I'd ask my friends to come and see, An Anemone garden with me...

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Bruce Spiegelman, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

That’s really funny. Aren’t the holes in the basket bigger than the holes in the gutter guard stuff?

2. About the same, but the Nems don't even try. The only thing I can think of is the smooth acrylic fools them where the rougher plastic mesh feels more like rock crevasses.

3. jorahx4

jorahx4 Supporting Member

mine never moved around in my makeshift plastic box. once i put them in the acrylic box one half was moving around every time i left even the slightest cap over the top (to let the water clean the surface from buildup)

4. To answer the question -- small holes in a Nem box are also not proof against a Nems travel plans. Three made it through overnight. IMG_5907.JPG IMG_5911.JPG

Wyatt Naschke and JVU like this.
  5. jorahx4

What size holes? Do you know what causes yours to move around so much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Holes are about the size of a pencil eraser. There's 30 Nems in the tank and only a couple seem to be on the move. It's always hard to say what makes any one Nem move. Looking for more/less fight or flow is a good guess. Also, Nems are used to feeling secure with their foot in a crevasses. Whey they are in a box I suspect they are more stressed than usual simply because of that. Also, these have been moved multiple times by me from one tank to another and then in and out of boxes over the last 2 weeks and I'm sure that's a factor .

JVU likes this.
  7. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Webmaster

so those nem boxes are no good?

8. They seem to be fine for med t large Nems -- not small ones though.

9. jorahx4

Guess you'll have to fatten them up!

10. JVU

JVU Supporting Member

Ah, the age-old strategy to fatten them up so they can’t fit through the bars in the cell anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Webmaster

time to order a new baby nem cages!

12. Just did. Swapping the small Nems to pond baskets.

For anyone keeping track of success and/or failure I've switched feeding from LRS to med. TDO pellets. Easier to control portion size and less messy to get right to the oral disc or close.

13. jorahx4

i was unaware anemones would accept pellets. thanks for the update!

14. jepoy

jepoy Supporting Member

Me neither. I’ve never fed my nem but since I got some sample TDO pellets at CFM, I’ll try feeding that to my nem tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. Nems will eat most anything. TDO pellets are clean and healthy. I've fed my rainbows LPS pellets and TDO for a few years now. I also got a hold of Chad at Reef Nutrition and he's been feeding his TDO exclusively for years and if its good enough for him it's good enough for me. The only traditional fish or Nem "food" I won't feed them is silversides.

Coral reefer likes this.
  16. Travel plans

17. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

When I actively fed nems, I bought frozen shrimp, shaved pieces off and fed them that.

18. Frozen shrimp are pretty easy to feed as well, but pellets are easier to prepare :)

19. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I just stick a whole frozen cube of mysis near the mouth until they grab it.

20. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

Anemone Brain Freeze

Mozby's Reef likes this.