High Tide Aquatics

Will's 300g Re-Do

Not cheap, but BRS tested a number of different lights to grow cheato and the best by far was the Kessil h380. Will grow algae quickly and has the added benefit of increasing the PH. I have one and just ordered a seconded one. One thing people don't realize is that the refugium light has to complete with the lights in the DT in order to reduce the nitrates and phosphates available to algae. The H380 I think has a par of 1500 and the spectrum is set just for growing plant life.

Dick Flanagan

Reactions: JVU
Not cheap, but BRS tested a number of different lights to grow cheato and the best by far was the Kessil h380. Will grow algae quickly and has the added benefit of increasing the PH. I have one and just ordered a seconded one. One thing people don't realize is that the refugium light has to complete with the lights in the DT in order to reduce the nitrates and phosphates available to algae. The H380 I think has a par of 1500 and the spectrum is set just for growing plant life.

Dick Flanagan
Yeah...that's one pricey light for a fuge. How is it working out for you so far? Can you tell the difference?

Just introduced my juvenile ocellaris clown. He is so small that I wasn't sure how my female was going to react. But it appears that all is good. I put him in a clear tube to introduce him near my nems and the female. Seems like it worked!

8bc228a5b34152c73856b0dc9f87c428.jpg

a6441bb64c69bb04e1c0c9e758f545dc.jpg

Wlachnit, it's growing cheato very fast. While waiting for the second one,I have been moving some of the cheato to my second sump. It has led lights that lfs sold me a couple of years ago, but they don't do nearing the job the Kessil does. It is costly, especially 2, but from all my readings a good functioning refugium makes everything more stable. I am also using the trition method on my 150 gal. and it requires a good refugium.
If your interested call me in a couple of weeks and I should have a progress report by then. 510-655-3066. As we talked last year when your not busy I would like to see your aquarium. It's looking great.

So...on the basis of a few recommendations, I went ahead and order the Mars 300w light for my fuge. I thought I would go down this path and see how it goes...rather than pulling the trigger on something like the H380. Anyway, this thing is a beast! Didn't realize how big or bright it was going to be despite the comments here. It's actually pretty heavy as well...so have to figure out best way to hang it.

7fde52a9c8d9e8c5cea403d080677175.jpg

a830c7d825dcc8755431616ba8f7312b.jpg

I was surprised that it didn't put out a lot of heat for the amount of light. I have it enclosed in my sump and I can't tell if it's been on or not when I open the door.

Back