Kessil

Link's Nanocube-12g, with moding.

well might was out for four weeks and finally I add this Viper K2 JBJ 70watts lighting. I forgot how many K is it, but damn it's really bright. I think I'm going to love this light more than my old lighting.

5810_108681112707_592997707_2153685_527933_n.jpg

Guys I wonder if my current in the tank is strong enough for SPS. I have an Maxi-jet 1200 with an output over 270gph, but it goes through and 90 degree 1/2in pipe and a Hydor, I'm assuming 200gph right? Well can I hold sps?

I want to get some Acropora, or Montipora, but I seen some Difficulty level on Divers Den and I'm nervous of getting them. Are they really hard to deal with?

Anyone read my post about my water flow for SPS?

Update, my tank been horrible lately, it's dirty and the calcium of balance. Too bad I been ill and hospitalize lately and I can't do anything. The only thing that is running at home since Sunday is the light. The pump is shut off for now.

Does anyone use any calcium additives that you can recommend me? I'm thinking of buying Warner Marine Reaearc. Two parts because they presented to me at Baymac. I used to use Sechem calcium powder, but I don't like powder that much, but I does save money by making two parts. Is there any home recipe for calcium? Like for insten Baking soda is great for Dkh and ph. I hope u guys see this, because I need ur help.!

200gph isn't really terribly much for SPS.

If you can't take care of it, maybe you should just call it quits until you can deal with it? Lots of people got out of the hobby for medical reasons or health reasons of one form of the other.

If you are going to stay with it...
Get that pump up before ANYTHING else, don't try to deal with calcium or any of that other stuff. Flow is key to survival of corals.

How is your calcium out of whack? What exactly do you have in the tank that could be throwing it out of kilter? No sps, not many lps, I wouldn't even worry about calcium at all, simply keep up on your water changes and that'll probably keep things running fine.

I wouldn't quit so early, I'm getting better, I should resume soon... I been in this hobby for many years, yes there are days I been out of the home, but didn't have much of a problem. I need a tank sitter, hahaha. I should ask my mother. Hahaha. For calcium, last week I check it was only 200ppm and my dkh was very hi... Ovestly I know that high ph and dkh causes to drop the calcium. So when I come back home, the first place I would stop by is Lucky Ocean, and by some calcium concentration. Does anyone have a brand they recommend?

For high alk and low Ca, the easiest thing to do for a nano is just change water.

What has been your dosing schedule for alk/Ca?

For flow, you could add a Koralia 1 to your tank.

I had a K1 along with a MJ900 and Hydor for SPS in a 12g.

Now I just have softies and a RBTA in there, so I took out the K1.

I concur the K1 is a good choice, however regardless of how good your flow is in there don't go buying SPS until you get everything under control.

I'm still not quite sure what exactly you have in the tank that would cause your calcium to be low and your dkh to be high, but I suggest your salt water mix might be culprit. Test some freshly mixed stuff to see if that's the issue.

Mile, I agree with you about getting things control. I never add anything until things are stable. Yea, everyone say K1 works great for any small tank. Thanks againg everyone.

I agree that you should rarely need to add calcium to a 12 gal system if you are changing a couple gallons a week. Salt such as Reef Crystals will provide eveything you need to keep a good balance of everything. Unless that Nano cube has a giant birds nest in it, I can't imagine calcium intake would outpace your water changes.
I also concur that the most important thing in any tank is circulation of it's water. Rule of thumb is that within 1-4 hours of circulation being shut down, "most" coral will begin (sometimes quickly) to decline and die.
I love my Nano Cube and it's been the proving grounds for many of my advances. Have you added a supplemental circulation pump to your tank? Since "our" tanks are so small, I found that having the extra pump reside in the tank crowded my livestock and aquascape too much. It turns out there is room for a small pump in the middle sump compartment on a JBJ Nanocube. In fact, I added a third pump for return to the system. I drilled a hole near the top of my bulkhead, just an inch below the top water line for exit into the tank and made a slip fit on a barbed fitting that the pump connects to. The extra circulation made a world of difference and nearly eliminated nuisance algae that was settling in with the poor stock circulation. You can see in the pic that I also plumbed mine up for water in and water out, sharing water with the 20 gal tank and the chiller that cools both.

Good luck and keep posting! 8)

John

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/20 gal grow out with Nanogium.jpg

Yea, my tank is running with circulation right now and I'm going to do water change this weekend. The only corals struggling now are the zoanthids and frogspawn, all my other corals like mushrooms, Button corals and Keya Tree is okay. I'm been working hard on this tank this week since I'm back on my feet. Thanks man.. I let you guys know about my chemistry results soon.

Back