High Tide Aquatics

Website upgrade 2019

rygh

BOD
BOD
Just a heads up that the web site will change a bit over in the next few weeks.

Key goals:
  • Retain current look and feel of the website - no big changes
  • Fix email problems - we are losing paying members due to this.
  • Upgrade to xenForo 2.x framework - old one is end of life, has bugs and security issues.
  • Make website easier to support long term - we cannot reliably get a webmaster expert.
  • Clean up the mess - there are quite a few things broken that are not visible.
  • Improved server - a bit better performance.

We have been working with a consultant to do that over the last few weeks, and it is going fairly well.
So we may do the switch next week. Site will likely be down for a day.

The only big downside : We have a complex DBTC script, and with no expert, it is really
not viable to port, and not viable to support long term.
The BAR board of directors and others had a lot of discussions on this.
We are working on alternatives, but the special DBTC chain tracking data will likely go away.
The DBTC threads themselves will not be lost though, and creating a new one may
actually become easier in the future as we add templates.

Stay tuned on this thread for more information.

PS: Anyone who complains is hereby nominated to be new webmaster. :)

Awesome to hear that progress is being made and on the DBTC front I feel that all of it is honor based anyways so I’m assuming we can all chip in and update the new site with all the relevant info. Maybe not as detailed but a good chunk should be easy to sort.

Excited about the new site! Btw, I know I haven't been very active here as of late (new baby), but I'm still more than willing to help out with any graphic design need for the site or event promo stuff. Just shoot me a pm, I still take a peek at least once a day.. when my phone is not in my 9 month old's mouth (kidding).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Update:

The plan is to switch over Wednesday night.
Site will go down probably around 5 PM.
Hopefully it will work by the next morning.

Excited about the new site! Btw, I know I haven't been very active here as of late (new baby), but I'm still more than willing to help out with any graphic design need for the site or event promo stuff. Just shoot me a pm, I still take a peek at least once a day.. when my phone is not in my 9 month old's mouth (kidding).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Step 1 is to fix what is broken.
Step 2 is to slowly improve it, and yes, part of that may be improving event promotions and graphics.
So later this year, I might hit you up for some help.

Looking good so far. I might recommend a darker color font in the menu though. It’s a tad hard to read because it’s so light colored on a white/light background.

A9D0120C-886D-4A43-A72C-90FDF6A69AC5.png

Reactions: JVU
Back