Reef nutrition

Beer Brewing!

Anyone brew beer? I visited that brewing store next to green marine (which is no longer closing btw) I'm ready to brew some beer. I especially like the vibe of the store, they sold me a $20 book and told me to come back when I'm done reading up on it :).

Hell yes.
Talk to Homer there.
They have kits with all the stuff or you can mix and match. Don't forget the yeast in the fridge.

By kit I meant the ingredients. They also have kits with the equipment. And unless you want your house to smell like wort get a bayou cooker and do it outside!

Been a while. Used to do beer and hard cider.

Started out with extracts and went to all grain.

What kind of beer you gonna make?

I used to do a lot of brewing- 20+ batches. it's not that hard, I don't think you need to read the whole book, just follow the instructions. But there is 1 instruction not mentioned- that is to make sure you're enjoying a couple of cold beers when you start to make the wort. :)

Sounds like a plan....brewing beer...do a IPA one :)

Not to sidetrack the topic but anyone here know where to get Pliny the younger? In tap or bottle? Thanks!

My husband got his start from SF Brewcraft five years ago. I bought him the starter kit that they had, and the brewing class was free.

Bobby G's pizza has usually has Pliny the elder and had Pliny the younger during SF Beer Week last year. (This year's beer week is on now! San Francisco Beer Week 2011) I've also had it at Pacific Coast Brewing as their guest tap. You could call Russian River and ask them. They seem pretty open about revealing locations where it is legitimately on tap--yes there are places that have grey market Pliny that aren't supposed to have it due to Russian River's stringent shipping requirements. Same deal with most of Stone's ales.

Mmm, now I want a beer.

I just noticed that on the main page of the SF Beer Week site that Bobby G's Pizza in Berkeley will be pouring Pliny the Younger on Friday @ 3pm (2/18).

Thanks for the tip bondolo...can't make it tomorrow due to work..hehe. I was checking russian river's site and they do list all the locations where they distribute..but the younger is very limited. I wonder if they ship?

I did get a case of Ballast Point's Sculpin today at BevMo..lol. Now I can look forward of working tomorrow :bigsmile:

Sounds awesome! I'll probably have to do it inside, but I live alone so I wont mind. The neighbors already think I'm growing because of all the aquarium lights that got shipped in, don't need anything brewing outside also haha(apartments). I think I'll start out with some type of pale ale, I wont get started until the 4th so I have plenty of time to read.

Didn't mean to scare you about indoor brewing there!
Bill is absolutely so correct you must drink beer while brewing. A must. Takes a while so plan an afternoon. Vodka in the airlock!!

Oh yeah one last thing. If you want to temp control your fermentation take a brute, put in the carboy, add a bunch of water, and drop in a spare heater. Throw a towel over it and off it goes.

Don't aerate your wort when it's hot.

Get a big roll of copper refrigeration tubing to make a cooling coil for bringing your wort temps down quickly.

Don't get a speeding ticket with "grow lights" and vacuum packed hop cones in the back of your car.

:D

mavjoy said:
Thanks for the tip bondolo...can't make it tomorrow due to work..hehe. I was checking russian river's site and they do list all the locations where they distribute..but the younger is very limited. I wonder if they ship?
Do you know if the Russian River brew pub has any in stock?

mavjoy said:
Do you know if the Russian River brew pub has any in stock?

My brother in law brews his own beer. I know that it's an extensive process and if you don't get the yeast amount correctly, you can have some tangy beer! It is delicious though when it is made correctly. Best of luck! :)

I went to the key tapping event at Bobby G's on Friday. There was a 45 minute line up at 3pm for 10oz glasses of Pliny the Younger. The entire keg was gone in 58 minutes. I managed to get the second to last glass (!). The talk in the lineup was that the Russian River brew pub was "out" as of Thursday night. This was the shortest month for Pliny the Younger since it's introduction.

It was quite delicious. Sticky with hoppiness. The bitterness wasn't ridiculous (at least to me). In spite of the 10.75% ABV I think the sugars are fairly high which balances out the hoppy bitterness.

Back