Kessil

Tank help Please

Well, after 2 days at my mom's in Santa Rosa, I came home to see the Christmas favia, which was on the same rock as most of the mushrooms has melted also. Most other corals look ok, not robust but ok. Toxic rock syndrome???? The coral that not even Mr. Ugly has is on the same rock and has shrunk some. It's attached to the rock. Should I try to pry it off?
Real concerned now..

somehow check your salinity and your hydrometer, and how sure are you that the Temp is always at 79 degrees and doesn't spike during the day? Is this when your lights are on etc?

are you running carbon? if not, try that as well. maybe something nasty is in your tank.

Good suggestion Art,

Carbon will help remove some nasties from your water. I'd also like to reitterate that I'd do daily water changes until this clears up. Nothing major, just 5% or so each day. With things melting you will get waste that should be removed anyway.

On the extreme side you could ask someone if they have a spare QT available. I'd set this up with straight NSW adjusted to your salinity. If you want something temporary I have a 10G truvu you can borrow with an 80w light and a skimmer. Should be big enough to house all of your new aquisistions. I know you don't want to see the new jewels die.

P.S. Sorry to hear about the favia. When you system is up and going safely again I'll break you a piece of mine. :)

SG with swing arm is 1.027, will add some make-up water. No carbon at this point. Matt, just might take you up on that. Have been looking on craigslist, but haven't bought one.

Water change plus running carbon will aid in getting rid of the toxic stuff as mentioned.

Fwiw, when both sets of lights on the temp on my tank runs right around 78-79. On slightly warmer days (SF days mind you) it may get to 80.

There's no point in prying it off unless it's dead, it just sounds like the corals are in distress.

I don't have rodi water. Using filtered tap water. TDS before filtering is 330. Prime to take out chloramine. Does anyone have a RODI unit available?

We're in Newark. That would be awesome if that could workout!!!! I'd love someone to tell us what we need to buy or change to be more successful. Being half serious about reefing is frustrating. We either need to do it right or not do it!!!!!

Before I had my RO/DI, I used the water from the water store. Not as good as RO/DI but much better and fairly cheap ($.20 a gallon). I don't know about the Prime stuff but check out this thread on RC. I don't think he used the same stuff but it's somewhat similar (I think ;D) .. I would stop using that.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1080179

If you want a cheap RO/DI unit, look on Ebay. They are about $100-$150 shipped.

The best RO/DI unit (IMO) is the spectrapure. It's freaking expensive though. Dropping $300 plus on an RO/DI unit is not something everyone willing to do ;D ..

www.spectrapure.com

Prime was suggested by one of our fearless leaders as the best thing to use. By raising the water level in the skimmer it's working better. There should be a lot of junk to skim out!!

Jim uses Prime with tap water, as do I.

How much Prime are you adding?

I dose .1ml/gal using a syringe from an old Salifert kit.

I was doing DI for a while. Haven't recharged my DI resins, and the spouse was a grouse about the trashcan of DI water sitting in the kitchen. So have been using tap and Prime lately.

Back