Kessil

Leemar Starphire 290

We're just getting older and forget what we wrote last time. :)

The 'pimp my regulator' thread is really perfect. (reposting BAYMACs link)
http://www.bareefers.org/forum/index.php?threads/pimp-my-regulator.12295/#post-198422

Hard to beat a medical grade dual stage regulator. They used to be found for reasonable prices on ebay. Since the planted tank folks found this source, the bidding can be fierce! :) The process does require a bit of DIY skills or there are locals that will build out a 'won' regulator for reasonable.

Since these devices can be temperamental it's important to have independent control or monitoring.

Spent about an hour answering your questions after work this morning. Explaining my experience with the calcium reactor and added links to the threads I used. Clicked to preview to make sure the links worked. Got a "maintenance" screen. Hit the back button to copy the work, got the same maintenance message. Lost the entire thing. Not stoked. I'll try to find some time over the weekend to respond again.

Really sorry about that Kris. :(
awww crap! ok i'll ask them again on saturday so you won't have to type it all out.

@denzil do you happen to know what causes the maintenance message?

It could have coincidentally been an emergency maintenance on WiredTree's end or it could be our maintenance window for our forum which I specifically set up to be outside of our usual hours when most people are asleep. We'll have to look around the morning of this past Saturday, Jan. 26.

Well, the tanks got drama again. [emoji31]

Mike (sfsuphysics) came by to grab some frags and we were discussing some issues I have had with a couple of my montis. We got to looking a bit closer and sure enough.......the dam nudis are back. [emoji35]

Spent the day chopping out large colonies of montipora. I have attempted to save small chunks of each that will live in the frag tank for the next few months and get dipped weekly. I threw out several buckets of montis.........i still have a few to cut out this morning. The tank looks very different, but it sure showcases the Acro's. Lol!

My suspicion is that they have been in there the entire time, but the wrasses might have been keeping them at bay..... But they are so fat and happy these days the nudis must be off the menu. So this time all montis are coming out. I do have one encrusted "mystic monti" that I don't think I can get out, but I'll get all the edges and keep a close eye on it. Otherwise the tank is holding its own.

Thanks to Mike and Dan (Tr1gger) for the help yesterday.

On the upside, it's always fun to make changes in the tank. This free'd up a lot of space, and I was able to move some stuff that has potential to much better locations. It is also allowing MUCH more light to lower corals in the tank. This too shall pass. Welcome to reefing. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad Dan came to help after I left, I feel like I jinxed it for you when I mentioned the monti damage may be nudibranch related then sure enough the huge colony you were going to give me... nudibranchs :D

But yeah, best mindset you can go in with is that you have some change in the tank, still have tons of very pretty corals, and now you have more space for more corals... or at least some place to put the montis when you feel you're nudi free.

No problem Kris! I am more there as always for moral support and the occasional push to do crazy things ;)

It was heartbreaking watching monti colonies go into the trash :/ Lucky for you corals grow super fast for ya :)

kris, i have a mystic monti for you if you want

i hate hiccups like this, but i'm glad it's just nudis, and not something you can't figure out!!!

Thx all. The tank is almost monti free. It looks surprisingly good though. I got a bit crazy on Sunday and moved a bunch of corals around to fill in the space. I am very pleased with the outcome and am gonna be having difficulty finding places for the montis to go back. Lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well it's been awhile since I have updated this thing, so I figure it's time. ;) Took some photo's after the tank tour. Thanks very much to everyone who stopped by. It was very cool to meet a lot of new folks in the club. I'm sorry I wasn't able to attend the entire tour. Life should be slowing down a bit soon (I hope!!).

Despite my serious neglect of the tank over the last few months, as well as having to rip out most of my Monti's due to Nudibranchs. The tank is thriving. We are approaching the 3 year mark (february) of setting it up and I am really stoked on the progress. Lot's of problems, and lot's of learning.

Anyway, pics!! ;)

Chalice corals

Neon green plate coral.

This is the best view of the cool red tabling acro in the top / center.

Granulosa (started as a $10 frag from Neptunes)

Back