Cali Kid Corals

Vincent's Office tank

Cool. Can you give/show more details about your light mounting choice?
I'm using the AI HMS light rail. I chose it because it has the rectangular shape like the tank (as compared to the Radion or other mounts) and I feel it fits better. Plus it will work on eurobraced tanks.
The downside to that is the actual light mounts don't work of course. I had to use an aftermarket prototype mount from Adaptive Reef and adapted it for use in the AI light rail.

The light mounts from AI are almost the right size, the spacing between the holes are a little too long. Been looking for a machine shop that would elongate the holes a little but been hitting a wall. The shape of the mount, being tapered and also has a contour, is the main obstacle. I haven't even been able to get a quote, they don't even want to try.

I'll be cutting the legs to lower the rail so the lights are about 8-9" off the water. And also cutting the little extra rail on the right side to make it flush. Tank is a little under 48", its metric.

IMG_6320.jpg
IMG_6322.JPG

I'm using the AI HMS light rail. I chose it because it has the rectangular shape like the tank (as compared to the Radion or other mounts) and I feel it fits better. Plus it will work on eurobraced tanks.
The downside to that is the actual light mounts don't work of course. I had to use an aftermarket prototype mount from Adaptive Reef and adapted it for use in the AI light rail.

The light mounts from AI are almost the right size, the spacing between the holes are a little too long. Been looking for a machine shop that would elongate the holes a little but been hitting a wall. The shape of the mount, being tapered and also has a contour, is the main obstacle. I haven't even been able to get a quote, they don't even want to try.

I'll be cutting the legs to lower the rail so the lights are about 8-9" off the water. And also cutting the little extra rail on the right side to make it flush. Tank is a little under 48", its metric.

View attachment 32413View attachment 32414
I can help elongate holes, we have mills at work. If you want a really precise hole, we likely would print a fixture or use soft jaws to grab the part. I bet we could get away with a center punch and a hand drill though, then clean out/debur the hole with a file.

I can help elongate holes, we have mills at work. If you want a really precise hole, we likely would print a fixture or use soft jaws to grab the part. I bet we could get away with a center punch and a hand drill though, then clean out/debur the hole with a file.
I'm going to try a dremel. I have endmills already.. but I found out that I would need to make a fixture to hold it in place. Its aluminum so shouldn't be that hard to cut.

I'm going to try a dremel. I have endmills already.. but I found out that I would need to make a fixture to hold it in place. Its aluminum so shouldn't be that hard to cut.
I bet we could get away with using sheets of silicone in a vise to make soft jaws for the aluminum part and skip making the fixture.

Back