Our mission

Leemar Starphire 290

Dude am I tripping or what: has that green slimer more than quadrupled in size since you picked it up from me?!?!
No wait... it's way bigger than 4x!!!

These pics are deceptive, they don't show depth!

Is that a rubricephalus I see there?!
Oh the coral growth....my compliments to the chef!
Standing on a chair clapping

Thanks Erin.
Yes it is!! It is still doing well.........just added a few new wrasses that I got from Bob (tankguy). They are all getting along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dude am I tripping or what: has that green slimer more than quadrupled in size since you picked it up from me?!?!
No wait... it's way bigger than 4x!!!

These pics are deceptive, they don't show depth!

You are not trippin. LOL! That thing is insane. I have had to cut it a bunch because I have a fantastic millie growing under it. I have plans to move the millie soon though. So I can let the beast GROW.

Hey all. Been out of touch recently due to an INSANELY busy schedule. New job, yada yada.

I have been feeling really down on the tank over the past couple months. First dealing with the monti eating Nudi's, and losing a few of my favorite Monti's and most recently I have discovered that I have AEFU as well. :mad: It's always something.

I had a buddy over to look at the tank and I loaded him up with some fresh cut frags. He didn't have any dip at home, so I dipped them for him while we were hanging out. I always dip my corals.....first in Bayer and then in Revive. Sooooooooo imagine my surprise when I noticed 1 flatworm at the bottom of the container after dipping. It was CLEARLY a flatworm.

I had one coral that had been slowly bleaching out over a few weeks. I had recently moved it, and then had one of my Kessils crap out. It was a narrow version, turned out to be just the ballast and kessil had one out to me in a few days. It was the weekend when I noticed it though, and I bought a new A360 wide that I put in it's place (this is for a new frag tank that will be going in soon). I got busy and didn't put back the old narrow version for a few weeks. I had attributed the bleaching to this.

So I decided to dip it and see if it might be flatworms, instead of the lighting issue, and sure enough, it was infested. I ended up throwing it out completely because it had a lot of eggs on it. I didn't do anything else for several weeks because I was trying to wrap my head around it. I have worked SO hard on this tank, it was a bit of a blow to me.

I haven't added any new corals in quite some time, so I have apparently had the flatworms for awhile. I had a Melanarus wrasse that was HUGE and FAT. It suddenly died on me without warning. The colors were amazing, even lying dead on the sand, so I was confused as to what could have been wrong. I actually joked that he ate himself to death because he always had a full belly. I am now thinking he had been keeping the worms at bay. I have since added another melanarus and two six lines, a Nahacky wrasse and a large Radiant wrasse.

Well I finally got some time to really look into the problem. I started breaking out the smaller colonies and dipping them. I did a good 10-15 colonies in one day and only found a few flatworms. The corals showed no sign of stress. I did this for the next week or so. I was feeling a little better about the situation because stuff is looking really good despite the critters. I was able to take this opportunity to move a few things around. Now that I had broken out the colonies, I could put them back wherever I wanted. I had a few corals that just weren't thriving were they were, so it was great to find them a better spot. The new placement turned out great and the corals are happy.

I don't have the time, or energy, to try and completely rid myself of the flatworms, so my current plan is just to deal with it. I will keep a closer eye on the corals and dip when I see any stress. I am hoping the wrasse will keep things moving, and I may add a few more in the future.

So with all that bad news...................the good news is that the tank has NEVER looked better. It is still absolutely THRIVING. I took a video on Saturday and wanted to share it. As frustrating as this hobby can be, all you can do is learn from your mistakes, and keep on going. I love my tank, problems and all. Hope you like the video. Thanks.

Beautiful tank. Have any tank shots which show coral growth? Really impressive tank sir!

Thanks, I appreciate it. I do have LOT's of pictures over the years. I will try to put some before and after shots of the tank and the corals when I get the chance.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I do have LOT's of pictures over the years. I will try to put some before and after shots of the tank and the corals when I get the chance.

No worries, I ran through your thread and saw a few but it's always cool to see FTS in succession. I have to say, BAR hasn't had a tank like yours for quite some time since a bunch of big SPS tanks shutdown 2-3 years ago.

You could just let all your acropora and montipora pieces die off, and then wait eventually all those predators will be dead. Knowing you you'll grow a full sized colony from a frag within 2-3 weeks tops! :D

Although you might miss a coral that's hiding somewhere and the pests reduce in numbers but don't completely kill it, and you'll be back in the same boat once you start up again.

Probably best to put it in the same category as aiptasia, you're probably never going to get rid of it completely, just consider it one of the chores you have to do in your tank every now and then.

absolutely stunning. I've also learn to live with the pest in the tank. I spend more money trying to nuke flatworms, bubble algae, and aptasia than on corals.

Back