Cali Kid Corals

Will's 300g Re-Do

I tried a frag of this and it rtn'd on me overnight the first night I had it. I haven't tried it since. Maybe when I get my CaRx up and running. Luckily I didn't pay for it. A small piece broke off of one of the other member's colony and he gave it to me.

I tried a frag of this and it rtn'd on me overnight the first night I had it. I haven't tried it since. Maybe when I get my CaRx up and running. Luckily I didn't pay for it. A small piece broke off of one of the other member's colony and he gave it to me.
Yeah, a lot less painful when you didn't pay for it. I may have a frag by the time the regional swap is here for anyone that makes a go of it. They are touchy.

Leopard in QT. Doing So far I've had good success with TTM and leopards as well as Halicheorus by giving them a small area of sand that I change out when I TTM every 3 days.

72d0da3aef5499d44888e6b7904ae3e3.jpg

Female Meleagris Leopard

e13db0779f73a38a359ebaa545b1b91c.jpg

I have a bucket of sand and put a couple deli container's worth in my sump. From there, I use a handful for my quarantine and then throw it out with every transfer. Not sure why I really do that since I use prime anyway and I transfer every 3 days. Years ago I used play sand (silica based) because I was using Cupramine as part of my quarantine. It never felt that the Wrasse would dive in as readily. I'm sure the Cupramine was kicking the crap out of the Wrasses. Once I discovered TTM a couple of years ago, I'll never go back to copper based meds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bizarre...bizarre...bizarre!
I had a couple of Anthias and fairy wrasses in a 2nd set of QT that were going through TTM along with my leopard wrasse. The Anthias and Fairies died within 15 hrs after the 3rd transfer. :mad: I had become pretty confident with my QT process and have had nothing but success provided that they were eating beforehand and I hadn't done something stupid (which I have done in the past). The only thing that was different from the leopard QT was that I used a couple of small pieces of LR (which I replace for every transfer) for the Fairies to cocoon in every night. I suppose it's possible that there was something wonky with these two pieces of LR...that's the only thing I can think of. The batch of water was the same, the tanks were cleaned in the same manner...very perplexing. I usually think nothing of putting fish through TTM....this kinda changes that for me now....bummer! :(

Very strange. You would think that the leopard would have died as well, as they are generally a more delicate fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every now and then you do hear about fish dying in ttm. It is stressful for them. That's why some people don't do it at all. Heck, I've been known to roll the dice on occasion and add a fish right in.

Still working on how properly take pics with the DSLR...definilty an improvement over the iPhone.

Flame Wrasse. It was a male female pair, but now the female has now changed into a sub dominant male...hopefully he stays that way. You can see him in the back.
06bc920ec50b279d5f5eaf10197c5715.jpg

An Elegance that I got from Buon about a year ago. Hasn't added another eye...but then again I don't target feed it.
5a3bc3c7029d3b1c76108b64200812db.jpg

63a9ef401abc0371f211fbf7d3755c03.jpg

165f08976f89c8cf506f415ee29b5e9b.jpg

c9b84698517a52c5958823fba50a0b74.jpg

a507b73d038a306b418731e47be568ce.jpg

She's been with me through thick and thin for 9+ years. Has had those HLLE scars since I got her.
3e72d1fd0657db9e4ec3be81abbacc20.jpg

Gyre or chaos...that is the question.

I have my flow currently setup as a gyre as shown in the pic below. I'm using 3 MP40WQDs and 2 Maxspect Gyre 150s. As I went to replace one of my MP40s (cuz the motor got really loud...and I couldn't stand the noise), I set it up temporarily such that I caused less of a gyre and perhaps more chaotic flow. As a result, it seemed that there was much more movement in the tank. Anyway, I now wonder if I'm better off just setting up the powerheads without worrying if I have a gyre or not? Besides, the Maxspects are too noisy for me. So, I would like to pull those out.

Thoughts?

Back