Fritz salt

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry' started by Edgar Sandoval, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

IO is rated for sg of 1.022

1.5lb will make 5g of 1.022sg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coral reefer likes this.
  2. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I'm not entirely sure but I remember the grains of salt being coarser in the IO. The Fritz salt is very fine. Also salt is the primary portion of the mix but it is a mix of a bunch of stuff. I wonder if IO has more of that other stuff.

3. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Not sure, but I've always used IO and haven't looked back. I still remember the behind the scene tour at Steinhart where there were boatloads of IO in huge bags (each one was like a pallet by itself). They mix their own salt there now but still keep IO on hand just in case it's needed.

Couple of old pics from the Steinhart tour back in 2009.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  4. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Ok, I just cleaned out my 58 gallon barrel that I store my SW in. There was quite a bit of "stuff" on the sides that I had to clean off. Most of it would come off by simply rinsing but a little needed to be scrubbed.
    IMG_4512.JPG
    Before

IMG_4515.JPG
    After

I then filled it with 50 gallons and it took 27 cups of salt to reach 1.026. Not too far off from their 1/2 cup per gallon recommendation. The alkalinity tested at 8.2 dKH. Lets see if it stays that way.

fishdoctor and yellojello like this.
  5. yellojello

yellojello Supporting Member

@Flagg37 how was the Alk stability this time?

6. yellojello

Never thought about it but just saw on another thread. Since I have IO and Fritz in hand, I will try to mix both next water change. About 75/25 Fritz/IO. IO will boost Alk a bit (was getting 7.8-8.0 Fritz) and lower high CA and Mag from Fritz. Wonder if it will help with the Alk storage stability too.

7. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

How could you commit such blasphemy. Your mixing container will blow up from this unholy union.

8. RandyC

RandyC Guest

I thought I'd try switching out to fritz because IORC was making my alk swing too much during a large WC. So I mixed up my first batch a few days ago. After an hour, mix was at 8.4 dKh, by the next day it had definitely precipated and went down to 6.9.

Washing the bucket now and everything is coated with off white powder.

Mixing bucket was washed down with a hose before making the batch, but no scrubbing, power washing or vinegar. Going to mix another bucket now after a power wash and vinegar bath.

We need to find what the catalyst is because this is annoying.

9. yellojello

Just did 18 gallon mix. 7 cups Fritz, 2.25 cups IO.

Salinity 1.0255-1.026 (Refractometer and Milwaukee). Alk 8.5 (Hanna). Ca 430-440 (Salifert). Mag 1420-1440 (Salifert) ... shut off pump, brute lid on, will check back storage results on Monday.

10. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

Think you need to keep the water circulating?

11. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I had recirculated my previous batch where the alk dropped so this batch has not been circulated. I still need to check the alk since it's been sitting for a month now. I haven't noticed any of the white buildup on the container this time either.

12. RandyC

RandyC Guest

Yeah. Getting real frustrated with fritz. Bucket was power washed and soaked in ammonia to get rid of any residual precipitation and 24 hours later after mixing a new bucket, I'm at 6.6 dKh. TDS of water was 0. Temp was a little on the warm side 80ish because it was a hot day yesterday and my garage gets real hot.

What to do?

fishdoctor likes this.
  13. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

So I wonder with that alk drop occur if you used the water immediately? Or is it something about the storage of it that causes the precipitation?

Either way, I do appreciate people talking about this so I can stay away from it until things get worked out.

14. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

I just live with it. Make smaller batches and use soon after. I still like how clean it mixes. I haven't seen that crude build up in my mixing station and have now gone through 4 boxes.

15. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

It's been a little over a month since I first mixed this batch up and There's about 40% left. When first mixed it read at 8.2 dkh and I just tested it now at 5.1 and 5.3 (I tested it twice to make sure). This was from a clean barrel and I don't see any visible buildup on the walls of the barrel so I'm not sure where it's going. It's hard to say if this is going on in the tank and our methods of dosing is just masking it.

16. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

I never circulate my SW after mix. Seems ok so far lol

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

17. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I've tried it with and without circulation and it didn't make a difference with the alk dropping.

18. Edgar Sandoval

Edgar Sandoval Supporting Member

Time to find a new Salt

19. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

How about.....

Oh wait, I don't need to cuz I don't do water changes!

tankguy and Edgar Sandoval like this.
  20. Edgar Sandoval

Edgar Sandoval Supporting Member

Lucky u