got ethical husbandry?

Where to buy a Custom Starphire Tank in Bay Area???

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4740.msg57859#msg57859 date=1223415360]
Kind of a sidetrack of a sidetrack, but where would you go to obtain starphire (or any other of the brands of low iron glass).

[/quote]

Just go to your local custom glass shop. I've asked mine about Sarphire and they said they can get it in. Was just checking out the DIY route. My wife would be more comfortable though if we got one from someone who does it professionally. :)

[quote author=theaquariumshowroom link=topic=4740.msg57864#msg57864 date=1223418010]
THats what I am doing my homework on as we speak. Theres a few glass suppliers in Hayward. I wasn't really trying to start my tank building company yet but prices for this stuff is getting so ridiculous from manufacturers. I know my guys can build glass and acrylic tanks, I just need to get all the right building equipment. I have been talking to some of my retired tank companies and they are sending down all the polishers, sanders, and other glass equipment they have in storage in the next few months. Now all we need is a good CNC machine to do all the acrylic. We usually order glass and acrylic tanks from certain MFG but now I guess we will be doing it ourselves in the near future.
[/quote]

Thanks... I look forward to hearing what you can find. By the way I checked out your place (The Aquarium Showroom) yesterday around 5:30ish. Kick A**! It brought a smile to my face. I am really looking forward to seeing you guys up and running at 100%. I just might be in there every other day... ;)

[quote author=Elite link=topic=4740.msg57837#msg57837 date=1223408674]
My dream tank is a 120"x48"x30" .. I guess I will need to win a Mega Jackpot ;D ..
[/quote]

My Dream tank is a little smaller but I love the Lagoon look and I like the pooltable size footprint. 96" x 48" x 18" 360 Gallon Lagoon Reef is my dream tank paired with a mega fish room with a long list of toys and features. :)

On a slightly different note, I'm surprised by the number of places that do tanks that will not respond to an email or phone call to give a quote for a tank. You'd think the economy was booming and in a place where you could turn down business because they are so busy. Only 3 have been good about getting back with me.

Gen at Kritter Products
Kashi at Aquatic Gallery
Max at the Auquatic Showroom

It looks as though I will be in the $800-$900 range for a tank (I'm still not understanding the big price difference from East Coast to West Coast; makes no sense!) For the most part Custom seems to be out of the question since they are so high priced. It seems to be down to either an Oceanic Tech Tank Model 105 that meets my specs standard or the Truvu 112 that also meets my specs standard. Starphire vs Acrylic? I know all the strong arguments on both sides. I'm mostly indifferent since both are a big improvement over my current green plate glass. Glass? - Heavy, fragile and seals that age... Acrylic... potential bowing and breakdown due to use of MH's. I will probably let best price and service decide...

How long ago has it been since you got a quote from an east cost for a custom tank. Prices have been driven up especially for acrylic as it is a petroleum product.

January of this year actually. Even now their prices havn't spiked significantly when I talk to my Carolina Fish Talk Crowd. Also with Petro already down significantly at the $80 a barrel range right now and expected to hit $67 a barrel soon... this seems as though it should keep the price of acrylic fairly consistent with what you would find at the beginning of the year when petro cost were similar... I'm no expert but it makes since to me. Any other spike in cost seems as though it would be rooted in a fear of increased price or drop in supply... Regardless, If I was shopping for these same tanks today in NC, VA, PA, FL... the prices would be $200-$300 less.

[quote author=iani link=topic=4740.msg58303#msg58303 date=1223659717]
Prices have been driven up especially for acrylic as it is a petroleum product.
[/quote]

Can you monopoly? Gas goes down, but the price of acrylic stays the same. They don't make cast acrylic overseas so the domestic market fixes the price.

If an acrylic tank is made properly with appropriate thickness of acrylic it will not bow, as well as if the bracing is done right the MH will not affect the integrity.

That said, I don't really prefer one over the other myself, I work on both and each one has its downsides and upsides.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=4740.msg58304#msg58304 date=1223660137]
I don't understand why I can't get a 3000 SF house here for under $200K. For $200K I can get a masion somewhere else ;D ..
[/quote]

Very True... here in Morgan Hill there is a 5 to 1 cost difference in housing from what we had in NC. Products (purchased from a store) though have had very little price difference. That's why I'm scratching my head here. Custom tanks... services type stuff I guess I can understand the price diff. It's the standard tanks that are still causing me to scratch my scalp.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4740.msg58307#msg58307 date=1223660417]
[quote author=iani link=topic=4740.msg58303#msg58303 date=1223659717]
Prices have been driven up especially for acrylic as it is a petroleum product.
[/quote]

That said, I don't really prefer one over the other myself, I work on both and each one has its downsides and upsides.
[/quote]

I agree... I will be happy with either.

Ya... i'm in no urgent rush. It will probably be the weekend of Novemeber 8th before I can realistically have time to do a tank swap. I'd like to have it before then to test for leaks and have ready for when I have time to tackle it. Then again... that's less than a month away. I'll keep looking... I'm firm on the base specs of the tank so if anyone knows of a tank out there that I should check out, please share!

Thanks!

Did you check with World Marine System in San Jose? Not the best place to buy tank but they are cheaper than most places. A month is not much.

BTW, I wouldn't use starphire glass on an 18"W tank.. It makes your tank look like 5"W ;D>

I've attempted to get a quote from WMS and they are one of the places that have not responded to me all week. I'm actually fine with the Starphire on the 18"W... the clarity and color in comparison to plate glass is great. That's the most important factor for me...

It's best to come down and talk to them in person. Bring your DETAIL drawing. They don't speak english that well. I have a hard time speaking VNese with the guy sometimes LMAO ..

The acrylic prices didn't really start going up a lot until a few months ago. There is a bit of a lag from the oil prices to the places that manufacturer the acrylic to the places that build the tanks. Even if oil drops to 67 it will take a while for the the acrylic manufacturers drop their prices (if they even do) and it will take even longer for the tank builders to drop theirs.

Back