Neptune Aquatics

90 Gallon Mixed Reef

177ike said:
xcaret said:
I'll borrow your idea to mount my fans, came out nice !!

Glad it worked out for you! Got any pictures?

Got distracted with a couple DIY projects but will post the images as soon as I'm done with them.

Another question, your fuge light, you added the reflector? Is a cool way of lighting the fuge.

Updated FTS:

_MG_7720-1.jpg

xcaret said:
177ike said:
xcaret said:
I'll borrow your idea to mount my fans, came out nice !!

Glad it worked out for you! Got any pictures?

Got distracted with a couple DIY projects but will post the images as soon as I'm done with them.

Another question, your fuge light, you added the reflector? Is a cool way of lighting the fuge.

I saw your posts on the new tank your building out of acrylic. Looks good. As far as the reflected fuge light goes, it's working well and I had to pull out a couple fistfulls for the first time yesterday. The only downside I'm seeing to lighting a fuge this way is that I've started getting coralline algae growing on the side of the sump where the light shines thru, which will block some of the light getting into the sump. What can I say, I'm not getting the purple stuff that grows in my tank and I'm not happy. I get some purple coralline growing, and I'm still not happy.

Maybe is just a matter of waiting on the purple; some people scrape it off and place it back into the display so it starts growing or at least I've been told that. I had a lot of it growing then had to throttle back on Calcium and Magnesium since I don't have a heavily, nor lightly stocked sps tank. I'm just amazed on the build quality your brother put on your stand; world class indeed. If there was a "Stand of the Month" on any forum, this build would be the stand of the year.

Elite said:
Very nice stand/canopy. How come you don't paint the inside of the stand with some kind of waterproof paint?

The inside has been sprayed with multiple coats of polyurethane. This goes for the stand and canopy. Paint would have probably worked as well, however, I haven't seen a need to do so. I haven't noticed any impact to the stand/canopy from the moisture since my canopy and stand are open back. The poly coats are holding up well.

xcaret said:
Maybe is just a matter of waiting on the purple; some people scrape it off and place it back into the display so it starts growing or at least I've been told that. I had a lot of it growing then had to throttle back on Calcium and Magnesium since I don't have a heavily, nor lightly stocked sps tank. I'm just amazed on the build quality your brother put on your stand; world class indeed. If there was a "Stand of the Month" on any forum, this build would be the stand of the year.

What, no TOTM? You don't like my tank filled with rock? ;)

177ike said:
Elite said:
Very nice stand/canopy. How come you don't paint the inside of the stand with some kind of waterproof paint?

The inside has been sprayed with multiple coats of polyurethane. This goes for the stand and canopy. Paint would have probably worked as well, however, I haven't seen a need to do so. I haven't noticed any impact to the stand/canopy from the moisture since my canopy and stand are open back. The poly coats are holding up well.
oh ok.. can't tell from the pictures :) ..

A fellow reefer lent me his 100mm macro lens and I snapped these photos off tonight. I really like this lens and feel like I can improve on my shots quite a bit.

Anyway, my tank has been up since 1/11/2010 and these photos represent growth from about 2 months ago to current. I'm happy with the growth so far and my system is stabilizing nicely. I just finished putting in two Tunze powerheads, which gives my tank perfect flow from top to bottom. Both SPS, Ricordeas, Acans, BTA, etc. are all looking happy!

_MG_7793.jpg

_MG_7808.jpg

_MG_7826.jpg

_MG_7857.jpg

_MG_7830.jpg

_MG_7834.jpg

_MG_7841.jpg

_MG_7843.jpg

_MG_7844.jpg

_MG_7846.jpg

_MG_7854.jpg

_MG_7853.jpg

_MG_7865.jpg

_MG_7869.jpg

_MG_7866.jpg

_MG_7870.jpg

Having issues with ratting noise coming from my new Tunze powerhead.. Roger has been very responsive to my questions. It's a small rattle, but very annoying when observing my tank in a quiet house.. I've tried to tap shaft in a bit with rubber mallet and still the rattling persists. Reluctantly, I may have to send the Tunze back for replacement..

I came home tonight to my Cleaner Shrimp belly up in the sand. I'm not sure if my Fire Shrimp attacked him or if it was just his time to go..

I also snapped a couple photos of my Ricordea Yuma mushroom tonight. I picked this Ricordea up at the swap back in February and wasn't really expecting much. At the time, I didn't even realize it was a Yuma as the container at the swap just said "Ricordea V2" written on the lid. This has become one of my favorites in my tank right now. Take a look.

_MG_7997.jpg

_MG_7998.jpg

Installed Eheim 1262 to replace my Ocean Runner 3500 return pump.

Bubble King Mini 180 on the way to replace my Reef Octopus NWB-150.. Will post up some pics when I get it if people are interested.

Been having some start up issues with the OR pump and it has also started to rattle... I'll be keeping my old skimmer as backup in case the BK ever goes down.

Okay, got the BK Mini 180 today... OMG. First thing I thought to myself is I should have gone for the 160... This thing is a beast!! The riser tube is twice the diameter of my old skimmer riser. Second thought was I didn't realize the Red Dragon mini pumps were as big as they are, considering it's rated to draw only 28 watts (BK Mini 160 is only 16 watts!?!). Then a little bit of panic started setting in wondering if it would fit in my sump. I took rough measurements but still wasn't quite sure. I was going to wait til tomorrow to put the BK Mini 180 in but had to see if it would fit.. Sooo, I yanked my old skimmer out and maneuvered the BK over my sump. It JUST fit into a position where I could slide it down into my sump. Powered her up and....OMG, wow. Took me about 2 mins to adjust wedge pipe and instant thick head of foam. Super quiet as I've read as well. Im mesmerized by the bubble production and efficiency of this modified Askoll. I also noticed the air inlet on top of the silencer sounds like it's sucking air like a vacuum cleaner hose!! Serious Air. Again, wow.

I did notice the needlewheel on mine is black and I've seen posts where Klaus shows a pic of a white needlewheel being CNCed. I wonder if there are different versions or something. Ah well, loving it anyway.

So I just added a tiny 1 inch Gold Bar Maroon Clown to pair with my 4.5 inch female already in my tank. She had been residing in my neon green tip bubble anemone for about a year. Prior to that she hosted in a green anemone in my 29 gallon cube. I've watched her grow for two years and thought it time to add a mate. I wasn't sure how she would take to a small maroon but I wanted to make sure the clown I added was not even close to becoming a female or threat to her. My female is very protective of her nem which is about 12 inches in diameter now. So I went ahead and added the little guy and almost instantly she approached him. This is the first time I've seen her do a sideways shimmy twitch. I knew when she did this, all was good. The little guy is now hosting in the top portion of my nem while she's in the bottom portion. She will occaisionally go up to check on him. I also noticed she will protect and swim between my small maroon and my other larger fish like my tangs when they get near.

Back