Our mission

Vitamin C

Not Thiel - talking about voodoo magic

He was the one who started the voodoo magic before Marc Weiss got a grip on "cr**" market

Mr. Use my product, or you're going to fail. We banished his books from World Wide Aquarium 15 years ago, Mr. Snake oil himself.

AFA C for Zoas, I have no idea myself, what have you read about it Steve? Dip? In tank?

I know Zepplock has mention ed it. Found a thread on RC where 1000-2000mg of vitamin C twice daily helped with declining zoa colonies, opening polyps that had been closed and doing poorly. Not feeling so hot myself, maybe I should dose myself with it :)

There are a few people on RC using it with success. I would like to see a few more success stories before falling in love with it. I bought some and started it for two days. I was dropping half of a 1000mg pill into my sump twice a day. I saw no change but it was only for two days. I just started rotifers so I thought I better only start one new thing at a time.

I'll wait for something more definitive.

Pufferpunk on RC was the one that tried it first. I was randomly peeking in on her thread, but it's not like she has any science/bio background such that I was going to jump on it.

2+ grams a day is a lot of stuff to be just dumping in your tank just because someone had a random thought.

Best thing for improving zoa growth is probably to turn off your skimmer :D

In one of my tanks my 20 gallon long I dose very little vitamin C , not even all time. I have some nice size zoanthid colonies and it does ot make much difference. My zoas are healthy and thriving even when i do not ad the C. I just put it in sometimes because I like to think it does something magical but it really doesn't for me either way. If your fish are sick I would dose C in their food.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3010.msg32489#msg32489 date=1202827592]
I'll wait for something more definitive.

Pufferpunk on RC was the one that tried it first. I was randomly peeking in on her thread, but it's not like she has any science/bio background such that I was going to jump on it.

[/quote]

ON RC he/she may have been but the kid in Colorado was the first I know to really play with it in the last 3 years (he wrote a paper on it).

i use the kent marine c which i had or a while now and my fish look great and so do my zoas. My wholesaler does use Vitamin C in their tanks filled corals and have it on a drip system. Which kid? I would want to read his paper! Sounds very interesting

His name is Tristen and IIRC he did it for his HS science experiment. I spoke with him at great length about it and he's got quite a head on his shoulders.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=3010.msg83758#msg83758 date=1235438027]
ON RC he/she may have been but the kid in Colorado was the first I know to really play with it in the last 3 years (he wrote a paper on it).
[/quote]
So do you have the link to his article/paper?

I did a pretty significant literature review and proposed some possible theories why dosing ascorbic acid.

I actually blindly, desperately dosed last year when I had a zoa melt down and I became convinced after it completely turned around my tank.

If you search Puffy's thread you will find some of my literature backed theories. I also got in a pissing contest with Eric Borneman on Marine Depot forum, I pointed him to Tristen's work and he got so angry he actually locked the thread under claim that I shouldn't be linking websites to kids, even though the site was the one he created for the science fair.

Here are my theories:

1) ascorbic acid reduces oxidative stress during photosynthesis, buy neutralizing the harmful oxiradicals it increases potential photosynthetic efficiency.

2) ascorbic acid plays a critical role in collagen, since zoa's rely significantly on collagen (that jelly like middle goodness) as structural support, if there is a deficiency or something inhibiting this pathway (possible clause of mysterious zoa melting syndrome?), the dosing gets things back on track.

I have about 5-6 journal articles I dug up, I have them somewhere, they are all posted on Puffy's thread.

Cheers,

Josh

here are a couple articles I found quick

http://www.pnas.org/content/105/1/54.full

http://www.springerlink.com/content/8lp5y5e1kahpuqpe/

here is a quote from Eric B: "I would suggest the Internet rumor mill on Vitamin C began with a teenage reefkeeper who won a Colorado Springs science fair project. In the interest of protecting his name, I will not post a link. I think this sufficiently rests my case."

I guess it can't possibly have any substance behind it if a high schooler came up with it and not the great Eric Borneman!

haha, oh dear, don't get me started....

Back