Will's 300g Re-Do

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Wlachnit, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I tried a frag of this and it rtn'd on me overnight the first night I had it. I haven't tried it since. Maybe when I get my CaRx up and running. Luckily I didn't pay for it. A small piece broke off of one of the other member's colony and he gave it to me.

2. Chromis

Chromis Supporting Member

It's nice to see a mix of tangs coexisting and that the purple tang worked out!

Wlachnit likes this.
  3. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Vice President

Yeah, a lot less painful when you didn't pay for it. I may have a frag by the time the regional swap is here for anyone that makes a go of it. They are touchy.

4. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Vice President

Agreed. Pretty happy with them. Still thinking about adding another one but not sure which.

5. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Vice President

Leopard in QT. Doing So far I've had good success with TTM and leopards as well as Halicheorus by giving them a small area of sand that I change out when I TTM every 3 days.

[​IMG]

Female Meleagris Leopard

[​IMG]

6. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

I've used sand in a 16 oz deli container with good results. Easier to clean up and keeps it deep enough as the go in and out of the sand

Coral reefer likes this.
  7. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

You guys using live sand or dry?

8. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

I used dry....Didn't expect the sand to stay live long once I opened it and water started to evaporate.

9. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Vice President

I have a bucket of sand and put a couple deli container's worth in my sump. From there, I use a handful for my quarantine and then throw it out with every transfer. Not sure why I really do that since I use prime anyway and I transfer every 3 days. Years ago I used play sand (silica based) because I was using Cupramine as part of my quarantine. It never felt that the Wrasse would dive in as readily. I'm sure the Cupramine was kicking the crap out of the Wrasses. Once I discovered TTM a couple of years ago, I'll never go back to copper based meds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Vice President

Bizarre...bizarre...bizarre!
    I had a couple of Anthias and fairy wrasses in a 2nd set of QT that were going through TTM along with my leopard wrasse. The Anthias and Fairies died within 15 hrs after the 3rd transfer. :mad: I had become pretty confident with my QT process and have had nothing but success provided that they were eating beforehand and I hadn't done something stupid (which I have done in the past). The only thing that was different from the leopard QT was that I used a couple of small pieces of LR (which I replace for every transfer) for the Fairies to cocoon in every night. I suppose it's possible that there was something wonky with these two pieces of LR...that's the only thing I can think of. The batch of water was the same, the tanks were cleaned in the same manner...very perplexing. I usually think nothing of putting fish through TTM....this kinda changes that for me now....bummer! :(

11. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

Bummer, I have healthy and eating fish die in QT too for no apparent reason.

12. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

Why not use PVC? Never an issue using PVC for the wrasses

13. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Vice President

I do use PVC as well...they just seem to be less freaked out in the rock...but may be I will go back to PVC only.

14. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

Very strange. You would think that the leopard would have died as well, as they are generally a more delicate fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Every now and then you do hear about fish dying in ttm. It is stressful for them. That's why some people don't do it at all. Heck, I've been known to roll the dice on occasion and add a fish right in.

16. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Vice President

Still working on how properly take pics with the DSLR...definilty an improvement over the iPhone.

Flame Wrasse. It was a male female pair, but now the female has now changed into a sub dominant male...hopefully he stays that way. You can see him in the back.
    [​IMG]

An Elegance that I got from Buon about a year ago. Hasn't added another eye...but then again I don't target feed it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's been with me through thick and thin for 9+ years. Has had those HLLE scars since I got her.
    [​IMG]

daddio and Coral reefer like this.
  17. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Vice President

Gyre or chaos...that is the question.

I have my flow currently setup as a gyre as shown in the pic below. I'm using 3 MP40WQDs and 2 Maxspect Gyre 150s. As I went to replace one of my MP40s (cuz the motor got really loud...and I couldn't stand the noise), I set it up temporarily such that I caused less of a gyre and perhaps more chaotic flow. As a result, it seemed that there was much more movement in the tank. Anyway, I now wonder if I'm better off just setting up the powerheads without worrying if I have a gyre or not? Besides, the Maxspects are too noisy for me. So, I would like to pull those out.

Thoughts?

18. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

What pic?

19. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Vice President

Oops....Artist's rendition below.

[​IMG]

20. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I didn't sync my vortechs so there would be greater chaotic randomness.