Kessil

180 gallon stocked with 40 plus fish

My husband was scanning through craigslist, as he so often does. He was going through the fish stuff because he knows i really want to get into this hobby and sees this tank for sale for 3500. We go take a look and its incredible. I have never seen so many fish and lots of them and all healthy and fat. There are tons of corals too. This tank goes agaisnt everything i see on these forums. I saw 2 blue hippos, a naso tang, a blonde naso tang, powder blue tang, flame angel, 2 sets of clowns, various wrasses, 10 anthias of which kind im not sure, firefish, 2 mimic tangs. That is what i remember but i think there was more. But not only that he had so much coral mostly softies but everything was thriving. All the fish had super bright color and were fat and healthy. not sure how to post the link but its there still.

Just searched the tank on CL. That tank is a 180 with a 120 gallon sump. Doesn't seem too uncommon that a tank of that size would have that many fish. If you think that is a lot you should check out Lapsan's tank. It is very possible to do a successful reef tank with a lot of fish. You just need to choose the right ones for the coral you want to keep.

Yeah I'd call that a bit overstocked personally, not to say it isn't doable.

And yeah Lapsan's tank has a few fish... but it's like 300 gallons or something :D

My husband jim saw that I posted about the tank so he figured I musta liked it alot since i havent said too much of others we have seen. Got to love a man that goes out and buys something because he knew I wanted to get into the hobby and that I loved that tank. :) Well that and all the worrying about what to get how to set it up how big ect, ect. Jim just finally took charge and here we go to pick up a 180 mixed reef tank. ;) I am very happy and excited right now.

so much work.. this has turned into a family project with 3 or 4 people around last few days. Im sure people are laughing at us. If I knew how to post pictures I would. Working on the plumbing today, decided to run through the wall and put the chiller, return pump, water reservoir, and rodi outside. Also plumbed to drain sump outside and fill from reservoir for easy water changes and hooked up auto top off to rodi. Jim is worried about all the weight so probably going to reinforce soon. The electrician is coming tommorrow to run a deicated circuit for the fish tank so we dont blow a fuse with all these extension cords. kinda have way to many all over the place ::) . Ill post when I can and if anyone has any suggestions or questions now is time while we are in process of putting everything together. I am also going to put on the skimmer, calcium reacor, phosphate reactor, uv steralizer up later as all need to be cleaned and going to look into replacing media if needed. Also not sure if going to tie all that into system or run separately with another pump. wondering if everyone runs everything together or on separate pumps.

I would recommend against hooking up your auto top off straight to your rodi system. If a float valve fails in the on position fresh water will continually be added to your system causing it to overflow and lower your salinity. I recommend using a container that is only big enough to fill your sump to the max if the system were to fail.

120 gallon sump so 30 gallons? i could hook it up to the container i am going to use to mix the salt water and mix the salt water right before i do a water change?

What kind of lighting are you running?

I have (2) 400w MH on my 120g and go through at least 2.5g a day. My 58g with 4 T-5's goes through about gallon + a day

three mh by pfo lighting 250w mh then 400 w mh then another 250 w mh. Four 72 in 96w 420nm atinics gutted outta a coralife fixture (kinda diy) also robbed the moonlights too

My biggest maintenance nuisance are water changes. Ask the previous owner how much and how often he changes his water.

Then picture yourself hauling(or pumping is better) clean saltwater to the tank/sump and then draining and dumping the dirty saltwater into the toilet/drain.

PS. I had a 1970 Barracuda. Black, Gran Coupe, 383 v-8. I didn't do much cruising with it because it used a lot of gas.

I know code states that a GFCI needs to be within 4 feet (could have changed) of any running water, however I might be mistaken but I think that might not apply to aquariums because they aren't "permanent fixtures"

He told us he changed the water every week most of the time. did about 20 - 25 gallons. yeah dont want to lug that much water around. That is why we plumbed a pipe right to the drain so i could drain the sump in 15 seconds ;), then we plumbed from the container which im going to mix my salt water back to the sump. Shouldnt be very long to do a water change or difficult for me of about 30 gallons. Also, put the rodi right over our resivoir (jim wants to make it easy for me so i will take care of it since i am one who stays at home). I really appreciate all the work my husband is doing. As well as other family members that have come by and spent hours helping with this project.

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=5215.msg65058#msg65058 date=1227073725]
I go through at least 30g of topoff every week.
[/quote]
Really Eileen? Would realize you had that much evaporation, I barely go through 10g a week with 300+ gallons.

Back