Jestersix

Leemar Starphire 290

maybe the wrasse needs more food. anyways I guess I will look for a orange cap in the future.

Yeah, it's strange. Although food is not the issue. This tank is very well fed, twice a day. I'm thinking of putting the clam back in, just to see if he does it again.

I'm happy to give you a frag if you are interested in the cap. It's growing very well, and is a beautiful bright orange. I trim it often because it is blocking light from other corals at times.

Great videos. TFS. Don't mean to hijack your thread, but can you tell me how you decide about coral placement? Is it just SPS high / softies low, and what looks good where? Or do you take chemical warfare into account?

Great videos. TFS. Don't mean to hijack your thread, but can you tell me how you decide about coral placement? Is it just SPS high / softies low, and what looks good where? Or do you take chemical warfare into account?

Hi DeeAnn,

That is a great question. I wish I had all the answers for that. My approach has changed many times over the years. It has REALLY changed in the past year and a half when I moved over to the SPS side of things.

I start with my best guess as to where the coral will be the happiest. The right flow, the right light and the right neighbors. Sometimes ya just gotta let it be for a few weeks before you make it the official spot for that coral. Sometimes it takes months to figure out what the coral is going to do. I had a few growing and seemingly doing well, only to find that the further away from the light it grew, the more beautiful it bacame.......pointing out that maybe it needs to be further away from the lights. Others grow really well, but don't hold a nice color. This can mean it is getting too much, or too little light. Unfortunately this can happen for many reasons.....you can blame the light if you know your tank params are good.

Too much flow can really bother some corals, and others will thrive with great flow. Again, I just watch them and move them around until I find a happy place.

Now that the tank is getting full, I search for corals that will thrive in the places that I have left. I am always looking at the tank and finding a space for new coral. I just bought a new Torte that I put under very high lighting. Sitting approx 8" under water with a Kessil A350 directly above it 11" above the water. It has really colored up with the high lighting. I had a yellow Tenuos that was bleached out from the high light, so I moved it lower and it has fully recovered. Trial and error.

I have made some horrible decisions about placement as well. I put three encrusting Monti's on the same rock, about 6" apart. All three have grown into one another and it's quite a war going on. I also have to worry about them overtaking the other coral on the rock. They are very beautiful, but that was not a wise choice.

As for chemical warfare........I'm not too familar with it. I can't say I have ever experienced it. I generally just try to keep the coral from touching one another......this means giving it some space to grow into. There are some super aggressive corals that can really cause damage if put too close to other coral. Sometimes you learn which ones the hard way......after it's attacked your coral.

Always take into consideration future growth. I have a tall tank, so I try not to stack the coral directly above each other. So as the coral grow, the lower corals will still get some light. Eventually that may be impossible with large colonies, but that is a problem I would LOVE to have. ;)

Anyway, sites like LiveAquaria can give you insight into what kind of light and flow a coral might like. However JUST as important is to keep up on your tank parameters. Corals won't thrive without a fairly stable enviornment, even when placed in the perfect spot.

I'm so sorry for such a long response. Ha! Hope that helps.

Are you kidding? No apology necessary. On the contrary, thank you for taking the time to try and teach this newbie a thing or two. :D

It seems to me like you have placement dialed in. In the videos everything looks happy and healthy. So when placing corals I will try to glue them in a way that they can be moved, if need be. Maybe I'll glue them to a small piece of rock, then (IDK) epoxy that rock to the bigger rock structure? Hopefully that will allow for trial and error mobility.

Are you kidding? No apology necessary. On the contrary, thank you for taking the time to try and teach this newbie a thing or two. :D

It seems to me like you have placement dialed in. In the videos everything looks happy and healthy. So when placing corals I will try to glue them in a way that they can be moved, if need be. Maybe I'll glue them to a small piece of rock, then (IDK) epoxy that rock to the bigger rock structure? Hopefully that will allow for trial and error mobility.

That is a great way to do it. The epoxy / cement type glue is usually removeable as well. It might take some force to get it off, but usually it's not that difficult to pull off and move. You have to be careful not to knock over your rocks while doing it though.

I wouldn't worry too much. When your ready, just pick a spot. Most coral can adapt to a spot that might not be perfect. I have a "Deepwater" Acro. Have had it for about a year I guess. I put it very high in the tank, not really thinking about what it might normally like. It didn't do much of anything and I kind of forgot about it. It sits toward the back of the tank. I was taking a vid about a month ago and HOLY CRAP! The deepwater has really taken off. Went from one stick to a nice colony. It has aparently figured out a way to thrive despite ME. ;)

Took a few new photo's while doing a water change. Also made some changes in the sump / fuge.

This is a deepwater acro that I put in as a stick almost a year ago. Seems like it didn't do anything for most of the year. Caught my eye a few weeks back and I was stoked with the growth.

Forestfire digi as I was re-filling the tank

Was having trouble keeping the chaeto alive. I built a little box to keep it off the ground (as was suggested by Erin, thank you) and it seems to have done the trick. It's growing like mad again.

And my favorite new pic................ A quartet of Pajama's. These little guys are a new edition. Friends for my lone Pajama that I have had for many years. They were posing for me.

Man, your sump looks nicer than my display tank :D

Nah, if you see the first sump pic........on the left is solid coraline. Took me almost an hour to clean the one side off. Hoping I can just get in the habit of keeping it that way. ;) I also took out a massive amount of chaeto that had settled between the rocks and completely covered the sand. No bueno!

+1

Is the chaeto in the sump under your tank? Wasn't it a GIANT ball of chaeto during the TT?

That forest fire is spectacular!

Hey John,

Yes, the chaeto was growing like mad at first. I think it started working like a sock filter though. It got filled with detritis and I started having to take it out and clean it with every water change. That worked for a while, but for some reason almost all of it just died back. It is now going to be routine to trim it back and keep it in the nice little box from now on. I hope anyway.

Glad you like the Digitata. I think they are pretty cool. Hopefully this one will grow well in here.

Kris, can you also bring me some of the coraline scrapping from your tank - maybe in a ziplock bag? with a little water.( at the tank tour or at BAP)....I would like to seed my tank with it. I have a hard time going coraline in my larger tank.

Back