Kessil

180 gallon stocked with 40 plus fish

for top off,i use RO/DI with double float switch and a kent float switch.never have a problem in over 9 year of reefing.with that many fishes :),i would consider upgrade the biggest skimmer u afford and a Nitrate reactor.i use to do 20% monthly water change.Now i only do 10% water change every 2 months.all my fishes is Fat and healthy.I love fishes :) hehehe.

lapsan

There's another recent thread about GFI outlets, lots of us have problems with them tripping when lighting turns on due to the ballasts. I started with a new circuit with a GFI outlet, then went back to regular outlet due to too many trips. It's an easy change so you can try starting with GFI and see if your system causes it to false trip.

Regarding water changes, I change 30-40%/ month. Probalby don't need to change that much since I have low bioload, but when you make the water changing super easy with your plumbing, it's almost fun. ;D

[quote author=CookieJar link=topic=5215.msg65147#msg65147 date=1227124096]
Regarding water changes, I change 30-40%/ month. Probalby don't need to change that much since I have low bioload, but when you make the water changing super easy with your plumbing, it's almost fun. ;D
[/quote]
But what about maintaining a stable trace element level?

when u do that much waterchange ,that a great way to replended trace elements ,your corals love you for that.[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5215.msg65153#msg65153 date=1227125053]
[quote author=CookieJar link=topic=5215.msg65147#msg65147 date=1227124096]
[/quote]
But what about maintaining a stable trace element level?
[/quote]

I guess it is like
Give a person a huge meal every 2 days
vs
Give a person 3 small meals every day

I'd be happier with consistent food :p...then again, I'm not a coral so who knows

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5215.msg65102#msg65102 date=1227109672]
I know code states that a GFCI needs to be within 4 feet (could have changed) of any running water, however I might be mistaken but I think that might not apply to aquariums because they aren't "permanent fixtures"

[/quote]

Depends on the inspector, I just installed a tank in a commercial building where the electrician did not install a GFCI on the power source, the inspector had no problem with it. Thank god he didn't look in the stand and see all the spagetti guts of a reef tank.

Jeremy, I wasn't talking about nutrient export. I was talking about more stable levels of trace elements. Apples and oranges :)

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5215.msg65173#msg65173 date=1227130288]
Jeremy, I wasn't talking about nutrient export. I was talking about more stable levels of trace elements. Apples and oranges :)

[/quote]

I'd imagine it's the same effect though...

You are right. It is the same effect (but in revers..export/import)

...but what do we say is important about reefing? Stability :) What is more stable: big infrequent WCs or smaller frequent WCs?

Stop with the squabbling. jk :) I do a 15 gallon water change every two weeks if I am lucky. My system is about 225 gallons total.

We are like Big family,we're like bickering:)[quote author=iani link=topic=5215.msg65177#msg65177 date=1227130842]
Stop with the squabbling. jk :) I do a 15 gallon water change every two weeks if I am lucky. My system is about 225 gallons total.
[/quote]

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5215.msg65178#msg65178 date=1227130907]
We don't squabble. We bicker like old ladies.
[/quote]

Tony and I don't like each other, I'm all like "tastes great", but he keeps saying "less filling".

lets see i just got the tank and I have seen two nasos one reg one blond, two vagammi (sp) tangs, two blue hippo tangs, powder blue tang, powder brown tang, 10 to 12 anthias (some lyrtail i think,some strawberry maybe and one huge square back) two six line wrasses, two yellow cortez wrasse or spanish wrasse not sure, one red coris wrasse, two cleaner shrimps, two fire shrimps, two percula, two yellow strip maroon, flame angel, pottery angel, two purple firefish gobies, one red firefish gobies. ... that is what i see havent had the tank that long its new to me. *smile ~amy

You will need to feed a lot more than 2 cubes of frozen food. You have a lot of tangs. Give them a lot of nori. I don't use frozen Brine. I hear they don't have much nutrition. I like Formula one and two flake.

Back