Jestersix

Reef Hobbyist 29g

Today I discovered something very disappointing... BUBBLE ALGAE :(

bubble.jpg

It looks like very early stage, just 3 bubbles on one of the rock and is certainly something I want to get rid of ASAP. What drives me nuts is that my Nitrates are 0 and Phosphates are 0.03, and wondering what else could this be feeding on!?!?!

tankstatv.jpg

While I'm breaking this tank down soon (migrating to 40 breeder), I'd still like to figure out a way to get rid of this. I know emerald crabs eat them, but not sure if thats the best solution here.

A few people on Facebook suggested removing them by hand? (I'm afraid I'll pop them) Any advise would be appreciated.

For a long time there has been the rumor the bubbles are filled with algae cells or bubble babies. :)

Rich Ross says this isn't true. Just water inside.

Who you gonna believe - the collected rumor of the net or the Skeptical Reefkeeper?

I go with aqua nut. It would be best if you can remove the whole rock and then remove them. If they are where you can't see them get to them you can try the crabs. If you use crabs do it when the algae is small and not too numerous. Don't what long because the only other option I know of is to get a foxface fish. But they require a longer tank than what you have. I have used both methods with success. Good luck.

Reactions: Nav
This is on a base rock and removing it is going to destroy the rockscape and disturb the sand too. Looks like I only have two options:

1) Try to hand-pick them out (from inside the water) which could pop it
2) Ignore it and focus on moving the coral to the new 40gal

Cos anyways I'm going to giveaway/throw everything else (rock, sand) after migrating to the 40.

This setup has been broken down. I have upgraded to a 40 gal breeder...
  • BH-100 skimmer - moved to 40gal
  • Kessil - moved to 40 gal
  • Sand - discarded
  • Rock - 20lbs dried in sun for a week and planning to sell
  • Tank - sold
  • Many frags - Given away to a few local reefers
  • All coral & inverts - moved to 40 gal

Back