High Tide Aquatics

09/10 Member only frag swap

Attending?

• Total voters

Srt4eric

Vice President
BOD
We will be having a members-only frag swap on Sunday 09/10 at The Patterson Ranch Club House

We are still working on some of the details, will be added to thread as we go.

Location : The Patterson Ranch Club House - 5298 Rancho Del Norte Dr Fremont, CA 94555
Date : September 10th 2023
Time : 12:00a - 2p or so. Registration starts at 11:30a.

Food and drink will be available but we are still working on those details.

Requirements
1. Must register for the event, using the poll at the top of the thread, must be done three days before the event.
2. Be a supporting member, there is no entry fee.
3. Bring a minimum of 3 separate coral frags, none from the "banned" list, and properly contained (see below).
4. Check in before 11am. If you come after we will check you in but may have lost a picking round, and you don't get to make it up with an extra pick. And it makes it more hectic for us.

Schedule
11a-12a: Setup
11:30a-12a: Registration and running corals to tables.
12a-2p or so: Swapping!
Clean up to follow.

Volunteers are needed!

Bonus/Ultra round details are here.
Complete list of bonus/ultra corals

Raffle
2x $100 gift cards to Reef Nutrition

This post is older but a good intro to how swaps work for those of you who haven’t been to one yet (some details have changed):

How does a BAR Frag Swap Work?

This thread will serve to explain how BAR Frag Swaps and Bonus Rounds work in general and save space in the frag swap event threads. *Each frag swap event may have specific rules so read the frag swap thread too!* See any major errors or have concerns? PM me. What is a frag swap? A frag swap...
www.bareefers.org

Valid frags
  • Corals MUST be in clear plastic containers, that includes lids and sides, so no styrofoam. Plastic bags will not be allowed.
  • Corals MUST be labeled with at the very least a description (e.g. name and/or color + coral type), your username. The approximate lighting level they are under can be helpful.
  • These corals are not eligible for swapping, but can be brought for the freebie table.
  • Corals should be healthy and pest free. While we should assume everything could have hidden pests, if your frag plug has Aiptasia or signs of pests it will not be accepted.
  • Frag sizes you should use will vary, bonus corals have a specified minimum, but I like to say "what kind of frag would you like to see" and use that as a guideline for how much/how big.
  • There's always a debate about mounted versus unmounted corals, and that probably will never get settled, as a result no requirement either way.
  • Things like anemones are ok if they're of a desirable nature i.e. bubble tips, maxi-mini carpets, NOT Aiptasia.
  • Sponges are not valid frags and neither is any type of macroalgae, but can be brought for the freebie table.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make a volunteer thread already so I can sign me and Tiff up.

Edit: Just throwing it out there that Tiff and I will volunteer for setup, registration, and coral running.

Last edited:
Posting this for the newbies and people who may not know:
  1. Becoming a supporting member (and thus being eligible to attend) costs only $30. It is well worth it for this alone, and I PROMISE you will leave with FAR more than $30 of coral.
  2. If you don't have the three frags required for entry, people here are extremely generous and it's virtually guaranteed someone will offer to cover your entry into the swap.
Come meet new people, hang out, and socialize!

Posting this for the newbies and people who may not know:
  1. Becoming a supporting member (and thus being eligible to attend) costs only $30. It is well worth it for this alone, and I PROMISE you will leave with FAR more than $30 of coral.
  2. If you don't have the three frags required for entry, people here are extremely generous and it's virtually guaranteed someone will offer to cover your entry into the swap.
Come meet new people, hang out, and socialize!
10000000% agree. I did my first swap not too long ago and brought 4 corals and left with 7 frags of some really nice stuff. Tons of LPS, SPS, Zoas, etc.. Even saw some nems and somebody brought 2 huge clowns to give away too.

The fee to become a supporting member is so worth it.

Given my tank issues in recent months (and the fact I'm currently running the tank with coral, fallow, to prevent any possible disease transmission), would I also be able to ask if anyone has a frag pack, or bonus frag pack, I could purchase?

Asking in advance to make sure I'm prepared :)

Overthinking but Question, does the plus one mean for family or another reefer to enter the swap?
Family/friend/etc, but only one pick per round. (E.g. if you bring your wife, either you can pick a coral, you can give her your pick, but you don't each get a pick unless she's a supporting member as well)

Looking forward to it! For those of you who haven’t done them before, our members-only swaps have a little different feel than our open swaps. More personal, and often folks bring their nicest corals to swap. Bonus/ultra rounds add another fun dimension.

Looking forward to it! For those of you who haven’t done them before, our members-only swaps have a little different feel than our open swaps. More personal, and often folks bring their nicest corals to swap. Bonus/ultra rounds add another fun dimension.
Bonus round? This will be my first member only swap.

Bonus round? This will be my first member only swap.

Back