Interesting post from Walt about Tonga

Discussion in 'Other Reef Talk' started by Thales, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Thales

Thales Past President

2. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Not to name any names, but I seem to recall a particular LFS owner who had pictures similar to what is mentioned here. Same guy? Or another?

Also is Walt truly trying to be the good guy? Or just make himself sound like the good guy? Being as I really don't know him or his business.

3. Roc

Roc Guest

whose Walt?

4. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Can I get a frag of PM Rich? Which one it it that you have?.....

I saw that on the .org forum this morning, and while I agree with his idea AFA making the transition into AC liverock, I'd imagine the guy has enough skrill to fund an AC venture. What's the worst that can happen? Write it off as a loss? And if the direct flights to and from Tonga get canceled, what's he gonna use a boat? Last time I looked at the world Tonga is an island pretty far away from any other ports, and airports.

He might be better off greasing the palms of our friendly neighbors to the south and avoiding shipping costs, and problems.

Oh well, it's another can-o-worms conversation, and I hope it doesn't wind up being a mud slinging contest, that is NOT what is needed right now if there is to be any reform.

5. tuberider

tuberider Guest

[quote author=Roc link=topic=4168.msg49890#msg49890 date=1216942503]
    whose Walt?
    [/quote]Walt Smith, he looks like Dr. Quest from Johnny Quest.

Walt is a major player, and has been around forever, I have old TFH mags from the early '80s with his ads in there, Dr. Quest lookin and all.

waltsmith.com

6. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4168.msg49891#msg49891 date=1216942765]
    what's he gonna use a boat?
    [/quote]

Hey tankers have ballasts that get filled with water, stick all the rocks there, they can stay live their entire trip! :D

7. tuberider

tuberider Guest

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4168.msg49893#msg49893 date=1216943314]
    [quote author=tuberider link=topic=4168.msg49891#msg49891 date=1216942765]
    what's he gonna use a boat?
    [/quote]

Hey tankers have ballasts that get filled with water, stick all the rocks there, they can stay live their entire trip! :D

[/quote]I hear you can get a deal on the Cosco Busan right now. Can you cook rock in a ballast, or are they just used to fire bulbs?

8. mark_s

mark_s Guest

Thanks for the link. A very interesting read! There certainly seems to be a lot of the story untold, but if what Walt is saying is true, I'm quite impressed with his efforts. Isn't his company insulated from this change since they already have AC in full production? It seems he is trying to help out the other companies by trying to sway the government ban.

9. Thales

Thales Past President

[quote author=mark_s link=topic=4168.msg49903#msg49903 date=1216946871]
    Thanks for the link. A very interesting read! There certainly seems to be a lot of the story untold, but if what Walt is saying is true, I'm quite impressed with his efforts. Isn't his company insulated from this change since they already have AC in full production? It seems he is trying to help out the other companies by trying to sway the government ban.
    [/quote]

Make sure you take anything like this with a bag of salt. They players all seem to skew things to make them look good.
    I am not sure what his Fiji AC production has to do with Tonga, but it certainly would not insulate him because its two different countries.
    Its interesting that this comes up this week because last week I was out of town giving a talk on what made the Tonga project that Walt mentions not work out.

10. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Geez, so why don't you give us a talk/post here on what made the Tonga project not work?

:D

11. hiepatitis

hiepatitis Guest

Very interesting. I wonder how things are gonna pan out in Tonga. I always thought their corals were not so great and I don't care much for the live rock.

I would like to give Walt the benefit of the doubt and say that he's trying to do the right thing. There are people in the business who do it because they love it and not because they want money.

12. hiepatitis

hiepatitis Guest

Looks like Eddie responded to Walts comments on RC.

13. Thales

Thales Past President

I am sure that will get deleted soon. Until then, let the he said she said begin!

14. Thales

Thales Past President

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=4168.msg49911#msg49911 date=1216952113]
    Geez, so why don't you give us a talk/post here on what made the Tonga project not work?

:D
    [/quote]book it! No way am I going to gel into any depth on writing!

15. mark_s

mark_s Guest

Since we have Walt's comment on here, isn't it only fair to put the other side? If mods disagree, please remove.

16. Thales

Thales Past President

thanks Mark - I am posting from my phone :D

I think both of those posts are filled with spin. Perhaps the other BAR member who was involved with the project will chime in.

17. mark_s

mark_s Guest

[quote author=Thales link=topic=4168.msg50028#msg50028 date=1217024482]
    I think both of those posts are filled with spin. Perhaps the other BAR member who was involved with the project will chime in.
    [/quote]Yes, I think you are correct. It would be nice to hear the actual truth about Tonga, but its very unlikely that will happen.
    All I'm interested in knowing is which AquaCulture operation I should or should not be supporting. We vote with our $$, so would be nice to know.

18. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Holy mudslinging batman. Interesting stuff in both of those posts.

19. I dont entirely remember those pics but when I saw them, I dont remember anything that was glaringly wrong, so im hoping others could chime in. I do remember Eddie holding up a very big piece of millepora but I dont remember it exceeding any size limit. I also know others, including Walt, have accused Eddie of using a crowbar and again, I dont see what is wrong with this per se. A crowbar isnt necessary but I can see how it would make ones jobs easier. So again, I know Eddie has been criminalized for those pics but I dont remember seeing anything wrong.

Can others who remember chime in?

20. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

[quote author=mark_s link=topic=4168.msg50029#msg50029 date=1217025167]Yes, I think you are correct. It would be nice to hear the actual truth about Tonga, but its very unlikely that will happen.[/quote]

That's what I figure. Too much behind the scenes dirt. Not worth the effort to dig through all the BS to try to find out the real story. So many things in that industry are not what they seem. Too many people blowing smoke and acting out of self interest and self delusion.

Might be best to shut it all down and let DBTC supply the hobby.