Kessil

My 90 gallon tank: video update! (with narration this time!)

gimmito said:
Thales said:
gimmito said:
BAYMAC said:
joining in late, but wanted to comment on an old inaccurate post:

gimmito said:
If the tank was glass and treated with copper then you can't put inverts in there (copper leaches from the silicone).

Urban legend, myth. It cannot leach enough to effect anything, or even be detectable. Not only did I ask this to RHF and a few others, I tested it with an old 20h from a LFS I worked at that always ran copper.

Funny...Dr.Timothy Miller Morgan at the Hatfield Marine Science Research Institute recommends not using tanks that have been treated with copper for inverts also. Sorry if I don't take your advice as gospel. :p

But why take Timothy Miller Morgan's advice as gospel? I could curl your hair with advice from
researchers that is way off base. Also saying he recommends that you not use copper treated tanks for inverts is different from saying that the copper gets adsorbed by the tank or seals and then is re released, that you can't put inverts in such a tank, and is often just a way of saying 'not sure about this, but why not play it safe'.
We talk about this a lot in ceph circles, and I can't find anyone that can supply any evidence that it is actually a problem. And, when the claims of copper in such a tank killing inverts get examined, there are almost always plenty of other things that have happened that explain the deaths.

While I do respect Dr. Miller Morgan, I do not take any one person's advice as gospel (in the hobby). My thought on the subject is why take the chance on killing a animal when a new QT is cheap ?

Gotcha, but that is very different from what you originally wrote. The first thing you wrote was presented as 'fact', the second was a defense of the first (and an appeal to authority), and the third is very different and much more accurate and reasonable.

You know its kind of my thing to look for accuracy and in communication and thinking and to try to kill old reefers tales in their tracks, so sorry if this seems pedantic and I hope it doesn't come across as dicky.

if we all strive to be reasonable and accurate we will move the hobby forward more quickly and stop the spread of inaccurate old reefers tales to cost people money in an already expensive hobby and lives of animals.

Sooo...

Bulkheads are still slighty dripping water. Does that mean that I need to tighten the bulk heads more? If so, doing that today. Hopefully that's all we need to do.

Also...

If I put my big Aquaclear on the back of the large tank while I am gone, will it seed the biomedia? I was hoping to use the Aquaclear as a QT filter for when I got back.

Thanks!

Sometimes alls it takes is a quarter turn.

It should seed it but you may want to feed a little extra right before you stick it on there. The bacteria needs food and if there is enough bacteria to handle your current load, not much will seed the meda IME.

So if I add Dr. Tim's and then set up the fuge (I am assuming I can) and put the hermit in there, will his waste be enough to keep the bacteria in the fuge fed? And put some extra food in there? Also, I will have someone come in and feed my fish, so if need be, I can have her feed the tank every couple of days as well.

Did you get the bulkheads to stop dripping? Sometimes they need the quater turn as BAYMAC said, but sometime the need to be backed off a bit as over tightening can cause the washer to deform.

This is a new tank that you want to cycle right? I would have the tank fed a bit if that is easy to arrange.

Oops, thanks Thales. Yah, over tightening is a real issue with bulkheads.

I also agree on feeding the tank. A hermit isn't enough. Either feed the tank stuff, or, Dr Tim has ammonia he'll throw in the order if you ask, to feed the bacteria.

Yes, we just now got the bulkheads to stop leaking. I guess we were afraid to over tighten. My 60 gallon has been moved!!! Hoses need to be connected, and clamps tightened, then guess what??? RODI WATER!!! Whoop!

I am going to have to make several trips lol. Good thing 160 gallons only costs me $20. I think I will need about 110. OMG aquascaping. Ahhh. I can see the end in sight. What a frickin' relief, this thing has had ups and downs but has been a great learning experience. Also, my fish-- TONS better. Haven't seen spots in almost a week! I lost at least 4 clown gobies, well two for sure and two I haven't seen since they were added. But it's ok. I am going to get back, and order some from LiveAquaria when I get back-- just because I am going to order a clean up crew from them as well. I figured might as well get all my gobies and treat them all at the same time so I can add them all to the tank and hopefully minimize territory issues.

So I will arrange to have the big tank fed as well-- easy to do. Fish are even happier after a 95% water change. LoL had to do so in order to move the 60, but ugh, what a relief that it's done.

I have EVERYTHING for this tank to set up. The only things that I need, will be to get some Salinity and then the water. But after that, I can finally get everything into the tank and out of my small living room haha. ^.^

If you use LiveAquaria, buy from the Divers Den. Those fish have been QT;d and eating for a month usually. Normal LiveAquaria is dropped shipped from a wholesaler in Los Angeles.

BAYMAC said:
If you use LiveAquaria, buy from the Divers Den. Those fish have been QT;d and eating for a month usually. Normal LiveAquaria is dropped shipped from a wholesaler in Los Angeles.

