nassau bahamas was pretty nice too. I just went there in june. cool place.

Back