Euphyllia's 34 Gallon Red Sea Max

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Euphyllia, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

OK. I'll start a tank thread for it right now. BTW, THIS IS THE 100TH POST! YAY! :D

2. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Would transferring my pom-pom crabs from the 14g into the 34g be OK since they would be in a tank with anemones? They don't have any Pom-Poms so I'm worried they might take clippings of the anemones and injure them.

3. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

I FOUND SOME BRISTLE WORMS! AHHH! OMG! :(
    But then I murdered them! :)

4. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

bristle worms aren't all bad. they are an effective component to your CUC.

5. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Wow... the last post in this was like 8 months ago... I fail at keeping this updated... :(
    Anyways... I guess I should start again. After reading all 11 pages of this I realize how ignorant and stupid I acted when I entered the hobby... I hope I'm not as bad now... :bigsmile:
    Anyways... here's a picture of the tank currently! :)
    I know it looks bad... but I fixed it up where it looks less crowded and you can now see everything! :D

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_2494_0.JPG

6. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

My clowns were just enjoying a nice after-dark snack of freshly hatched copepods. Now I know why I never see copepods in my tank anymore! :D

7. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Freshly hatched? Please explain :) Did you get cysts? You talking artemia?

8. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

No, I mean freshly hatched. I looked over at my tank after the lights had been off for 3 hours and I saw the fish "eating" water. I was curious so I went over there and turned the pumps off and there were hundreds of tiny copepods or something floating in the water while my fish were rapidly eating them up. There were lots of them coming out from a hole under a rock. I'm pretty sure they were copepods.

9. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

do you have shrimp in that take? Could have spawned. I had peppermints that would periodically "feed" my tank.

10. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

I do have a cleaner shrimp, but he is a bachelor. :)

11. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

And how did you arrive at they were freshly hatched? I work with copepods in my job and I can't tell the difference between a copepidite that just hatched and one that is a week old. They don't hatch in batches Matthew. The females carry around eggs until they hatch and it's doubtful you have a a bunch on the same cycle. Most likely they are just copepods, not freshly hatched, but normal size.

You say things as if they are a fact... then follow them up later with
    so it's an assumption, not a fact!

12. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Assumption is correct. They were much smaller than copepods which is why I thought they may be freshly hatched copepods. If they aren't copepods what do you think they were?

13. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

14. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

+1,000,000

15. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

You do know they range from like 10µl to like 2000µl depending on species? Do you know what 10µl looks like? can you even see 10µl?

with ~10,000 species of copepods it's doubtful you've even seen 9,990 of them ;)

16. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

I'm pretty sure that Matthew has special ones in his tank though :D

17. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

I think all of the special ones were too special to not be eaten by fish. :bigsmile:

18. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

19. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

/resist

20. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President