Kessil

Denzil's 40B with 20L Sump-Fuge

Kensington Reefer said:
What if instead...
Just a mated pair of clowns and no 'frichi

Others might have differing experiences, but IME CB clowns tend to be social creatures. I've heard multiple anecdotes of solitary CB clowns sulking and hiding until a mate was added. Just my 2 cents. :)

There are a few things that I'm already looking into since my build has changed. Here's what I'm considering below:

Overflow: Glass-holes 1500 gph kit
Return pump: several choices here... I'm guesstimating that if I build my stand right, I'll only be looking at around 3' of head loss with 16" from the 40B DT, 12" from the 20L fuge-sump, and give or take 8" for the three 45 degree elbows and piping. My return pump choices are below based on the 20 times the volumetric capacity of the tank... looking at 800 gph (including effective head loss).
$187, Eheim 1262, 900 gph, 80W | $170, Eheim Compact+ 5000, 1320 gph, 78W | $80, Lifegard Quiet One Pro 4000, 991 gph, 65W | $135, Lifegard Quiet One Pro 5000, 1400 gph, 115W | $100, Maxi-Jet Model 4500, 1175 gph, 58W | $112, Maxi-Jet Model 5500, 1384 gph, 75W | $95, Danner Mag-Drive Supreme Classic Model 9.5, 950 gph, 93W | $130, Danner Mag-Drive Supreme Classic Model 12, 1200 gph, 110W | $158, Sicce 4.0, 951 gph, 85W | $190, Sicce 5.0, 1321 gph, 105W | $77, Taam Rio 17 Hyper Flow, 1090 pgh, 55W | $100, Taam Rio 20 Hyper Flow, 1290 gph, 60W
Skimmer:
I think I'm going to go with Brandie's Coralife 125g for now but it needs a replacement skimmer pump. I'll probably give Brandie some money for her skimmer and then buy a skimmer pump but I'm not entirely sure what's out there. It looks like a Sedra and other brands are what fits for this skimmer. I also came across a couple Euro Reef skimmers on CL and eBay... keeping my eyes peeled.

That's about all for now. I think I'll have to pick up some additional base rock and live sand as well. I do have a question though... does the gph on my skimmer pump have to be close to what the return pump (including effective head loss) is pushing towards the DT?

Eheim for the win. Don't need that much turn over through sumo really tho. 5-10x per hour is plenty IMO. Rate on slimmer don't mattering, just right amount for that skimmer

Coral reefer said:
Eheim for the win. Don't need that much turn over through sumo really tho. 5-10x per hour is plenty IMO. Rate on slimmer don't mattering, just right amount for that skimmer

So you're saying that 200 to 400 gph is plenty? I'm definitely going to run a mixed reef but I don't think I'll be doing SPS any time soon. However, I want to have the option to do so if I do change my mind.

As far as the skimmer goes, any replacement Sedra pump will do then?

Yes, that turnover is fine IMO, if you need more flow there are always powerheads. I'd try toget the same sedra pump, there are a few different sizes. Probably a 3500

What do you guys think about this? Think it's a fair price? I was only interested in picking it up if I can negotiate the price down further.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/fod/3242579206.html

It's ok. Can't tell for sure what pump that is or what condition it and the impeller may be in. Also, seems like it may take up a lot I space and you have to feed it with the drain from the display or another pump.

Denzil,

You might want to post on the "buy thread" a skimmer with your dimensions. Since you are building a stand, that affords you a larger skimmer. May I suggest a Reef Octopus for your budget ?

Yeah, I was looking at those but I haven't read any overly convincing threads about skimmers. I hear from Brandie that the now-defunct Euro-Reef skimmers are great and I understand that it has now moved on as Reef Dynamics which looks to sell some awesome skimmers just like the originals.

In all honesty, it doesn't seem like there's too much science to the functionality of the skimmer. I imagine the cone shaped ones are pretty efficient since the lightest materials will always remain above others and will get skimmed. Either way, I think I could potentially spend a lot of money on a skimmer if I'm not careful, LoL.

Since I got a larger tank, I'm going to have to reassess my livestock plans. Still think my original plans of a Clown, Firefish, and Sixline are still too much?

denzil said:
Since I got a larger tank, I'm going to have to reassess my livestock plans. Still think my original plans of a Clown, Firefish, and Sixline are still too much?

...not if you plan on doing no water changes. :D

gimmito said:
denzil said:

...not if you plan on doing no water changes. :D
Haha! You'll eat those words up if I make it work! ;)
Kensington Reefer said:
How about:
Clown pair, firefish pair, six line wrasse, yellowtail blue damsel (single)
I like it! I'm thinking Premium Picasso or Black Ice Snowflake, Helfrichi, and the rest above.

I picked up a used Euro-Reef RS80 for $25 from a new LFS but without the pump. I know the pump that comes with it is the Sedra 3500 KSP-3500A but I'm wondering if I should pick up something different. I see that the Reef Dynamics INS80 uses an EcoPlus 633 so I'm wondering if I can just pick that up instead since it's cheaper. I did note that both pumps are stated to be modified to fit both of these skimmers.

Any other suggestions on the skimmer pump?

denzil said:

Stocking level seems fine to me, but sixlines can be aggressive.
My opinion for small/medium tanks is to stick with all peaceful fish, since they are cramped.

Suggest : Clown + firefish + Spotted (pajama) Cardinalfish + Orange Lined Cardinalfish

Back