Jestersix

New Info for the Feb '08 swap!! Please read!

New BAR frag swap eligibilty requirements!
In order to exchange coral in the upcoming, February '08 BAR swap, you must:

Be a BAR member in good standing as of 09/12/07 and at the time of the next swap

Attend 1 BAR General or BOD meeting between now and the February '08 BAR swap.

There will also be the usual requirement of at least 2 different propagated coral frags per participating member.

Thank You. -BAR Board of Directors

That is not a bad idea. But how're you going to keep track of meeting attendance? The last one I went to in April, I don't remember getting carded at the door ::)

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2395.msg24322#msg24322 date=1189690272]
Subdermal RFID :D
[/quote] With or with out the cancer?

Oh yeah, I think I do remember signing in....Well, they say the memory is the first to go.
Subdermal transmitters? Dude, I've really got to sit in on one of those BOD meetings. It appears I've been missing out on some cool ideas. There does seem to be some resistance to the idea, so maybe we ought to just go with retinal scans.

320x240.jpg

Resistance is futile...

Not fair at all. You guys suppose to post a big sign saying [size=14pt]FREE CORAL REGISTER NOW [/size].....

I'm about to renew my membership >:(

;D JK ... I was hoping you guys didn't post this on RC. I really wonder if our members check this website at all. :D

:D

Phong Pay!

(hehe.... if you speak Vietnamese, Chinese, and English, you'll squirt Diet Coke out of your nose :D )

(damn modify button)

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2395.msg24326#msg24326 date=1189693025]With or with out the cancer?
[/quote]

Cancer is free with every membership :D

BAR is like that, you know.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2395.msg24357#msg24357 date=1189753007]
:D

Phong Pay!

(hehe.... if you speak Vietnamese, Chinese, and English, you'll squirt Diet Coke out of your nose :D )

[/quote]

Now THAT is one I know! Luckily it's too early for Diet Coke.

I'm always interested in everyones view on our decisions so feel free to comment on this.
I'm aware it can all be seen as "I got mine" motivated but it really isn't. BAR is focusing a lot more on responsible propagation and less on just frag distribution. This change is part of the evolving focus of our club and I think it's a great step forward. BAR is also asking its members to be more participatory in other ways than just attending swaps. We support responsible propagation within this community and it's the involvement and participation of the active club members that makes this possible.

I'm guessing this came from the comment on RC, which is actually quite good that it came up because then it can be publicly addressed.

Personally I think membership by <date> is a little strict. Now while it was great for the last swap because it was kind of a surprise "this is the benefit of being a member" event, this event was typically the regional swap open to everyone event and the switch to a BAR only event was a bit of a surprise (but not unreasonable mind you). I think this sign up at the last minute mentality to get free corals can easily be addressed by making the requirement of "Attend at least one meeting as a registered member" granted it means signing up 2 months early is still possible but usually those aren't going to be the "I need to fill up my tank in a hurry" people.

Mind you I'm not saying this is something that needs to be changed for this swap, however you asked for views and this is my view :)

I think it's good to get people to prepare for an event like a BAR swap. Even at the last swap (members only) there were quite a few corals that were obviously beat, whether they were half dead to begin with or mounted early etc. in fact I got one of those corals myself at the end, it barely made it home and died a little later. It was incorrectly labeled on top of it all.

I'm not trying to put anyone down, it just seems to me that sometimes the mission statement gets lost in the line for free corals.

As far as attending meetings goes, that is the best part about BAR, you learn something and advance your hobby skills. You also get to meet people in the club WHO YOU CAN SWAP CORALS WITH YOURSELF. There are more corals out there than just the ones at the swap, I should know half my corals came from trades with BAR members.

Bottom line for me, I've been a member of quite a few aquarium societies in different parts of the country. BAR is one of the vanguard clubs, by far the best club I've ever been involved with. I believe we need to be an example to other clubs that need direction as far as sustainability..... (sorry Jim) err I mean responsible propagation.

I think the 9/12 date is too restrictive. My suggestion is to push that date forward some. Why not use this as a membership incentive, give people a little time to get their membership in order before they are automaticly excluded from the swap? But I would also include the meeting attendance requirement. Just coming to swaps is not in the spirit of the club.

Thanks again Jim for introducing use to BAR.

Posted on RC in response to a comment.

There are quite a few things that we are trying to address with the tweaks to the swap.

---

It's really not so much the issue about what people bring vs. what they take.

The short version is...

It's more about trying to improve how we support the propagation focus of our mission statement.

We're realizing that the current frag swap model may have been a good innovation in earlier times of the hobby, but it's time for us to move forward.

Frags are the first step in propagation, but frags have become a predominant part of the focus. Often to the detriment of the coral and thereby the reefs.

We need to look at the parenting aspect of keeping our corals. That's what will make propagation successful.

In nature, there are 2 contrasting strategies of reproduction and perpetuating a species:

1. A short lived organism invests a lot of energy in producing a vast number of offspring. There is no energy put into protecting and raising the young, and the parents die shortly after. Due to the ravages of nature, only very few of the offspring survive to continue the species.

2. A long lived organism produces a few offspring. There is considerable time and energy invested in protecting and caring for the young to insure its survival and the survival of the species.

Which strategy is more appropriate if we are trying to preserve something that is endangered?

Frag swaps are like the first model. A club can be more like the second model if its members are active in working together to support each other in the parenting aspect of coral care and propagation.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=2395.msg24377#msg24377 date=1189820711]
I think it's good to[...][/quote]

Yah! What Jeremy said. :D

Back