Hmm I wonder if it is the place we are going to stop by and visit on our way back from Alabama lol. Think they'd sell to me? Haha, that would be epic. LoL, think they really have clown gobies in the divers den?

181352_2185044802225_1730171446_1048291_454726052_n.jpg

564356_2185188205810_511062200_n.jpg

550646_2185188685822_1496680880_n.jpg

FINALLY!!! Can't say it's alive yet, but it's pretty damn close. Can you guys think of anything that needs to be done BEFORE I add the substrate, and water??

149309_2185417011530_1730171446_1048512_1595311023_n.jpg

Now I just need to add water!! Yay! Gotta wait until tomorrow though-- want to get the RODI and the little store is closed. Also gotta stop by Neptunes's and get some Salinity. ^.^

Yay!

Are you going to have a sand bed? Sorry if you already covered this earlier in the thread. If not then I would put the fan shaped rock on it's side. I prefer the second layout. Are you trying for a front view tank only or do you plan to scape both ends for a three sides view? I personally prefer the three sides layout because it allows you do do things like have a mushroom garden or areas for softies, zoas/palys or euphillya that are separate from other corals. (Less worry about chemical warfare and easier placement). If you intend for three sides you probably want one less pillar and more space between the glass and rockwork. (if I had to eliminate one pillar it would be the middle of the three group or the taller of the two group.

Complete aside: If you do use the taller left pillar you may want to drill some random holes in it including a few big ones. I picked this idea up from yardartist and really like it. Extra holes in the rock makes things easier and more lively.

You may be able to put a powerhead low behind the rockwork on the right to keep water moving from the back. You need to be thinking about where the powerheads are going to have to be located and pointing to avoid dead zones. If the result is that you need an MP40 in the middle of the front glass...then redesign. ;-)

Sorry bondolo, saw your post late = / must have posted while I was editing the old one. I plan on having a sand bed, an updated pic is at the bottom of page 30.

So far, I have my sand bed and some rubble in the 'fuge and the tank. Can't wait to get water in it!!

remember your 90 gallon tank will not hold 90 gallons of water with rocks and sand in there, even with the sump you lose alot of volume when you fill up the tank so you may not need 110 gallons. just fyi :) You may want to use cheaper salt to cycle your tank, then as you change out water you can use the better salt. Maybe start with Oceanic, Seachem, or Reef Crystals? ( actualy I still use Oceanic or Reef Crystals today on my tanks)

The tank looks good buy the way. Have you tried the canaopy and lights turned on it get?

Apon said:
remember your 90 gallon tank will not hold 90 gallons of water with rocks and sand in there, even with the sump you lose alot of volume when you fill up the tank so you may not need 110 gallons. just fyi :) You may want to use cheaper salt to cycle your tank, then as you change out water you can use the better salt. Maybe start with Oceanic, Seachem, or Reef Crystals? ( actualy I still use Oceanic or Reef Crystals today on my tanks)

The tank looks good buy the way. Have you tried the canaopy and lights turned on it get?

Ah, that's true. Didn't think about that. I have Oceanic, but I don't think I have enough for a whole new tank. I was going to use what I had left to keep my QT up....

Also, just for cycling purposes, how bad is it to use treated tap water? Is it just the diatom bloom I am dreading, or are there other factors involved?

And no, we are horribly slacking on putting the canopy back together. I think we will do that as we get back. We are down to the crunch time with this trip, and I was supposed to get stuff clean yesterday, and instead, it looks like an aquarium tornado went thru my living room = / I have to get water in it, get it cycling, then get everything else done haha.

Difference in price on salt for 100 gal worth isn't that much. Maybe $5? I'd stick with "the good stuff" or whatever you are going to use in the long run personally, but doesn't matter much

Coral reefer said:
Difference in price on salt for 100 gal worth isn't that much. Maybe $5? I'd stick with "the good stuff" or whatever you are going to use in the long run personally, but doesn't matter much

And that's fine, I just hope it doesn't run more than $100 at Neptunes. What about water? Any thoughts on that if it's just cycling?

Also, any ideas on the koralia placement? This has been something that has always confused me, so I am not sure how to place them to make sure that I don't have any dead spots. If need be, I have 4 I can use. I just would rather use two since they are so bulky LoL. I guess it's just really an experiment. We will see

Usually large bucket of salinity makes 225 gal for $65.
1 koralia higher up on the front half of the left side, other lower down on back half of right side.

Coral reefer said:
Usually large bucket of salinity makes 225 gal for $65.
1 koralia higher up on the front half of the left side, other lower down on back half of right side.

Awesome. Thank you for the clarification. Denzil was freaking out-- he thought the salinity would be around $175 for the 225. But I told him to go to Neptunes, tell him that I am from BAR, and that it shouldn't be too expensive. LoL, but he was convinced otherwise.

Awesome to know about the koralias, I wasn't sure if I could do that, but now that I know I can, I will. I have plenty of space in the right hand corner behind the rock for it. Also, should the upper koralia create surface ripple? Or will the water get enough oxygen from going through the skimmer?

Back