Reef nutrition

What order to add fish into tank?

HI all!
Now that I have decided on my stocking list and ordered the last of my setup, I need to figure out which order to purchase my fish in!
I plan to order them all from Clearwater Aquarium in SJ as I've had bad luck with online shipments and good luck with ordering freshwater fish from CW.

Frozen Frostbite Clownfish2
6 Line wrasse1
Midas Blenny1
Orange Spotted Goby1
Exquisite Firefish1
Royal Gramma1
Skunk Shrimp1
Randells Pistol Shrimp???1

I know that the 6 line will probably go in last but what about the clowns and the rest of my fish? Nearly last?

I would probably add the firefish first, then the goby/shrimp and the gramma, then the midas blenny, then the clowns and the sixline.

I would, however, caution you that midas blennies are known to nip at/attack firefish. I tried to mitigate this by adding the firefish first and the midas blenny as close to last as possible, but the midas blenny killed it within 24 hours of introduction.

I would probably add the firefish first, then the goby/shrimp and the gramma, then the midas blenny, then the clowns and the sixline.

I would, however, caution you that midas blennies are known to nip at/attack firefish. I tried to mitigate this by adding the firefish first and the midas blenny as close to last as possible, but the midas blenny killed it within 24 hours of introduction.
I'm not set on the firefish, do you have any 40Gal breeder appropriate alternatives?

Last edited:
When looking for fish, I typically default to Igreen's Nano guide (although I would caution that the tank sizes listed there typically run quite a bit smaller than those recommended by LiveAquaria/other vendors, so use your best judgment): https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/

I'd use that as a starting point, since it's hard to recommend a fish without knowing why you wanted it. Did you want it because of personality, shape/color, activity/location in the tank, or something else?

When looking for fish, I typically default to Igreen's Nano guide (although I would caution that the tank sizes listed there typically run quite a bit smaller than those recommended by LiveAquaria/other vendors, so use your best judgment): https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/

I'd use that as a starting point, since it's hard to recommend a fish without knowing why you wanted it. Did you want it because of personality, shape/color, activity/location in the tank, or something else?
Thanks for the excellent resource!
I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for. I'd like a mix of everything you've listed and I'm worried that my current stocking list is deficient in at least one of those areas. Originally I wanted a long nose hawkfish instead of the firefish until I learned they're not shrimp safe.

Personal opinions:

Everything but the wrasse all at once. The mass confusion can help because no fish has actually established its home turf.
Then never buy the wrasse. :)

Generally bad to mix really timid fish like firefish with a wrasse. But not impossible if you are set on it.
Make sure to have lots of rock and hiding places.

I think Long Nose Hawkfish and Skunk cleaner shrimp are fine. I have had both in my tank at the same time.
Generally fish tolerate cleaners a bit better, and they are far to large for a hawkfish to eat.

Personal opinions:

Everything but the wrasse all at once. The mass confusion can help because no fish has actually established its home turf.
Then never buy the wrasse. :)

Generally bad to mix really timid fish like firefish with a wrasse. But not impossible if you are set on it.
Make sure to have lots of rock and hiding places.

I think Long Nose Hawkfish and Skunk cleaner shrimp are fine. I have had both in my tank at the same time.
Generally fish tolerate cleaners a bit better, and they are far to large for a hawkfish to eat.
I mostly enjoy the wrasse for its multitude of colors, if I can find an equivalently pretty fish I'm happy to follow that advice to leave it out!
At this point im thinking I should swap out at least the firefish and possibly the 6 line.

Might be too small a tank, but how about a melanurus wrasse if not? They're peaceful, beautiful, eat pests. I was originally going to go with a six line before I decided on the melanurus.

Keep in mind that the introduction of that bio load will be a huge stress on the system.
I recommend that you do a 30% water change 2 or 3 days later
And again a week later
Be sure to off a variety of foods at each feed
Different fish eat different food types
Appetizers 5-7 times a day

Thanks , This was really helpful

Back