High Tide Aquatics

Roc's 120 version 2.0 - FOWLR tank

You may even want to shorten the loc-line, or drill a small hole right at the water line.
Long term, things like that get bumped and moved. Normally not a big issue, but if that means a flood, something to consider.

You may even want to shorten the loc-line, or drill a small hole right at the water line.
Long term, things like that get bumped and moved. Normally not a big issue, but if that means a flood, something to consider.

Does having a hole near the water line cause air to get sucked in (venturi effect?) and bubble up the tank?

Does having a hole near the water line cause air to get sucked in (venturi effect?) and bubble up the tank?
Sorry, meant near = slightly below water line.
Above water might do that depending on exact pipe config, but I think it would more likely spray water out, which is not great either.

I had similar readings the first time I cycled my tank and then had a mini cycle shortly after adding livestock. I would add some amonia and make sure it's converted to nitrate within 24 hors.

I had similar readings the first time I cycled my tank and then had a mini cycle shortly after adding livestock. I would add some amonia and make sure it's converted to nitrate within 24 hors.
Added a shrimp 2 days ago, this is the result

Finally finished the door, and started up the skimmer so I can be ready for fish next week
image.jpeg

Welp got my 1st 3 fish in the tank, Jess from Diablo hooked me up (thanks as always Jess) and I added my Lionfish, my snowflake eel and my Tusk to the tank on Wed. Didnt get the eel into the home i built, but hoping to get him to move over there by putting some food in the entrance way, the other 2 guys are eating up a storm. Jess didnt have any live foods, so I have been feeding them fish frenzy, which they seem to like

Welp got my 1st 3 fish in the tank, Jess from Diablo hooked me up (thanks as always Jess) and I added my Lionfish, my snowflake eel and my Tusk to the tank on Wed. Didnt get the eel into the home i built, but hoping to get him to move over there by putting some food in the entrance way, the other 2 guys are eating up a storm. Jess didnt have any live foods, so I have been feeding them fish frenzy, which they seem to like
Where's the pics?

Where's the pics?
I need to grab some been really busy the last 5 days, I had a huge party here for my moms 70th bday, retirement and 25 years sober and I had to cook for 75 ppl.

In tank related news everyone is eating, although the lion fish seems to not have found a balance with the tusk and during lights on doesn't want to swim freely around the tank. I figured it may just be cuz they are all new to the tank. I haven't seen the tusk go after him or anything but the lion fish kinda just lays next to the rocks most of the lights on part of the day, and seems to swim a lot more after it gets dark. I'm going to start feeding after lights out to make sure he is getting enough to eat.

Having a hard time with the eel, he is just hiding in my rock work, so every time I feed I just shoot a little near where he is hiding

I also installed 2 fans into the hood today, one to draw in and one to blow out on the opposite side, I wanta make sure I keep the air moving through and keep down on the chances of mildew or mold

I will get some pics in the next week, maybe after I do a WC

You might try feeding larger chunks of food instead of the chopped up FF.

When I had a LF, it liked shrimp. Regular old grocery store raw shrimp!

An eel I had loved whole Grunion. Silversides would be a good substitute.

IIRC, neither of these fish need to or should be fed every day.

What type of lionfish did you end up getting? A volitan? Lionfish like to perch on things and won't spend all their time out actively swimming, so that probably has nothing to do with the tusk. The lionfish probably just needs time to adjust to the new tank. Also, my lionfish have always been the most active during the evening hours and pretty much always spend the day perched somewhere. Volitans generally swim in the open more than the species that I have, but I'm sure they have somewhat similar behavior. I'd recommend feeding sometime a little before lights out to suit the lionfish.

Also in terms of feeding, you probably want to get some chunkier food so that you don't make sure a mess with the smaller food blend. Lionfish and eels definitely prefer bigger pieces of food. I go to the local seafood market and buy fresh salmon, squid, scallops, and prawns to make my own homemade food blend. I also buy a bag of frozen silversides from Aquatic Collection to add to the blend. I chop all of that up into appropriately sized chunks and then freeze it in serving sizes cubes. I also target feed each lionfish and my eel using metal tongs so that I don't pollute my tank with a bunch of extra pieces of food. Since eels have bad eyesight and lionfish are ambush predators, they won't go chase down food the way other fish will. This means with just those guys in the tank, you're dumping in a ton of food that will just decay. It may take a bit to get the new fish trained since they're shy, but it's generally very easy to get eels and lionfish trained to eat from tongs or a feeding stick. Oh and also, these guys generally only eat every couple days in the wild, so I only feed mine every 2-3 days.

The snowflake eel might be shy for a bit, but they can go a really long time without eating, so don't worry too much. He should warm up soon. Since they have such awful eyesight, it's best to use a feeding stick or tongs to hand them their food instead of squirting in food. I use tongs and then have to gently tap on my eels nose with the food before he can see it to grab it. He definitely prefers larger chunks.

What type of lionfish did you end up getting? A volitan? Lionfish like to perch on things and won't spend all their time out actively swimming, so that probably has nothing to do with the tusk. The lionfish probably just needs time to adjust to the new tank. Also, my lionfish have always been the most active during the evening hours and pretty much always spend the day perched somewhere. Volitans generally swim in the open more than the species that I have, but I'm sure they have somewhat similar behavior. I'd recommend feeding sometime a little before lights out to suit the lionfish.

Also in terms of feeding, you probably want to get some chunkier food so that you don't make sure a mess with the smaller food blend. Lionfish and eels definitely prefer bigger pieces of food. I go to the local seafood market and buy fresh salmon, squid, scallops, and prawns to make my own homemade food blend. I also buy a bag of frozen silversides from Aquatic Collection to add to the blend. I chop all of that up into appropriately sized chunks and then freeze it in serving sizes cubes. I also target feed each lionfish and my eel using metal tongs so that I don't pollute my tank with a bunch of extra pieces of food. Since eels have bad eyesight and lionfish are ambush predators, they won't go chase down food the way other fish will. This means with just those guys in the tank, you're dumping in a ton of food that will just decay. It may take a bit to get the new fish trained since they're shy, but it's generally very easy to get eels and lionfish trained to eat from tongs or a feeding stick. Oh and also, these guys generally only eat every couple days in the wild, so I only feed mine every 2-3 days.

The snowflake eel might be shy for a bit, but they can go a really long time without eating, so don't worry too much. He should warm up soon. Since they have such awful eyesight, it's best to use a feeding stick or tongs to hand them their food instead of squirting in food. I use tongs and then have to gently tap on my eels nose with the food before he can see it to grab it. He definitely prefers larger chunks.
thanks great info as always

I like to lightly shake/vibrate ocean nutrition formula one or vhp cubes on the end of a clear plastic stick to get them to eat it. Once they do they will swallow them whole real quick. Easy and clean lion fish feeding once trained.

Well did my 1st WC since adding fish and retested the water. The tests all came back perfect which was great. The fish seem to be eating well since I got some live shrimp, I'm a little concerned about the eel as I haven't seen it in about a week, but seems like a lot of ppl say that's true for their eels. I was able to grab a couple pics today of the tusk and the lionfish.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sorry, meant near = slightly below water line.
Above water might do that depending on exact pipe config, but I think it would more likely spray water out, which is not great either.
Tried this but it didn't work, it was make by a loud noise when it was exposed, but wasn't enough to break the syphin. I ended up just turning the nozzle up a little, now it blows where I want and stops filling the sump during a power outage below the rim

Back