got ethical husbandry?

Where to get black spa flex ?

I have only found the black stuff online.
Marine Depot sells it, but expensive.
I forget where I ordered mine.

Lowes has the white version. Pretty much the same.

I got black from Ewing but I ordered a roll.

You can also try (internet) http://flexpvc.com/

I see them at a lot of shows

dswong01 said:
I found some 3/4" white spaflex at my local ace hardware at downtown hayward.

Super helpful in his search for black
SpaFlex :lol:

dswong01 said:
gimmito said:
I need 3/4" & 1" black spa flex. Where is a good place to pick it up ?

dswong01 said:
I found some 3/4" white spaflex at my local ace hardware at downtown hayward.

White Spaflex is very easy to find, bummer he's looking for BLACK though :lol:

Just a note that the flex pipe on that site is not approved for Potable water, the reason being that it leaves a funny taste.
Not sure how that might affect the fish.
I ended up using vinyl tubing for the important areas, and the thing ribbed flex stuff for the low pressure areas.

Thanks for the heads up Mark...I'll call and ask them if it's fish safe. A friend of mine bought a roll of black spa flex from them on his 240 dt...seems to be working okay.
Did you mean corrugated vinyl tubing ?

I used standard 1/8" clear vinyl tubing for the sections that just needed some bends, not serious flexibility.
For truly flexible needs, yes, the thin corrugated tubing.

rygh said:
Just a note that the flex pipe on that site is not approved for Potable water, the reason being that it leaves a funny taste.
Not sure how that might affect the fish.
I ended up using vinyl tubing for the important areas, and the thing ribbed flex stuff for the low pressure areas.
I know dozens upon dozens of tanks that have used it for years with no problems. I've used it on every tank I have installed with zero issues. I know public aquariums, hatcheties, LFSs and wholesale facilities that have used it for years. None issue and not even worth mentioning IMO given the vast positive reviews. Its considered a tried and true method of aquarium plumbing.

I used about 50 feet of spaflex on my tank. I can tell you there is some sort of residue in the spaflex that knocked down my skimmer head for about a week. My friend told me it was probably the releasing agent that was used when manufacturing the pvc.

iani said:
I used about 50 feet of spaflex on my tank. I can tell you there is some sort of residue in the spaflex that knocked down my skimmer head for about a week. My friend told me it was probably the releasing agent that was used when manufacturing the pvc.
For what tank volume? New tank? New skimmer?

I used 200' of 1"....100' of 2"....40' of 4" all on a 680g and had absolutly no issues. That was a quarter million dollar install.

Perhaps not all flex PVC is created equal.
It could be possible that different manufacturers use different phthalate softeners to make it flexible.
A lot of those have been recently banned.

Maybe check to see if others have it rated for potable water. That pretty much guarantees it is ok.

Back