Our mission

Just for fun - what was the most stupid thing you ever tried in this hobby?

Apon

Supporting Member
I once wanted to see what the mantle of my one of my big clams felt like, so I touched it.(while it was acclimating)....and it squirted me in the face with surprising amount of water! It had great aim too. A friend of mine was there too and she got a good laugh.

Hmm... I just posted in blink*'s thread.... and I guess this would be my lamest move.

I had a good sized yellow and red frogfish that I got from James at Aquascene. He was the original Mr. Ugly, and I had him for about a year in my first reef tank. Took about 6 weeks before he would start eating. Some time after that, he came down with ich which I was able to cure with 8 weeks of hypo.

Anyway, I had the great idea to make his tank "nicer" by adding some more live rock. The tank was a 37 tall which has a horrible footprint for aquascaping. I had a hard time getting the rocks to fit in properly and ended up kicking up a bunch of sand. He seemed not to mind the sandstorm, but a day or so later, he did that "sudden angler death" thing with the frantic barrel rolls and loops and then he was gone :(

When I moved my fish to a new tank my foxface (now dead.. :( *RIP*) he decided to do one of those laying on it's side convulsions which caused him to pop out of the tank... well I decided to save him the 5 foot drop to the floor by catching him! He decided that he was going to lessen the impact of the fall by landing on it's back (top side)... and hell for good measure if he landed with his venomous spines out it'd be perfect!

Well he did, my hand was the landing pad... and I dropped him anyways after he poked me!

Yeah it hurt.

I had a similar one as Arnold, I was inspecting a zoo rock for any nasties and went to pick at something and got shot square in the eye. The most difficult was trying to explain to my wife that i hadnt been injured at work, and that the bloodshot and swolen eye was from some zoo juice.

My second lamest move...

Siphoning into a 5 gallon bucket for a water change... again on my original 37g. To keep from having to restart the siphon for each bucket of water, I stuck both ends of the hose into the tank and closed the lid on it before going to dump the bucket.

Came back to siphon the next bucket and wondered why there was water all over the floor. Then I wondered if I needed to panic because the multiple outlet strip was sitting in a puddle of water making smoke and sizzling noises :(

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2426.msg24743#msg24743 date=1190346682]... and hell for good measure if he landed with his venomous spines out it'd be perfect![/quote]

Yeowch!

Hmmm....let's see getting squirted by a clam when I took out of the water to inspect it and then acclimate it. Mushrooms squirt water when you try getting them off the rock too <blech>

Floods are bad
Overfilling the system with 150 gallons - lucky it was aged, mixed and heated water.
Leaving the DI topping of a QT for a day and a half. Lucky there was nothing in the tank and lucky that the water drained through the hole in the floor.

put a beautiful acropora coral RIGHT in front of a 800gph powerhead so that my flame angel wouldn't pick at it... tissue tore right off in a few days, and the flame angel never got anywhere near it! HAH! =(

more then once i have fragged xenia and stuck it to a rock with a rubber band. snapped the rubber band to hard and hit me square in the eye. safety glasses

using a mini spear gun that I built to try and spear a damsel fish ... and then my wife came home and caught me in the act :D :D its kinds like that comercial "gotta get away ?? :D

Back