Our mission

April 13th meeting featuring Gary Parr

garyparr1000.jpg

BAR is proud to announce aquarist/photographer Gary Parr as our featured guest speaker for April 13th meeting. Come learn some tips and tricks on how to capture your animals and tanks like the pro's do.

GARY PARR BIO:

How’d You Shoot That ?

Your reef aquarium is thriving, the colors are beautiful, and you want some photos to share the fruits of your labor with friends and family. You break out the camera, fire off a few shots, and end up with blue, blurred, and distorted photos, half of which are ruined when the light from your flash unit reflected off of the aquarium glass. Frustration sets in and you ask the inevitable question: How do I get decent shots of my reef?

"How’d You Shoot That?" will show you what equipment you need and don't need, how to get the proper exposure, and what makes for good photo composition. You'll also learn how to photograph fish, get quality full-tank shots, and make interesting coral images, all of the way down to the feeding tentacles.

“How’d You Shoot That?” is presented by Gary Parr, a self-taught advanced-amateur photographer who "specializes" in close-up/macro photography of corals, flowers, and insects. To see some of his photography, browse the galleries at www.gparr.com. Gary has been keeping reef aquariums for more than 10 years and co-hosts, with Christine Pasagelis, the weekly Reef Threads podcast at www.reefthreads.com.

Me too.

I'm assuming Gary will be showing pics. Any chance we could use the room we had for Tony V.? It has a MUCH better projector!!

aqua-nut said:
Me too.

I'm assuming Gary will be showing pics. Any chance we could use the room we had for Tony V.? It has a MUCH better projector!!

Yes, Gary will be showing pics. Sorry, room 722 has been booked.

This guy shot my tanks in Vegas. Super cool guy and takes some great pics. Hell have them on his site and you'll be able to put them on your computer

sarcophyton9-12-10bw.jpg

Four days until I get to do one of my favorite things: Talk about photographing marine animals in aquariums. Aqua-nut, you'll have to educate me. I wasn't aware that there was another camera brand option. ;) Tankguy, it'll be good to see you again. I really enjoyed that evening photographing your tanks in Vegas. I hope lots of people can make it Saturday.
Gary

Look forward to meeting you, Gary! Photography is one of my other passions and I'd like to pick your brain about composition and PP because I generally tend to stay away from PP but it's about time I pick up the skill!

+10 to that, patchin.

That was one of those talks where I wish we could see the images on a big screen TV to really see the detail Gary was talking about. Don't get me wrong, that room has a very nice projector, it's just not as good as the computer monitor or a high end TV.

I'm all inspired to take some pics of my rock scape (all that's in the tank right now) tonight! Time to start saving up for one of those fine $1K macro lenses!!

Back