Cali Kid Corals

What little thing in reefkeeping changed your life?

In theory -- the jury may still be out on this one -- ceramic biomedia I find incredible, in terms of its enormous surface area. And I think it is having a significant positive impact to my tank, though impossible to quantify. It blows my mind, the surface area. And to think it was a ceramic foam. And then kilned (I presume). And now hosts pods and bacteria consuming bad stuff. Brilliant. I did the math: the 45-50 MarinePure Biocubes in my sump have the equivalent surface area of two ice rinks. Amazed.

As cool as I think biomedia is it definitely comes a distant second after computer-controlled ATO and AWC that others have mentioned. Not to mention the related log reports, charts, and notices.

Tech+Tanks=Tranquility

How do you personally use the pump? I looked at the link and it says submersible and another spot says wet/dry. I’ve been thinking about getting a small pump to do water changes and try to vacuum out crud, but think it’d be easier to use something that doesn’t require being submerged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use it to mix the saltwater and then to pump it into the tank. It won’t work to vacuum.

I use it to mix the saltwater and then to pump it into the tank. It won’t work to vacuum.
The Home Depot bucket head is a good option for vacuuming a sump. But be warned the float valve to shut it off when it’s full is finicky and I had it shoot water out the exhaust (idk what it’s called?), I would just turn it off before it fills the bucket.

The Home Depot bucket head is a good option for vacuuming a sump. But be warned the float valve to shut it off when it’s full is finicky and I had it shoot water out the exhaust (idk what it’s called?), I would just turn it off before it fills the bucket.

I have one in my plumbing truck that I use almost daily. I've had it spray many of times...

Spending money on a Spectrapure Ultimate Top Off.

This thing was really expensive, but ... wow, it made life so much easier! I used to use an old Medical enteric (??) doser, but it would alarm quite often and I had to guess at evaporation rates. This top off (or basically ANY Automatic Top Off) is fantastic.

V

Man picking one is kinda hard as there’s so many. But a personal favorite is the Hanna salinity checker. I always keep multiple tanks and just being able to dip it in each one and see a readout in seconds gives me piece of mind well worth the cost.

This little contraption www.xpaqua.com/Guardian.html . I have it on a timer to automatically refill my ATO reservoir once a week without any thought. No containers to carry around, never runs empty, no need to turn on the faucet to feed the rodi, and no forgetting to turn it off before it floods the floor (done that one too many times).
AKA the “marriage saver” haha

love that thing

Back