Jestersix

A tank fit for a Hobbit (planning)

Very cool!
Interesting idea on the rock wall ends and eel caves.
I will need to remember that....

If needed, you can hide some extra power heads in the end rock walls.

Your fuge does not need to be fully above the sump as pictured.
Only restriction is that the fuge water level needs to be above the sump max water level.

--

Make sure to plan for a dedicated exhaust fan. That big tank in that kind of house probably needs one due to moisture issues.

A rock wall like that with a vortech on each end would make for a really good wave system. Similar to a Tunze wavebox.

Yes it should work as long as you get the frequency correct. You would still want additional flow besides the wave but it would help a lot.

Wave effects might be a big problem with the overflow on one end.

Surge box might be interesting though.
Especially since you could put that up above display tank, in fish room.

Wave effects might be a big problem with the overflow on one end.

Surge box might be interesting though.
Especially since you could put that up above display tank, in fish room.
Yeah, I just read a very interesting and detailed thread about them. I like the idea

Now that Ian mentions it; does anyone have any video of the long gone Aquarium Treasures in SF surge tanks?
They were pretty sweet.
I know only of another reefer that had a surge tank; he’s/was around the Ingleside area. Plumber by trade I believe.

@svreef the whole digging a home into the earth idea is pretty cool. I’m glad that you can make your dream a reality.

I personally want to live in a log cabin on a lake or perhaps Hawaii on a private beach in a shack.

Now that Ian mentions it; does anyone have any video of the long gone Aquarium Treasures in SF surge tanks?
They were pretty sweet.
I know only of another reefer that had a surge tank; he’s/was around the Ingleside area. Plumber by trade I believe.
You are thinking about Lapsan. He owns a bagel shop. Karson and Joe had a surge back when they were in Joe's garage. They would know a bit about it too.

You are thinking about Lapsan. He owns a bagel shop. Karson and Joe had a surge back when they were in Joe's garage. They would know a bit about it too.
Ocean Treasures for sure; remember both rounded peninsula/lagoon type tanks in front of the register?
One of them had a huge shelf rock structure. I think those tanks went to the Cal Academy.
The surge tank was on the wall; clear plexi. We were able to see them filling up and then release the surge.
Never saw Lap's tank.

For surge, I think the trick there is a very large overflow box at the end of the tank.
And overflow itself would be 20" wide, entire end of tank.

Cal academy had a huge surge tank. Like a serious wave. Probably way overkill for a reef tank.

Back