Reef nutrition

A tank fit for a Hobbit (planning)

With the return going to the center with a T.

Ooh...

Hobbit Tank Flowm -v2.jpg

I am confused by the "aimed down and back." That implies a diagonal.
I assume you are going for some sort of gyre flow?
Usually when doing that you want flow aimed across the water, so it has least friction for the largest amount of time.
So nozzles would be pointed directly back horizontally.

Pumps are not very efficient for flow, but gyres are, so perhaps it cancels out.

Note that with gyre flows, there is a dead zone in the center. That can be fairly large depending on rockwork and such.

A thought: Have two tubes like that, on in front, one in back, with nozzles pointing toward each other.
You get a turbulent double gyre. Maybe...

Note that holes in tubes like that plug quickly with algae growth if near the lights.
Not going for any specific kind of flow - just sufficient without power heads. The nozzles would be pointed slightly down because otherwise they would shoot water above the surface. I expect the pipe to be partly out of the water so it can be high enough to be hidden.
Another set on the opposite side would be awesome for flow, but I think it would be too visible

Note that there are two fairly hidden spots for pipes. Front, above water line, and back, at the very bottom.

People also hide power heads in the rockwork.

Not with a check valve...

I wouldn’t rely on that. I’d make any pump you want to use for flow to be closed loop. That way if you use a DC you can change the flow patterns without concern for the return pump. And I’d try to pull from the water from bottom of tank and return to the top (think bulkhead in side or bottom if you don’t want to have to hide a pipe in the tank). Also, if you use UV sterilizers, this would be a good place to put them.

Last edited:
Note that there are two fairly hidden spots for pipes. Front, above water line, and back, at the very bottom.

People also hide power heads in the rockwork.
Note that there is no “back of the tank”. This will be a peninsula style tank, visible from both rooms.

I’m curious if there is any difference in humidity with this kind of house, how will fresh air move to/from the tank enclosures?

I’m curious if there is any difference in humidity with this kind of house, how will fresh air move to/from the tank enclosures?
The house has an Energy Recovering Ventilation system. Brings in fresh air but maintains temperature and normalizes humidity. It can be set to run at regular intervals or triggered by high humidity

With this tank being a peninsula, I'd reconsider your original plan (of not running powerheads). I'd consider running 2 pumps, one of each side running parallel to each other, as in your original plan, with the RFGs. Then consider a couple of decent size powerheads at the end of the tank, where there's less flow. Route a couple of holes at the end of your stand so that you can sneak power up to the powerheads.

Other alternative, or in conjunction with your original plan, is to drill holes at the bottom of the tank to feed pipes up for a closed loop system. Just make sure that you have plenty of unions and valves to regulate the flow or when you need to cut flow to the pump for servicing/replacement.

With this tank being a peninsula, I'd reconsider your original plan (of not running powerheads). I'd consider running 2 pumps, one of each side running parallel to each other, as in your original plan, with the RFGs. Then consider a couple of decent size powerheads at the end of the tank, where there's less flow. Route a couple of holes at the end of your stand so that you can sneak power up to the powerheads.

Other alternative, or in conjunction with your original plan, is to drill holes at the bottom of the tank to feed pipes up for a closed loop system. Just make sure that you have plenty of unions and valves to regulate the flow or when you need to cut flow to the pump for servicing/replacement.
If you look at the last picture and ignore the return line, it is a closed loop - without drilling. The pumps would be literally in that position - on a shelf next to the tank. They won’t be visible from the other side.

I’m now leaning towards simply submersing the flow pumps in the tank. Each end of the tank will have a rock wall that will let me hide the pumps.

I am confused. Do you care about looks from the back, or not? Peninsula?

Pumps in the water is probably a good plan. Less noise, and most DC pumps need that anyway for heat dissipation.

Suggest doing some calculations on energy usage and flow rates.
Unless it is really set up as a gyre, closed loop is a big energy hog.

Note that you can technically send the flow from a powehead through a large pipe.
Not nearly enough pressure for pipe / holes like you plan.
But you might be able to put powerheads in one spot, in your shelf-thing, and direct water somewhere else.

Back