Our mission

Vacation Recomendations

Phuket, Phi Phi island in Thailand. Same place they filmed the movie Beach and James Bond movie. Its one of the best dive/snorkling place i been so far. If you love clams, clowns, and SPS.. this is the place. The flight might be expensive, but the hotel, food and escursions are dirt cheap.

No to Australia because I want to spend more then a week there! I figure that is the mid-life crisis destination of choice (for me), and I could take a month off of work in about 15 years. :-O

Any recommendations on hotels in Belize? Everything I have seen online looks gorgeous, and more importantly, the girlfriend likes it also. :)

Part 2: Recommendations for scuba certification? There is a place in Burlingame (you can see it from 101), which is were I work.

@ JRocha - Where did you stay? Any packages? Did you use a agent?

I think if you're staying on Ambergris there's Ramon's. We were down there for a week for a friends wedding and the bride and groom stayed there it was nice and fancy. Little bungalows all over the property.
The rest of us stayed at Ruby's. Now times have changed I'm sure but it was a *#&@hole back then. Cheap as hell though. Just get a room that faces the ocean.
I bet there is lots more there now than before BTW so I bet you have tons of choices. I'd get something near the airport if you fly the light plane in or near one of the hotels or dive shops the inter-island boats stop at so you don't have to walk too far.

I looked at an ambergris website for the dive shops and I seem to remember the Amigos del mar name. I think we dove with them but can't remember just right now??

You can get certified there with any of the dive shops.

Do you fish too?

Not a fisherman (besides the lagoon in Foster City!), but if you have any ideas I think it might be fun for the trip. Would need to be a all inclusive, maybe even some training.

Jeremy, about how much do diving certs cost? I want my girlfriend to come with me, but she has decided that she can appreciate the white beaches and clear water from a lovely shaded spot on said beach! Any suggestions on getting a reluctant diver in the water? Is it good for your skin? Helping the environment? If you don't do it, someone will die? :)

You could do resort certification there so she doesn't feel like she's spent her entire vacation underwater. Basically you do some classwork, dockwork, shallow dives, then can dive with the company. Not a full cert but might be perfect for her. It's what my lady did FWIW.
For other ideas on terrestrial things to do hit me up. There's lots to do.

As some one who has trained well over a hundred divers take it from me... if she is reluctant, dont force her to do it. Those are the type of divers that make it dangerous.

My girlfriend got certified at wallins in san carlos, very professional was certified in fiji. as for the place or package I will ask my brother who set it up. I believe our package included hotel and dives. the hotel was on the beach but wasn't the best. just remember that when you are on vacation at a place like this you will probably be walking around and having fun doing stuff besides being in your room. So with that being said I wouldn't blow the big money on the best place there unless you have money to blow like that. My girl was weird about diving too, but when she did her first dive in nassau she fell in love and keeps asking me where our next trip is going to be. I will get you the info tonight if I can.

h20player101 said:
Not a fisherman (besides the lagoon in Foster City!), but if you have any ideas I think it might be fun for the trip. Would need to be a all inclusive, maybe even some training.

Jeremy, about how much do diving certs cost? I want my girlfriend to come with me, but she has decided that she can appreciate the white beaches and clear water from a lovely shaded spot on said beach! Any suggestions on getting a reluctant diver in the water? Is it good for your skin? Helping the environment? If you don't do it, someone will die? :)

I'm not up on the price of certs, you'd have to ask. My close friends family takes folks out for their certification though Wallin's (my buddies dad does the certifying) and is a great guy that I fully trust, and I don't trust too many people when it comes to the ocean.

AFA getting a reluctant diver into the water, I second Gresham's post, if she is at all reluctant a panic attack is the last thing you want to happen in the water. Snorkeling is a great way to get someone more comfortable in the ocean, once they see what's under water it's really not so scary. Also, when you snorkel you are more likely to be closer a place of refuge or the land.

Snorkel Hol Chan first that should hook her.
Near Hol Chan there's a sandbar where there are tons of rays, nurse sharks, and tangs. Again snorkeling.
Dives inside the lagoons are ~20feet and pretty neat. Big old elkhorns all over (or were at least). LIttle more turbid.
She can chill out on the beach when you run out for the 80 footers. Tell her you'll be back in 1.5hrs!!!

When we were there at Ruby's it was dirt cheap - as long as you didn't mind plywood floors, plywood shower stalls and the occasional cockroach running around. We weren't in the room enough to even notice ;)

It is more she is so dismissive of even trying. I suggested snorkeling first, but I don't think she wants to do any of it. I know I am going to be hiking up some damn mountain. I would never force her into it, I just wish there was more interest (or attempts). She has been very patient with me concerning the hobby, and has come around on a lot of things. I have never gone scuba diving, and have heard how many people have enjoyed it and thought it could be something we could both enjoy together. Maybe she will change her mind, it is not a phobia and she likes going into the ocean! At least she didn't mind my reason for picking Belize.

Take her to the mayan ruins.
Don't tell her about botflies.
Order a few "panty rippahs" when you're out at night.
I'm sure they have spas.
Hmm what else???

Oh yeah keep the faith!

Leaving next Friday for Belize! We have left most of the trip open to make arrangements (or sleep) while we are there.

Any recommendations for those of you that travel abroad frequently? I am thinking along the lines of, "...make sure you get all your shots." I am a rookie when it comes to international travel, and any tips would be appreciated.

Also, regional food?!

Thoughts on bringing a camera? I am worried about bringing a better camera, but would love to get the shots. I just know I am not going to bring it with me everywhere.

Take your passport! Belize is easy to travel in.
Just go. Eat lots of jerk chicken, and drink those panty-rippahs I mentioned.
You can sleep between sunup and the dive boat leaving the dock. Don't fall victim to going to bed too early. Keep walking the beach until you find the action.
Belikin beer!!!!!!!!!

r0ck0 said:
Belize has the second largest barrier reef after the great barrier reef in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belize_Barrier_Reef
I'm headed for Turneffe Island this summer, about an hour off the coast of Belize for tank diving.

You-betcha! We dove a "Blue Hole" in Palau as well. Diving R Us. Last summer we dove Taveuni Island and Kadavu Island in the Fiji chain. Our second trip to Fiji and always a blast. We swam with mantas off Kadavu. Cool Dudes! :)

Back