High Tide Aquatics

Webmasters....

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
How come the site doesn't automatically send out an "anniversary" e-mail announcement letting members know their membership has run out and prompting a sign-up?

I think that's one of several issues with the site. We had the issue a few weeks back where we had a single point 0f failure, there is the right hand links not working issue, periodic issues with uploads.

How many "Webmasters" doe we have?

Not enough. Several people have offered to help. There seems to be some sort of disconnect between the will to help and the actual helping. I have no idea why. Computers are not my thing. Not sure if people don't know what they need to know to work on the site or if it's too hard to distribute the work or what.

Several webmasters does not seem to make sense to me, should be one person who "owns" the site and others can help as needed. Used to be a BOD position as they need to have access to the server(s) / code etc. Do we have this kind of set up?

Ok well I guess we need one with more time then? And someone who is able to utilize the help of other people effectively? I have no clue how any of it works. Sure seems like a lot of work for one person.

Webmaster'ing is REALLY hard work. Saying you're the go-to person is a huge deal. In the industry, people who are sys admins, for example, are easily paid $150k or more for even a small site. It takes a lot of time, you are pulled from daily life at any moment and expected to be able to fix complex systems.

I've employed teams of sys admins, I've been webmasters of my own large forums. To keep BAR's forum/site up, it would take a pretty big chunk of time. Asking one person to be the webmaster is a really big ask. I don't know what the other positions in the organization are like, but a webmaster is probably one of the top time consuming / skill required positions you can have.

We can have a very very generous web master who can dedicated his/her time (which easily costs $200/hr if you bill it to Silicon Valley Standards), or we can also try to budget money to have our issues handled by a company like BitPusher. It's costly, but it is the core of the club.

Just wanted to throw some insight into how difficult the issues can be. I'm sure you guys probably already know.

Whatever we decide to do, it's not going to be an easy solution I think.

Back