got ethical husbandry?

2500 gallon Koi pond

Alright, because my back hurts just looking at that :D

How deep is it going to be? Doesn't look very deep in the pictures unless you plan building up the walls.

We are going to build up the walls with cinder block. 2-3 1/2 feet finished depth. the whole thing will be concrete and block with a brick cap/coping.
I plan to seal it with a product called "Rubberize it" a no VOC koi safe coating.
http://www.rubberizeit.com/

FWIW if you don't get it passed 3', closer to 4', raccoons and birds will be an issue. They have no issues with 2', they'll still tear the crap out of your pond trying to get the fish.

If you go that shallow, provide deep hiding spots... milk crates with large rock covers work great for this.

+1. Up close, herons are huge and pretty intimidating. The deeper the better as the water temp fluctuates less and fish do not get sick as often.

A pond that allows them to thrive, and keep the correct body shape will be ~15' deep :) Of course John isn't planning on showing them so I doubt he is worried about the minor body shape difference :D

FWIW John... www.Mizuho-koi.com (just wait till the new bag comes out, I spent a TON of time designing it)

Wow. I did not know that this stuff is from Reed's. I was going to try it but got a great deal on the saki. I'll give it a shot next time.

Holy Cow! That looks beautiful man. Nice design! I love that you will be able to really enjoy it from the deck. Can't wait to see the finished product.

BAYMAC said:
A pond that allows them to thrive, and keep the correct body shape will be ~15' deep :) Of course John isn't planning on showing them so I doubt he is worried about the minor body shape difference :D

FWIW John... www.Mizuho-koi.com (just wait till the new bag comes out, I spent a TON of time designing it)

I just want to get them good and fat so it feels like something significant when we set the hook! :D
Fish on!!!! zzzzzzzzzzzzz Yeee haaawww!!!!!

Looks terrific. If you add a chiller and salt water, you can make this a salmon pen :)

Can't wait to see it teeming with beautiful koi!

Crabby said:
Looks terrific. If you add a chiller and salt water, you can make this a salmon pen :)

Can't wait to see it teeming with beautiful koi!

Hmmmmm! Salmon pen... What was I thinking :bigsmile:

BAYMAC said:

Very nice design!
Yet another Reed Mariculture product I will need! :)

Cool project.
Just a thought: How about a deep zone under that bridge/walkway?
Might be a good spot for fish to hide from predators.
Various pipe intakes and equipment could be hidden there.
Safer for kids.

rygh said:
Cool project.
Just a thought: How about a deep zone under that bridge/walkway?
Might be a good spot for fish to hide from predators.
Various pipe intakes and equipment could be hidden there.
Safer for kids.

Actually, I have enlisted with a retired Cal Trans engineer to put in a 6' culvert to the ocean with a series of small pumps and check valves.
We expect completion in 2040. ;)
At that time it will be converted to a kelp forest/ abalone farm.

Back