Our mission

coral dip and bleaching

I got some frags from a buddy that went to the bar frag swap.. I had read about the providone dip so wanted to try it... after the dip corals lost all color to the point that they looked clear.. On 2 of them polyps were out right away and color has been coming back slowly.. On the other (acro) no color and no PE since the frag swap.... does this bleaching always happen with this dip? Do you guys use this product often? The same bleaching happend to the other corals my friend got also... thanks for your help..

I dip all the time and haven't had anything lose color. Did you possibly dip too long or was the solution too concentrated?

First off how strong did you make the dip? (what color was the water) If you make it too strong it can have adverse affects, also how long did you leave them in? I know from personal experience if you leave them in... say overnight... they can pretty much die.

Those questions being answered montiporas can often lose color very easily with too much of a dip, acroporas I've not known them to do so as badly, but they can bleach out a little if you do it too strong/too long. I'd let them sit in your tank for a while, if there's life left they'll come back.

I hope you used tank water to make the dip and not freshwater!

One problem with frag swap corals is that all the frags come from different tanks with different water params, so it's hard to properly acclimate them (if you are lazy) in one batch.

I just took all my frags, put them in a container and mixed up all their water, and poured some of the dip in. Left it for 20 mins, then stuck them all into my QT tank. I THINK they are all alive. They will live there for a week or three.

V

i am having this issue with an acro that i got from Serg, and i measured the dip per the instructions, with saltwater, and did a freshwater rinse after the time was up. my acro looks like its dead all bleached, so i put it in the lower part of my tank, and i think there might be a spot left alive, so hopefully it wont die. the rest of the corals reacted fine since the dip. it took a few days, but i can see them feeding now, so thats good. next, hopefully the color will come back.

acro's don't really like FW dips (even rinses), I'd leave that out next time.

hah, I should be working :) Who wants to make banners when you can do this instead?

It's hard having creativity forced upon you; with deadlines; and you just don't feel creative :(

I used 1 liter of tank water for 3ml of providone for 25min.. Corals where green birds nest, green picilopora and a unknown acro... all got bleached but have gain color exept for the acro.... it's not doing so well at the moment.

when you put them your tank, did you put them on a frag shelf or high up in the water column or is your lighting significantly stronger than your buddies? Might not have anything to do with the dip, but the tank change/lighting change.

Cheers,

Josh

How well did they maintain their temp during transport from the swap? How long did they sit in the bag? How long prior to the swap where they packed up? So many factors in why they wouldn't do well, and ones that are normal for swaps IME/IMO.

i think you are right. given the amount of time they were out of a heated and lit tank, that probably did a number on them, not to mention being put in a foreign tank after being dipped. i put mine up too high in the tank i think, and thats what caused it, but it LOOKS like it still has a splotch of color at the base, so ive moved it down, and pray it works!

Hayward to my area is 1.5hr... I floated the bags for 1/2hr used tank water to mix up dip . Rinsed with reg tank water then placed all frags on the very bottom of tank.. Bleaching was very noticable after the dip... I ran only my actinics the rest of the night.. When you guys mix your dip do you measure or go by the eye..? The color of my dip was a light brownish color..

[quote author=DML08 link=topic=4320.msg52386#msg52386 date=1218740720]
Hayward to my area is 1.5hr... I floated the bags for 1/2hr used tank water to mix up dip . Rinsed with reg tank water then placed all frags on the very bottom of tank.. Bleaching was very noticable after the dip... I ran only my actinics the rest of the night.. When you guys mix your dip do you measure or go by the eye..? The color of my dip was a light brownish color..
[/quote]

huh, bummer, well unless you are noticing tissue loss, they should regain color over time.

I used to dip by the book, but now I just add a drops and eye ball it. I go on the strong side, like three bags of Lipton tea in 6oz coffee cup color.

I'm more of a shock'n awe dipper.

I mix with just RO/DI water at room temp, dark dark red

I drop the corals in and right away I start blasting with a turkey baster, I mean really knocking around the coral (unless they are fragile), after 5mins of this, I place them in clean RO/DI water and blast them more to rinse and knock off bugs, I use a white bucket when I do this, makes it easy to see if anything is coming off.

I then place them in QT for observation. If the coral looks health and clean after 24hrs, I repeat the shock and awe, RO/DI rinse and place them right in my tank.

My logic is this: The iodine probably won't kill the evil critters, but it will shock them (so go strong), at which point when they get blasted with the turkey baster they come off. I use RO/DI water because it will cause osmotic irritation (for both the coral and critters), which might shock them further, or help slime them off.

I do this over a short period of time so not to over stress the coral, because 25+ mins of what I do would probably kill everything.

Cheers,

Josh

[quote author=MontanaBay link=topic=4320.msg52392#msg52392 date=1218742062]
[quote author=DML08 link=topic=4320.msg52386#msg52386 date=1218740720]
[/quote]

huh, bummer, well unless you are noticing tissue loss, they should regain color over time.

I used to dip by the book, but now I just add a drops and eye ball it. I go on the strong side, like three bags of Lipton tea in 6oz coffee cup color.

I'm more of a shock'n awe dipper.

I mix with just RO/DI water at room temp, dark dark red

I drop the corals in and right away I start blasting with a turkey baster, I mean really knocking around the coral (unless they are fragile), after 5mins of this, I place them in clean RO/DI water and blast them more to rinse and knock off bugs, I use a white bucket when I do this, makes it easy to see if anything is coming off.

I then place them in QT for observation. If the coral looks health and clean after 24hrs, I repeat the shock and awe, RO/DI rinse and place them right in my tank.

My logic is this: The iodine probably won't kill the evil critters, but it will shock them (so go strong), at which point when they get blasted with the turkey baster they come off. I use RO/DI water because it will cause osmotic irritation (for both the coral and critters), which might shock them further, or help slime them off.

I do this over a short period of time so not to over stress the coral, because 25+ mins of what I do would probably kill everything.

Cheers,

Josh

[/quote]

You are not supposed to do freshwater with iodine to dip your coral. I no longer do freshwater dips even on zoanthids anymore. It stresses them too much.

What I usually do is simply dip the corals in the water they came in, I mean why stress them out with potential vastly different parameters AND povidone.

When I mix up some dip I do go by eye, I usually aim for a black tea color, where it's quite a bit dark brown yet you can still see the frags inside.

Back