got ethical husbandry?

Photo editing programs

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=5803.msg78664#msg78664 date=1233862094]
what do you use lightroom for? I only use cs3, haven't played with anything else... maybe I'm missing an awesome tool?
[/quote]

Yes you are. Lightroom makes it easier to process a bunch of photos at once.

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=5803.msg78665#msg78665 date=1233862118]
[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5803.msg78631#msg78631 date=1233858368]
[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5803.msg78630#msg78630 date=1233858285]
Photoshop CS4 and Lightroom 2.2 is what I use :)
[/quote]
On my wish list :) I remember you saying that the academic version can't be upgraded, but that might be ok for me. Heck, I still use PS 4.5!!
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you can upgrade even with the academic version
[/quote]Not unless things have changed in the last two years.

what do you use lightroom for? I only use cs3, haven't played with anything else... maybe I'm missing an awesome tool?
[/quote]

Oh boy Art, man are you missing out. Go get it now :)

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5803.msg78679#msg78679 date=1233866804]
[/quote]

Oh boy Art, man are you missing out. Go get it now :)
[/quote]

oh geeze, ok. I'll go download the trial. It has Adobe's Camera Raw!!?? I thought that only came in Photoshop, which is the only reason why I bought photoshop. I do 98% of all my editing in camera raw... time to return photoshop and spend that money on a new lens!

I really like lightroom as well. You can run lightroom and cs3 concurrently and switch back and forward.. There is a right click edit in option in lightroom that will automatically import and open the pic in cs3 or whatever other applications you might want to use ie noise ninja....

CS4 and LR2 are even more fluid now as far as working with each other :)

can someone explain what exactly they do with lightroom? i'm not sure, maybe I'm too used to just using photoshop for my workflow, but I'm always open to other ways / methods!

I really like the library/collection/quick collection options.. I can import a shoot say 600 pics. I can go through them one by one and flag the ones I want to delete.. Then I'll move all the ones I want to work on into a quick collection. Whatever is left just stays in the original import folder for my pictures.. I will do white balance, cropping and maybe some minor tone curve adjustments then save the complete list of files to another folder.. The originals are still intact in their original form. The second set I save of the adjusted pictures save the lightroom adjustments into the pic..

I dunno if any of that makes sense or not but give it a try.. Can't you download it for a free trial straight from adobe..

if you only deal with the RAW file and will not "alert" it, lightroom is the best tool, IMO.
User friendly comparing with Photoshop, photoshop is super software, but too many options .....

I tried lightroom for a few weeks in the trial... ugh didn't like it. Made my flow slower for some reason. Maybe I'm too used to doing things a different way? Like the 4 steps didn't make any sense to me. All it did was import the photos, and then open up photoshop for me. The ACR was weird, it did things differently with "auto" preferences, like white balance and exposure settings. The controls are laid out slightly differently, and I feel like it looks good but is harder to use for some reason.

I'm a big fan of just iPhoto for importing, Photoshop for editing and saving, then flickr uploadr to upload photos, and photoworkssf.com to print... then aaron brothers for framing.

What does lightroom do better? It kind of streamlines importing and photoshop... but iPhoto you can edit in photoshop straight from the photo there too, and imports and stores photos pretty well too.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use lightroom correctly. Weird. I'm super computer illiterate or something.

Back