High Tide Aquatics

A tank fit for a Hobbit (planning)

For surge, I think the trick there is a very large overflow box at the end of the tank.
And overflow itself would be 20" wide, entire end of tank.

Cal academy had a huge surge tank. Like a serious wave. Probably way overkill for a reef tank.
Like I said earlier you would need a large area on the return pump side of the sump as it would need to pump to the surge and not run the return pump dry.

Seascape golf course restaurant and bar in Aptos had a surge tank. Pretty cool to see. I haven't been back in about 10 years though.

I’m more concerned about the additional stress on the tank and stand - not the noise.
You should see the disclaimer for the Tunze Wavebox.

So I can certainly see a WAVE putting huge stress on tank and stand.
The way that wave is set up is through resonance, and resonance can be hugely destructive.
That back and forth oscillation will cause fatigue failure.

But a SURGE really should not be so bad at all.
You randomly dump in a bit of water. No worse than a sudden water change.
Water level rises. A bit more pressure on walls, but generally even.
Seems pretty safe.

So I can certainly see a WAVE putting huge stress on tank and stand.
The way that wave is set up is through resonance, and resonance can be hugely destructive.
That back and forth oscillation will cause fatigue failure.

But a SURGE really should not be so bad at all.
You randomly dump in a bit of water. No worse than a sudden water change.
Water level rises. A bit more pressure on walls, but generally even.
Seems pretty safe.
Good point

I agree, avoid any occilations so the momentum doesn't get added. I like what the surge does. Another option is to use wave makers to push water in a circle around the tank for a few minutes, then reverse the flow. It is trying to accomplish a similar goal as the surge tank in creating some randomness or direction changes in the predominant flow pattern.

Maybe a couple gyres which are synced up on the ends could get the flow going if they are on in each direction for a couple minutes before reversing.

I agree, avoid any occilations so the momentum doesn't get added. I like what the surge does. Another option is to use wave makers to push water in a circle around the tank for a few minutes, then reverse the flow. It is trying to accomplish a similar goal as the surge tank in creating some randomness or direction changes in the predominant flow pattern.

Maybe a couple gyres which are synced up on the ends could get the flow going if they are on in each direction for a couple minutes before reversing.
That’s what I do. Or least did, before my SPS mountain rose up to the surface of the water and blocked the flow across the top.

@svreef any updates? I was thinking about how cool your hobbit house is for no particular reason.

Back