Our mission

Will's 300g Re-Do

I synced by Vortechs for a different flow patterns. 1 of which is a chaotic flow pattern "nutrient export'. I also have a smooth lagoon and various other patterns.

I tried Gyres/synced pumps, etc.
I gave up and just added more power heads pointed at each other.
May not be perfect, but a lot simpler and quieter.

my tank is kind of chaotic, i have powerheads on opposite sides that point nearly at eachother, creating this downward current in the middle of the tank

Well...still playing around a bit with the flow pattern. For now, I have decided to turn down my Maxspect Gyres to about 40% so that I don't hear them. Any higher and the sound becomes noticeable. I will try to rebuild the noisy MP40 dryside by replacing the bearings. This will then give me a total of 4 MP40s along with the 2 Gyres.

On a completely different note, I have been ignoring the STN on my purple stag. I kept thinking that I need to deal with it and just kept putting it off. As I was staring at my tank before the lights came on with only the morning sun on my tank, ...yikes...it became really apparent how bad the STN had gotten. So, it was time to pull it out and save as much I could . I have had pretty good success stopping STN by sealing the necrotic edge with superglue, but the STN was really advanced here. So, I cut it up trying to save as much as possible. Should have a couple frags for the swap.

547d90f473e0341d7602ab77f5f834e0.jpg

ff0b372c74767badc26cd60a219a042d.jpg

That's too bad. I've found the frag you gave me to be a very hardy frag, but you never know sometimes why stn happens. If you ever need, consider it a dbtc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cali tort is stning as well. It's got growth and color but it's loosing flesh at certain areas. I'm thinking it's from too much flow. It's sitting in direct path of a WAV that is running pretty high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been reconsidering flow as well after seeing the high flow tanks at TGC. They run WP-40s at 100% with fist size colonies, some within 8-10" from the WPs. There's 3 of them in each corner and then the return which is pretty strong as well. It's pretty high flow when you can see some colonies being rocked back and forth in the flow near the center of the raceways.

I've since placed a couple of recently acquired milles in the direct flow of an MP10wES at 100% to test (~6-8" away). One lost tissue, but didn't RTN/STN, and actually has fully healed. It's slowly encrusting now. Also did the same with the pink lemonade frag that hasn't grown at all since acquiring it in January. I actually snapped that one in half and then planted them next to each other slightly off centered from the direct path of the flow and it's slowly taking off.

The MP10wES only maxes out at 1500 gph and the MP40s puts out about 3x more flow has got me considering switching over to MP40s ahead of schedule.

Well...still can't get my nitrates down. I have been using a biopellet reactor and four of the marinepure blocks. They have been running close to 30ppm which makes me uncomfortable and probably also explains the STN. So, I am now considering some form of carbon dosing which I do not have any experience with....what are people's experiences with carbon dosing, be it vodka, vinegar, nopox?

Back